vb:literal>

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Appropiate Cache site?

at first I thought most of the logs were probably over exaggerated, and I thought what the heck, I'm usually well armed, and I was working and had nothing better to do... so I went a did the cache last week. And those of you that know me, know that it takes a lot to bother me... and this place had me bothered, and the goings on around the area were very creepy, when I drove home the same cars that were there 3 hours before were still there. I don't think it's a good spot for a cache and i for one would like to see the cache... or better yet, how bout the whole place removed...
    Once the game is over, the king and the pawn go back in the same box.

Quote Originally Posted by firefighterjake
    I think it was (or prefer to think it was) an honest mistake made by a new geocacher who may not have realized what many people do at this site -- which makes sense since there have been many other cachers who have done this cache without any incident. I imagine that whether a person is uncomfortable or not depends largely on when they go -- I'm speculating here, but probably a Saturday evening around dusk when I went is probably a VERY BAD time to go as opposed to going in middle of an afternoon on a weekday.
    I went there at 9am thinking it would be an ok time... 6 vehicles were parked there, only 2 were occupied (one with his parking lights on...) so I opted to not go... i went back around noon, there were a few of the same cars still there! there we're a lot more people there though actually using the rest stop for its intended purpose so I decided it would be ok to grab it, after I found the cache within minutes and started making my way out, i found one person was watching me, and 3 other men had recently left their parked vehicles and made their way down the trail too... very disturbing, especially if you've never seen a 45yr old man wearing spandex...

Quote Originally Posted by Hiram357
    I went there at 9am thinking it would be an ok time... 6 vehicles were parked there, only 2 were occupied (one with his parking lights on...) so I opted to not go... i went back around noon, there were a few of the same cars still there! there we're a lot more people there though actually using the rest stop for its intended purpose so I decided it would be ok to grab it, after I found the cache within minutes and started making my way out, i found one person was watching me, and 3 other men had recently left their parked vehicles and made their way down the trail too... very disturbing, especially if you've never seen a 45yr old man wearing spandex...
    Seems to me that this area has had a reputation for some time - kinda makes you wonder about the cache owner and why a cache was placed here!

Anyone know the cache owner? Doesn't look very active - 5 caches found and ONE cache hidden - and is not a member of geocachingmaine.org.

Quote Originally Posted by WhereRWe?
    Seems to me that this area has had a reputation for some time - kinda makes you wonder about the cache owner and why a cache was placed here!

Anyone know the cache owner? Doesn't look very active - 5 caches found and ONE cache hidden - and is not a member of geocachingmaine.org.
    it wouldn't be a bad spot for a cache if it wasn't for the obvious reasons, but I've had that same thought before bruce, they have been awfully quick about deleting the posts. but then again it could just be someone trying to avoid trouble with their cache. We only know half the story...

Okay, so do you all think we have reason enough to have this cache archived? I have never been there and I won't be going there any time soon..you can bet on that!! I just never know what to do...I don't want to step on any ones toes, or be the nag......it is just that my gut feeling is that this cache should be put to rest. If the cache owner is deleting logs and hasn't been that active then why bother with the cache at all???
    I said WHAT!!! You just took me the wrong way......

Quote Originally Posted by Hiram357
    Guess I could be wrong . . . by the way thanks for that image of the 45 year old wearing spandex . . . and after I finally got the image of Dave1976 with the Speedos out of my mind!
    "Courage is not the absence of fear, but the realization that there is something more important than fear."

"Death is only one of many ways to die."

Quote Originally Posted by WhereRWe?

I believe it is a couple from the e-mailed discussions I had with them . . . but of course I could be wrong as it is all too easy to hide one's real personality and agenda behind a keyboard.

I honestly do not believe the cache owner put a cache there with malicious intentions . . . I think they simply figured it would be a good spot. I suspect these folks may be just a bit more clueless than me or may not live right in the area and be aware of the activities that go on there. I say this because I can't imagine any really good reason for putting a cache there for malicious reasons.
    "Courage is not the absence of fear, but the realization that there is something more important than fear."

Quote Originally Posted by team teebow
    Okay, so do you all think we have reason enough to have this cache archived? I have never been there and I won't be going there any time soon..you can bet on that!! I just never know what to do...I don't want to step on any ones toes, or be the nag......it is just that my gut feeling is that this cache should be put to rest. If the cache owner is deleting logs and hasn't been that active then why bother with the cache at all???
    I'm kind of curious to hear what GPSFun might have to say about this . . . he seems to be the voice of reason (and has helped me fix problems with my caches so he's A-OK in my book).

Did the cache with my daughter a while ago. We were aware of ffjake's logs and all. Figured we wouldn't be bothered and weren't but there are definitely some concerns in my mind.

If you do not immediately find the cache and overshoot on the trail - there is a very awful meeting place to view. Certainly not a place or site/sight for children. There are folks wandering in the woods - which is creepy and perhaps not friendly for some genders.

This is what I would describe as a rural DOT picnic area. It is not frequently supervised or visited by State workers I presume and therefore folks hang out. This is opposed to Rest Stops in more open areas such as I-95 with Visitor Centers.

Many of these rural areas and even some on I-95 without the Formal Buildings have been closed. I believe because of just the concerns expressed over this area.

When I first read about this cache, I could not believe anyone in or from the area would have placed a cache here as the history of this "rest area" is known far and wide. It is not family friendly and certainly not an area I, as a Native Mainer, want out-of-state folks to remember if they add caching to their visiting activities.

Hope GPS fun looks at the location, along a route which is usually traveled by tourists, and considers this in his decision. It is not the cache container or contents - just the general location.

Has anyone emailed the owner? I think I know at least one person who did with no response. Others?

Quote Originally Posted by firefighterjake
    I'm kind of curious to hear what GPSFun might have to say about this . . . he seems to be the voice of reason (and has helped me fix problems with my caches so he's A-OK in my book).
    As I said I wrote to GPSFUN about this and I will let everyone know as soon as I here from him.
    Blazing Troll