vb:literal>

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Appropiate Cache site?

Thanks for all of your support on this cache issue. I think we should bring a state representitive or maybe the local police on a cache hunt there and see what they think or how they feel. I can't seem to put into words what I would like to say...all I keep saying is that it just does not seem right for a cache to be there. Actualy everything the rest of you have been saying is pretty much how I feel. Some very good points on this.
    I said WHAT!!! You just took me the wrong way......

Quote Originally Posted by team teebow
    Thanks for all of your support on this cache issue. I think we should bring a state representitive or maybe the local police on a cache hunt there and see what they think or how they feel. I can't seem to put into words what I would like to say...all I keep saying is that it just does not seem right for a cache to be there. Actualy everything the rest of you have been saying is pretty much how I feel. Some very good points on this.
    I don't know what bringing a state representitive or maybe the local police to the place would acomplish. They have not say so if a cache gets placed there or not. Maybe bringing them there would let them see the problem though and maybe the area would get cleaned up.
    Blazing Troll

I found a cache at a very similar location near downtown Concord, NH the other day. I kept my cell phone to my ear to look busy so I wouldn't be "bothered".
    "When I get back I'm bringing a weedwacker and a stun gun!"

Quote Originally Posted by attroll
    I don't know what bringing a state representitive or maybe the local police to the place would acomplish. They have not say so if a cache gets placed there or not. Maybe bringing them there would let them see the problem though and maybe the area would get cleaned up.
    I meant that like you said, maybe if these people could see what is gong on at rest stops that maybe something would be done. I highly doubt it though. It is just a scary world out there and you never know what you might be walking into. It's a shame.
    I said WHAT!!! You just took me the wrong way......

Whoever you bring out there will be asking themselves 2 questions. 1. Will it hurt my career if I don't do something about this? 2. Will it help my career if I do?

If a State Rep or a cop has a stake in it, they'll help. If it looks like it's going to be a lot of trouble for not much gain, they will ignore you. I think a news reporter would see it as a way to create a sensational story and get themselves in line for an award, so that's why I'm planning to go to the press with it if I get no response from MDOT. I'll either go to the BDN or one of the TV stations. I won't bother with the Ellsworth American because I don't think they'll do a story that reflects badly on business and tourism. I'd do it myself but I have no outlet in that region. Cynical, huh?

The other route is what some citizens are doing in other cities, which is to show up with cameras and start taking movies and stills, and tell the men we're delivering the pictures to the press ourselves.
    ~*There's Tupperware in thum thar hills!*~

I wish we could go back to editing our own messages! I just want to add that I feel bad about it because the men were polite on the day that I was there. One guy even stopped to talk about the weather. But if I had run into anyone having sex, I would have been pretty upset. And if I were a man, I would not have felt safe at all. Also the privy seems to be a message drop and I wouldn't want a child to read that stuff.
    ~*There's Tupperware in thum thar hills!*~

In another responce to a thread by haffy, I will post my $.02 here.

I just read the forum about this on geocaching fourms. I agree, a cache like that should be taken away, replaced, or atleast disabled. Without reading the logs to that cache, others wouldn't know what to be aware of, but back to the point, why the hell is there a cache here... Maybe the owner did not know about these "activities" here, but if he did that's just wrong in so many counts.

A new thread? http://www.geocachingmaine.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1584
    Sorry, you can not add yourself to your own ignore list.

Before this gets MORE carried away, I'd like to make a suggestion? Everyone just needs take a moment, take a deep breath and remove their PERSONAL BELIEFS from their posts for this topic before submitting them. Going to ANY place for a geocache where people are unexpectedly and openly engaging in sexual acts are hopefully the ONLY issue people are having, not the sexual orientation of the people that meet here for it. A hotel window cache or a cache under the bed of a married couple should be no less disturbing.

To reference this cache as ‘bad’ and also to mention the cache owner by name is completely uncalled for. They haven’t signed into their account for two weeks now and have only found five caches. They hid this in the middle of May, probably way before any of this would have been obvious. They also could have hid it in April as well and waited to submit it to geocaching.com – why this ‘topic’ ever got posted to the groundspeak forums is beyond me. Now there are STUPID posts regarding mosquitoes of all things! A simple e-mail to gpsfun and it would have been over and done with, even though he was already well aware of the situation.

Here at geocachingmaine? Posting a simple ‘Hey, you might want to check out this cache listing before you go do it… just in case’ note and locking the topic on this site would have been the way to go.

I hope all of you are ready to stand behind TAT (no matter what!) if someone comes along and inadvertently does something similar as to what Haffy just did. I'm sure this geocacher is equally as blindsided as TAT would be right about now?

... There is now 2 topics on this and if you read what Attroll said in the other forum --- you might want to read the whole story before basising your opinion...your not making much sense.
    Sorry, you can not add yourself to your own ignore list.

Quote Originally Posted by GeoMaine
    To reference this cache as ‘bad’ and also to mention the cache owner by name is completely uncalled for. They haven’t signed into their account for two weeks.
    It does not matter whether they have signed into there account in two weeks or not. They have been replying to emails from cachers within the last week. So they know the problem but continue to ignore it. We have gotten GPSFUN involved in it and and I am sure it will be taken care of.
    Blazing Troll