vb:literal>

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Another pesky tourist

Question Another pesky tourist

Hi,
    We are doing a family trip down the coast from Lubec to Kittery and up to the White Mtns near N. Conway and back through Bangor and Calais in August. What I am looking for is some nice family caches as well as beaches, water parks and nice places to stay (no camping this trip). Anything you care to contribute would be much appreciated.

dragonflys

Default We Met

Hey Dragonflys... I'm sure we met in Nova Scotia on Grave's Island. I wish I was going to be around in August. I would love to take you on a tour of the capital area, but will only be around a couple of days. Are you headed this way? My caches are pretty easy and one starts in a nice picnic area with a playground (MumsBee). Do you get the connection of this cache with Nova Scotia?

will definitely be in Augusta on the way home, wifey has to stop at Walmart there. I was the host at Graves Island (the prize guy) and it was nice you made it up, I think you were the only international cacher. I recognize the name of your cache

catch you next time maybe

dragonflys

Quote Originally Posted by Kaching Karen
    Hey Dragonflys... I'm sure we met in Nova Scotia on Grave's Island. I wish I was going to be around in August. I would love to take you on a tour of the capital area, but will only be around a couple of days. Are you headed this way? My caches are pretty easy and one starts in a nice picnic area with a playground (MumsBee). Do you get the connection of this cache with Nova Scotia?

I recently did six caches on a rails-to-trails system in Wolfeboro,N.H.,they were all very family friendly.Going to N.Conway from Kittery you will probably be traveling on rt 16,when you get to rt.109 go left,Wolfeboro is maybe 10 miles.Just before rt. 28 will be the rail trail,four caches can be done from there ,one from behind the boat mueseum on rt. 28 and one just a little farther down rt. 28.All are short walks and mostly easy finds.

Ive been told there are nice caches in N.Conway,but have not done these yet.While in N.Conway make sure to see Cathedral Ledge and the Kangamangus Highway.

where is a good beach and water park in So. Maine?

I promise I will leave my speedo at home

Quote Originally Posted by dragonflys

I'm rather partial to York Beach's many sand beaches . . . however after dragging my wife down to York's Animal Kingdom, the beaches, Nubble Light and the candy place in town one too many times my wife says I am forbidden from bringing her back there at least until the year 2011.

I can tell you what beach I detest . . . Old Orchard Beach. Dirty. Expensive. Crowded. Cheap. I went there once just to see what all the hullabalo was about the place, paid $5 for the priviledge of parking in some guy's front lawn, walked among the crowded Speedo-wearing 350 pound men and women, checked out the 1970s vintage carnival-like attractions and shops on the pier and left soon thereafter.

Saco has a half decent waterpark I believe . . . Splashtown next to Funtown USA.
    "Courage is not the absence of fear, but the realization that there is something more important than fear."

"Death is only one of many ways to die."

Thanks Jake,
    I had the same feeling of Old Orchard, not to dis it, but reminded me of the seedy section of Niagara Falls, not what I am used to travelling around Maine.

d.

Quote Originally Posted by firefighterjake
    I'm rather partial to York Beach's many sand beaches . . . however after dragging my wife down to York's Animal Kingdom, the beaches, Nubble Light and the candy place in town one too many times my wife says I am forbidden from bringing her back there at least until the year 2011.

I can tell you what beach I detest . . . Old Orchard Beach. Dirty. Expensive. Crowded. Cheap. I went there once just to see what all the hullabalo was about the place, paid $5 for the priviledge of parking in some guy's front lawn, walked among the crowded Speedo-wearing 350 pound men and women, checked out the 1970s vintage carnival-like attractions and shops on the pier and left soon thereafter.

Saco has a half decent waterpark I believe . . . Splashtown next to Funtown USA.

I usually wait until winter to go to OOB. My family has spent alot of time there going back 50+ years so it is kinda sentimental. One of my aunts was stationed at the convent just a hair south of the main drag for 15 years.
    They say I have A.D.D. but they just don't understand. Oh Look! A chicken!

Last time I went to OOB in the summer was about 10 years ago. I was wading, looked down and there were dozens of cigarette butts swirling around my ankles. I haven't been back since except in winter. Bleah.
    ~*There's Tupperware in thum thar hills!*~

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by dragonflys

Ogunquit is quite nice. The beach there is quite sandy, although a lot of it disappears during high tide, so place your belongings up high! The area is quite popular for boogie boarding. There is a river which runs from the salt marsh into the ocean that is fun to play in. You can float on the current (direction dependent upon which way the tide is going) in a raft or inner tube, or go snorkeling. There is much to see in the channel... striper bass, shiners, crabs, blennies, prawns, etc. We even have seen lobster and some sort of stone fish.
    The only catch is that parking is expensive. It can cost from $5-$10 a day. The good news is, that they have trollys that can transport you all over town, so once you've found a parking spot, you can keep it and travel all around. Of course, if you have a hotel in the area, you're set for parking and can just use the trollys. Once you're done at the beach, there are quite a few nice shops and restaurants around. Perkin's Cove is especially nice!

For those who don't like OOB, try Ocean Park, just a little south of there. Not nearly as built up or crowded, plus they allow dogs!

For waterparks, there is also Aquaboggin, just up the road from splashtown.