vb:literal>

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Bad Rest Area Caches

Default Bad Rest Area Caches

Just out of curiosity I started a thread concerning Bad Rest Area caches in the GC.com forums to get an idea of what others have encountered and maybe some thoughts on them. Here is the link...http://forums.groundspeak.com/GC/ind...&#entry2383637
    Just smile it won't crack your face

The statistics on sanity are that one out of every four persons is
    suffering from some sort of mental illness. Think of your three best
    friends -- if they're okay, then it's you.

I just read that forum. I agree, a cache like that should be taken away, replaced, or atleast disabled. Without reading the logs to that cache, others wouldn't know what to be aware of, but back to the point, why the hell is there a cache here... Maybe the owner did not know about these "activities" here, but if he did that's just wrong in so many counts.
    Sorry, you can not add yourself to your own ignore list.

Sorry, you can not add yourself to your own ignore list.

Thats the one that is referred to Jordan....lol

Default Why can't people use their own judgement?

Why do we need to use Geocaching as a nanny service? it is a cruel world out there with danger at every step of the way. You are far more likely to get killed driving to a cache than you are to be accosted by someone when you get there.

I have a rest area cache. The rest area is the first impression many tourists get when they enter Maine. There has been one incident reported to date (that I know of). I think it is important to have a cache welcoming people to Maine. I hope I'm no forced to remove it. Is one incident to much or do I need to wait for a second problem?

Bad stuff happens everywhere and it will no matter what Geocachers do.

I agree TAT.

Danger comes in many forms. I remember a number of times when a cache that I was doing may have been more dangerous than I cared for. A walk too far into the woods by myself, one more step takes me down an embankment that I almost didn't see, finding myself in a questionable location in a city, being followed or encountering people I don't know while caching, climbing along the edge of a wall that is adjacent to a dam, etc. There are many, many scenarios. Each person must decide what is acceptable for him/herself. Posting concerns in the cache log is a good way to help people be aware of the potential.

I am concerned that there is now a general thought that rest area caches should be reconsidered. I have done many great rest area caches. There are also a number of positive posts on that cache. I am not condoning what is happening there, but I think we have to be careful about how we present this as it relates to geocaching. There are two issues to me.........

1. Whether the cache owner should or shouldn't move or archive the cache. Effort has been made to address the issue through the right channels with gc.com and that is the path that should be continued.

2. Whether the non-caching activity that is taking place there should be reported and then working toward having it stop.

I am concerned that Geocaching Maine will look like it is on a cruisade to expose the activities of that rest site. I hope that should it be taken to the press, the police, the whoever/whatever that is done so without a blanket statement that this website and the associated geocaching community wants to stop what is going on. There are individual opinions involved here and if one has an issue, that person should speak for him/herself when addressing this.

We want a voice, but we have to be very careful how we put it out there. I am not saying a voice shouldn't be used, only that if it is that is done so carefully and is well thought out.
    ~ Beach Comber ~

I think both Tat and Judy have made very good points. The only thing that I am saying is being a responsible cacher and cache owner I think we ought to set an example for others when placing caches. In this one instance even after many posts complaining of the events and incidents that took place at the site I think the owner should have at the very least written on the cache page that the area was not a very kid friendly area to be in. Even in the cache attributes is says it is kid friendly. Being a responsible cacher that I think I am I surely wouldnt have left this cache here if it was mine after all the complaints that it received and I'm sure that our members here would have done the same.

d’76 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by tat
    Why do we need to use Geocaching as a nanny service? it is a cruel world out there with danger at every step of the way. You are far more likely to get killed driving to a cache than you are to be accosted by someone when you get there.

I have a rest area cache. The rest area is the first impression many tourists get when they enter Maine. There has been one incident reported to date (that I know of). I think it is important to have a cache welcoming people to Maine. I hope I'm no forced to remove it. Is one incident to much or do I need to wait for a second problem?

Bad stuff happens everywhere and it will no matter what Geocachers do.
    I think I agree for the most part. I was recently shot at at a cache site. No really I was. All BS aside. I didnt think that the cache should be disabled or archived or anything like that just maybe be aware of your surrondings when out there. I can think of alot of dangerous caches out there. Maybe you get hit by a car while crossing the road in search of a puppy. I dont think we should get rid of rest area caches but maybe just the one in question.

I didn't see anywhere that all rest area caches should be eliminated,in just this ONE instance even after all the complaints nothing was done to make others aware of the potential goings on here.

d’76 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Haffy
    I didn't see anywhere that all rest area caches should be eliminated,in just this ONE instance even after all the complaints nothing was done to make others aware of the potential goings on here.
    I would love to see this cache go. I will help anyway that I can.