vb:literal>

Thread: RE: Maybe it's time for new software

Default RE: Maybe it's time for new software

This past weekend I was riding on the ATV and of course I had my Magellan with me. As some of you know originally I purchased this GPSr because I was tired of getting lost. For the past year I've really liked the software that came with the bundle -- Mapsend Direct Route -- and found few faults . . . until Saturday.

On Saturday we stopped beside Deer Lake which is a pretty significant body of water and my software did not show the lake . . . whereas another member of the ATV Club showed this lake and several others that my software failed to show.

While I love the DirectRoute software as it allows me to auto-route (turn by turn directions to waypoints) I'm thinking that since I also purchased this unit for use in the woods maybe I should get some new software for use while ATVing, hiking, etc.

So here's my questions . . .

1. Does anyone have experience with Mapsend Topo (3D or the older versions)?

2. Does anyone have experience with Delorme's Topo USA-East?

I'm curious what folks think of these programs -- good or bad. Delorme is quite a bit cheaper.

Finally, a question for Magellan users most likely, can we switch back and forth between software systems? For example, can I use my Direct Route software for caching and then use topo software for ATVing and switch back and forth depending on what I'm doing?
    "Courage is not the absence of fear, but the realization that there is something more important than fear."

"Death is only one of many ways to die."

i can't answer any of your other questions, but i do have mapsend topo - and i like it.

Quote Originally Posted by firefighterjake
    This past weekend I was riding on the ATV and of course I had my Magellan with me. As some of you know originally I purchased this GPSr because I was tired of getting lost. For the past year I've really liked the software that came with the bundle -- Mapsend Direct Route -- and found few faults . . . until Saturday.

On Saturday we stopped beside Deer Lake which is a pretty significant body of water and my software did not show the lake . . . whereas another member of the ATV Club showed this lake and several others that my software failed to show.

While I love the DirectRoute software as it allows me to auto-route (turn by turn directions to waypoints) I'm thinking that since I also purchased this unit for use in the woods maybe I should get some new software for use while ATVing, hiking, etc.

So here's my questions . . .

1. Does anyone have experience with Mapsend Topo (3D or the older versions)?

2. Does anyone have experience with Delorme's Topo USA-East?

I'm curious what folks think of these programs -- good or bad. Delorme is quite a bit cheaper.

Finally, a question for Magellan users most likely, can we switch back and forth between software systems? For example, can I use my Direct Route software for caching and then use topo software for ATVing and switch back and forth depending on what I'm doing?
    "life is short...make a mess of it!"

Quote Originally Posted by becket
    i can't answer any of your other questions, but i do have mapsend topo - and i like it.
    So how do you figure out how to get to the cache site . . . by looking at the Delorme maps? Currently my DirectRoute software will auto-route me to the street closest to the cache which is a handy feature.
    "Courage is not the absence of fear, but the realization that there is something more important than fear."

"Death is only one of many ways to die."

Quote Originally Posted by firefighterjake
    So how do you figure out how to get to the cache site . . . by looking at the Delorme maps? Currently my DirectRoute software will auto-route me to the street closest to the cache which is a handy feature.
    mine does auto route, also. yes, i use the delorme maps. i won't say how many times i got lost before i put this all together.
    "life is short...make a mess of it!"