vb:literal>

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Appropiate Cache site?

Default Appropiate Cache site?

I read another log this morning for the Fitz Cache (GCW1PE) and it really concerns me that we are sending cachers to this area? I know that this cache was brought up in the past and checked out and seemed okay. BUT with this most recent cache log I don't think we should be sending cachers there. Please tell me if I am wrong in thinking this. We have not gone to this cache so we don't know what the area is really like. Is it worthy of a cache that we need to risk bringing a younger cacher along then having to explain what they might see??

I know, to each his own and everyone has a right to their opinion but this cache just doesn't seem right. Again tell me if I am over stepping my boundaries as a fellow cacher or shouldn't be saying anytihng especially if I haven't even been there.

If we want to promote caching in Maine to out of staters, is this what we want to promote?? Just a thought...............

If the owner of the cache reads this, I apologize in advance that I didn't e-mail you first., I just wanted to see if I was doing the right thing or not.

Team Teebow 2 (Cheryl)
    I said WHAT!!! You just took me the wrong way......

I personally wrote to GPSFUN just now and told him about this. I hope he will get a hold of the cache owner and tell him to remove it.
    Blazing Troll

Well, I did e-mail gpsfun this morning. I was disgusted reading the most recent log I just don't get it? Why would you place a cache in that kind of area in the first place? Just plain ole creepy. Thanks for supporting me on this one, Rik.

Team Teebow 2 (Cheryl)

Default Rest Area Caches

If we had read the logs, we would have never gone there. I would *not* take a child there. We will probably take a pass on all "Rest Stop Caches" from now on. This area is an active meeting place for homosexual activity and in my opinion should be archived.

Quote Originally Posted by pjpreb
    If we had read the logs, we would have never gone there. I would *not* take a child there. We will probably take a pass on all "Rest Stop Caches" from now on. This area is an active meeting place for homosexual activity and in my opinion should be archived.
    I don't blame you on that decision BUT we have been to other rest stop caches and they certainly were no signs of this kind of activity. I wouldn't giv eup on other rest stop caches, I would just make sure that I read the logs for them before deciding to do them.

Unhappy It is a disgrace to Caching and Ellsworth

I was there on July 7 and posted a DNF because I found the place so "creepy" that I would not get out of the car. I never got to see the areas talked about by others who found the cache. From what I did see I would not want to stop there to eat a picnic lunch.

A house is not a home without a cat.

I share your opinions . . . but of course my opinions didn't really seem to matter to the cache hider since my logs were deleted without even a single e-mail letting me know that my "find" was now null and void (my original find stating how I felt uncomfortable and was approached by several men and another log stating that locals I had talked to said this was most certainly a hotbed for . . . well . . . uh . . . you know what sort of activity I'm talking about). We won't get me started about my opinion of folks deleting log entries without any notification since that's a whole other thread for me to rant about.

After some thought I realized that re-posting the whole kit n' caboodle would most likely end up with the hider deleting my log again so I opted to simply post a find with the statement that the past log entry was deleted . . . however never one to be satisfied I also e-mailed GPSFun who then posted a note to this cache which I thought was very appropriate as it was diplomatic to both the cache hider and seekers. The problem as I see it however is two-fold: 1) Not everyone checks out the log entries and 2) GPSFun's note is now "buried" and is easily over-looked unless you look at all logs.

I have noticed that the cache hiders have not been active since May of this year with only a handful of caches found . . . once again the topic of newbies hiding a cache without getting some experience and a feel to know where to hide the cache, how to hide the cache, etc. is another topic to rant and rage about . . . but not here.

I will say that I do not think this site is OK by any stretch of the imagination . . . I'm not saying it is an unsafe area because I suspect most of the folks here probably have a "live and let live" policy. My main issue is the same as yours -- is this an appropriate place for a cache when there is a darn good chance families may be exposed to something they may not be expecting to see or would want to see. The way I view this is that if I knew a certain city park was a hotbed of activity for drug users I would not place a cache here -- not because I would be afraid that someone would become a drug user, but because it is not an activity I would want children to see.

And in answer to your question . . . is this a really great cache that makes the "risk" worth keeping it around? Opinions are like . . . well, you know -- everyone has their own opinion as to what makes a good cache. My own opinion is that this was not one of my favorite caches -- and in fact it has been the only cache where I have been uncomfortable.

In defense of the cache hider . . . I suspect they may not have known about the activity going on here. It was an honest mistake and more-over as newbies they may have felt a personal affront when folks started to berate the cache and call into question why they placed it where they did. It is a public place and it is a good place for traveling geocachers to stop and stretch their legs . . . but unfortunately a certain element has taken to also using this site.

There are many other sites in Maine that are also used by this "element" or by other individuals engaging in behaviors that are illegal or not appropriate for young children . . . many rest stops apparently are known for being pick-up points as well as a couple of parks right here in Bangor (which I will not name here in public since they do not appear to be as much of a problem). The difference for me is that I have never seen so many people log so many negative experiences as I have at this cache. Cachers at the other spots may not even be aware that they have been in an area known for this activity -- at least I haven't seen any problems in these area's logs.

I don't know if there is an easy solution however.

Quote Originally Posted by team teebow
    I read another log this morning for the Fitz Cache (GCW1PE) and it really concerns me that we are sending cachers to this area? I know that this cache was brought up in the past and checked out and seemed okay. BUT with this most recent cache log I don't think we should be sending cachers there. Please tell me if I am wrong in thinking this. We have not gone to this cache so we don't know what the area is really like. Is it worthy of a cache that we need to risk bringing a younger cacher along then having to explain what they might see??

I know, to each his own and everyone has a right to their opinion but this cache just doesn't seem right. Again tell me if I am over stepping my boundaries as a fellow cacher or shouldn't be saying anytihng especially if I haven't even been there.

If we want to promote caching in Maine to out of staters, is this what we want to promote?? Just a thought...............

If the owner of the cache reads this, I apologize in advance that I didn't e-mail you first., I just wanted to see if I was doing the right thing or not.

Team Teebow 2 (Cheryl)
    "Courage is not the absence of fear, but the realization that there is something more important than fear."

"Death is only one of many ways to die."

Quote Originally Posted by team teebow
    Well, I did e-mail gpsfun this morning. I was disgusted reading the most recent log I just don't get it? Why would you place a cache in that kind of area in the first place? Just plain ole creepy. Thanks for supporting me on this one, Rik.

Team Teebow 2 (Cheryl)
    I think it was (or prefer to think it was) an honest mistake made by a new geocacher who may not have realized what many people do at this site -- which makes sense since there have been many other cachers who have done this cache without any incident. I imagine that whether a person is uncomfortable or not depends largely on when they go -- I'm speculating here, but probably a Saturday evening around dusk when I went is probably a VERY BAD time to go as opposed to going in middle of an afternoon on a weekday.
    "Courage is not the absence of fear, but the realization that there is something more important than fear."

Quote Originally Posted by pjpreb
    This proves one of my points . . . a lot of folks don't read the logs so even if GPSFun were to sticky note his words of advice at the top of the log entries many folks may not see the warning.

Quote Originally Posted by Sabby
    I was there on July 7 and posted a DNF because I found the place so "creepy" that I would not get out of the car. I never got to see the areas talked about by others who found the cache. From what I did see I would not want to stop there to eat a picnic lunch.
    Trust me . . . you didn't miss much other than a ratty looking old mattress, lawn chair and a bunch of other junk that looked as though a couple of bums were staying in the area.