vb:literal>

View Poll Results: How often do you look at the encrypted hint before finding the cache

Voters
36. You may not vote on this poll
  • Always

14 38.89%
  • Most of the time

14 38.89%
  • Sometimes if I need to

8 22.22%
  • Never

0 0%
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Using Hints

Don't feel bad WhereRWe, out of the 10 caches I hit yesterday, I had 3 DNF's IN A ROW
    I chalked it up to snow cover until YOP told me that one of them was a real easy one. (I'm still using the snow cover story as long as possible.)
    The bummer was that my DNF list had been cleared (except for archived caches). DNFs on my list bug me and I always go back. The worst ones I've done in 3 visits (like battleship for example)
    I almost always try to find the cache without using the hints. If I'm under some time pressure to get to the next cache, I'll give up in 10-15 minutes, but I usually try to give it some time. My only peeve is when the hint includes info for parking, or other stuff that would be nice to know BEFORE setting out to actually find the cache. By the time you have been poking around in the woods for a half hour, you don't really need to know where to find the entrance to the park, etc.

Red face Lots of great reasons!

If you are ever looking for a list of reasons that you have to log a DNF - feel free to ask me!

For example......I say definitely use the snow as a reason - what the heck, in Maine you can use that for a good chunk of the year! I'm pretty sure it snowed this summer more than once when I was looking for a cache or two.

Here's another one......brdad has ESP and if you have encountered a DNF at Old 470, it is likely because he knew you were going to look for it and scooped it up for some off site maintenance until you left - hehehe - jusssssssst kidding!
    ~ Beach Comber ~

I was at some caches this summer where I could have claimed that the mosquitoes were blocking my vision! Anyone buying that one?

I thought it was snow, but I bet you are absolutely right! I must have been those pesky mosquitos or the black flies that seem to believe they need to fly into your mouth!
    ~ Beach Comber ~

We carry "mosquito wipes" as part of the loot in our geocaching bag, and when we encounter a REALLY buggy area, we try to include a couple of wipes in the cache we visit.

We carry a BIG spray bottle of bug dope for our own use...

Hints? When winter geocaching?!

I find it helps to try to figure out which snowdrift (of many) it might possibly be under.

You know. The big ones that might have a rock hybernating under one of them... Or one of the REALLY big ones with a tree or two growing out from the middle of it. : )

Hints? When winter geocaching?!

I find it helps to try to figure out which snowdrift (of many) it might possibly be under.

You know. The big ones that might have a rock hybernating under one of them... Or one of the REALLY big ones with a tree or two growing out from the middle of it. : )

Post hints/stories?

We are finding out it is sometimes the story, that makes it a fun cache. Using the hints too early have only confused us. Or is that the reason it's there. Anyway thanks to all who have left caches for us to find. We love this sport.
    Soon enough we will be hiding our own and I'm sure we are just devious enough to make it fun.
    Why not live life like it is your last day....instead of pretending to be a member of the Peter Pan Club and believing you will be around forever.

Quote Originally Posted by Sudonim
    I was at some caches this summer where I could have claimed that the mosquitoes were blocking my vision! Anyone buying that one?
    As an entomologist, I can definitely buy that excuse, though I can't use it myself!!