vb:literal>

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Appropiate Cache site?

Quote Originally Posted by Kacky
    I'd rather fight to take the area back, than pull the cache and hand the park over to those guys. It's not about being gay; it's about public sex. They're not even secretive. One guy even asked if I worked for the Bird Sanctuary, since "I haven't seen you here before". I emailed the State Police and did not get a response. I am going to email once more as a courtesy to let them know that if they don't respond, it's going to be in the Bangor Daily News. We can stay away and write the place off, or we can take it back for the public.
    I couldn't have said it better Kacky! I didn't say anything initially because I was looking for the words to say that is not about being gay at all. Well done! I hope the police respond. I am always disappointed when law enforcement doesn't demonstrate what seems to be reasonable attentiveness to an issue.
    ~ Beach Comber ~

The sad part is that if it's not there, it's someplace else... and then there will be another ruined public spot because of this kinda stuff. It happens all over, rest stops, parks, shopping malls. it's not even safe to pull over to a busy rest area to go to the bathroom anymore.
    Once the game is over, the king and the pawn go back in the same box.

Quote Originally Posted by Hiram357
    The sad part is that if it's not there, it's someplace else... and then there will be another ruined public spot because of this kinda stuff. It happens all over, rest stops, parks, shopping malls. it's not even safe to pull over to a busy rest area to go to the bathroom anymore.
    That's right - and if/when you have kids, it will become that much more apparent!
    ~ Beach Comber ~

Quote Originally Posted by Beach Comber
    That's right - and if/when you have kids, it will become that much more apparent!
    I can only imagine, I don't want to see the stuff to begin with, I don't even want to think of what it would be like to take a kid there and have to explain somethin like that, or even if somethin would happen.
    Once the game is over, the king and the pawn go back in the same box.

I feel more against these caches for the most part, and then on the other hand I wonder if it's any different than other dangerous caches. There are several caches in Central Park, NYC for one (I know a geocaching cop who has taken people to get these at night). And then there are the rock climbing caches, deep water hydro caches, and others. But still, I'd rather not see the Fitz type caches around.

What really gets me is you know if someone complained about someone sneaking through these woods to get a cache, there's a good chance the authorioties would be all over us, and yet they seem to do little about the other behaviors going on.

Quote Originally Posted by brdad

What really gets me is you know if someone complained about someone sneaking through these woods to get a cache, there's a good chance the authorioties would be all over us, and yet they seem to do little about the other behaviors going on.
    Pretty ironic!

It is a risk; a rest stop next to Lake Auburn is closed for this very reason. It went to the next level, which is that the cruising attracted predators. Some sick person decided to bait and kill a gay man and knew right where to find one.

I think it has reached a point where the risk of it closing is not an issue, since the place can't be used anyway.
    ~*There's Tupperware in thum thar hills!*~

This thread reminded me to follow up with the State Police and Mr. McCausland responded that the MDOT is in charge of the rest area. Should I keep it going, or would you folks like to join forces on a group letter/petition?
    ~*There's Tupperware in thum thar hills!*~

Well I did indeed email the cache owner about this cache and I might have overstepped my boundaries with a certain remark that I made and I did return another email and did apologize for the inference that I made against this individual. But here is the original email that I sent and then the response that I got.

"It would seem from all the complaints that have
    been logged about the
    individuals that seem to be hanging around this
    cache area that the
    sensible thing to do would be to remove it don't
    you think? I am
    referring to your so called Rest Area cache Fitz
    cache is it called?
    Unless of course you have something in common
    with these types of
    people. I mean come on now this is supposed to be
    a family friendly
    activity and to subject younger kids to this type
    of scene is quite
    uncalled for. Just my opinion. Haffy

This is the response that I got in return.

"I will clearly post a note on the cache page so
    that people are aware.
    Regardless if I have something in common with
    "those type of people"
    that has nothing to do with the cache and saying
    something like that is
    not with the spirit of caching. Instead of
    bringing your concern you
    instead try and say something negative about a
    group of people and
    myself (and just in case you're wondering I am
    straight).
    Fitz42

I'm not so sure if this is the type of response I was hoping for and it seems just putting out a notice to people about it is not in tune with what I think we want to see but I'll let you all decide.

I guess I was a little too blunt in my original response and like I said I did apologize for making that part of my statement. "Open mouth and insert foot" I seem to be doing that alot lately. But again do we really need this type of cache placed knowing what goes on here? I was hoping that the cache owner ,after reading a couple of the posts on the location and goings on at the site that they would have had some common sense and removed it but I guess they prefer to just give notice to whomever decides to go there to make their own choices,which I suppose is within the guidlines so to speak.
    Just smile it won't crack your face

The statistics on sanity are that one out of every four persons is
    suffering from some sort of mental illness. Think of your three best
    friends -- if they're okay, then it's you.

At least Haffy got a response from the cache owner....that's more than someone else I know who wrote them. As of today, they still have not revised the info on this cache. If that was their position they should have jumped on the revision before responding to you. In fact it looks like they haven't been on the GC.com web site since 7/17.

As for kacky's question - I think a nicely composed letter to DOT is appropriate. They should clean up the junk in that rest area and request the police (state, local/as this is in Ellsworth, and county) to patrol more frequently. Perhaps the local State Representative should be invited on a Geocaching trip.

After reading all this and also hearing from other individuals about this I have sent the following email to the cache owner. If he does not see it fit that the cache be removed after my email then I hate to say this but he is not a responsible cache owner.

To whom it may concern

I would like to point out that the cache you placed called “The Fitz Cache” is a scary cache for people to go to and from what I have read and heard from other cachers that have gone to that cache is not very good. I would like to personally request that you remove it or relocate it. I think you know what I am referring to. If not I am referring to the gay activity being done there. I do not think it is appropriate for a male or any other person to go looking for a cache and finding another male individual masturbating in the area. I have nothing against gay people. However if my 16 year old son were to go and do your cache by himself I don’t think it would be in very safe conditions. I do not think it would be appropriate for him to do and any young kid to be in that area looking for the cache. Caching is a sport for all young and old and this spot I feel is not a proper spot to put a cache in because of the activity going on in that area. I am requesting that you please move this cache to another location. I can not make you or force you to do so. I am asking for to please move it to another location. The choice is yours.

Thank you very much
    Blazing Troll