vb:literal>

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Get to know your nominees!

Quote Originally Posted by FuddsGirls
    This forum will help me greatly in the voting since I am still having a hard time narrowing it down
    To be honest, each of the nominees is very well qualified to represent GeocachingMaine. I've known all of them for years, and I'd have a VERY tough time eliminating anyone from the list.

Yes ,it would be nice to see all of them represented. It will be hard for me as well. Maybe they can be on one of the ad-hoc committees if the board decides to go in that direction.
    Just smile it won't crack your face

The statistics on sanity are that one out of every four persons is
    suffering from some sort of mental illness. Think of your three best
    friends -- if they're okay, then it's you.

Many of you know me from posts, the chat room and from events that I’ve hosted and attended. I am very committed to keeping Geocaching fun for all, cachers and land owners alike. I started caching in January 2002, have found over 600 caches in 26 states and several countries. I am possibly the southern most cacher in Maine, living in Kittery! Numbers are not important to me, but the stories are! I want to keep the stories coming and keep them as adventurous and fun as they have been. GeocachingMaine.org is at a cross roads. We have outgrown our informal, “round the stove” talk site and are now need to be a little for formal without loosing what we have become.

Why should you support the efforts to organize?
    1. We need to establish a clear way to determine and carry out the wishes of all the members, not just the most vocal. Projects, such as the 2005 Coin were very difficult to finish. There were plenty of good intentions and effort, but there was no way to fairly say what the forum participants wanted.
    2. We need to preserve land access. When I started caching, there were less than 100 caches. Now, there are over 1300. As the popularity of caching increases, so does the concern on the part of land owners and mangers. Some land owners and managers are very open to working with individuals, but some simply will not.
    3. We need to resolve issues that come about during the sometimes heated discussions we have. It would be easy to find and copy a set of forum rules or guidelines from some other site and get a small number of moderators to enforce the rules. Without an engaged approach to moderating, we risk alienating members and having split off groups that feel left out of the process.

How should we organize?
    The best way is encourage participation and input from everyone and the worst ways concentrate decision making in the hands of a few. The group decided last week to create a five member board to make decisions on the future organizational structure. The five member board may or may not be the best way to balance the need to make timely decisions and the need to satisfy all of our members. The measure of success of our new structure should be your satisfaction. If the methods developed are successful, our members will back decisions even if they do not always agree.

What do I have to offer?
    1. I work in research and development. I routinely work to find and implement new ideas. With a systematic approach, all ideas can be considered and evaluated without bogging down in endless discussion.

2. I am currently working with The Nature Conservancy to restore Geocaching at Mt. Agamenticus. I expect to have approval next week. I am particularly proud of the plan because we will be able to be an important tool in meeting the goals of the land owner. Geocaching can be a sought after activity if cachers and land owners realize the potential of Geocaching.

3. We will have difficult, complicated and confounding decisions to make. There may be more than one right answer or no right answer. The group must make decisions and back them. I am a consensus builder.

We are very fortunate to have so many great people to volunteer and I look forward to helping in any way I can.

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by tat
    We are very fortunate to have so many great people to volunteer and I look forward to helping in any way I can.
    That just says it all...thanks Tat. I think we all feel this way. I feel a big group hug coming on...

Quote Originally Posted by WhereRWe?
    To be honest, each of the nominees is very well qualified to represent GeocachingMaine. I've known all of them for years, and I'd have a VERY tough time eliminating anyone from the list.
    I agree Bruce...I declined because of time constraints but I'd feel comfortable with any of those who accepted to represent gc.org.

Thank you all for sharing your bios and ideas. I belong to a couple of National Dog Clubs and this is how we "get to know" the judges who are nominated to judge our specialities before voting.

Not as nice as knowing them in person [] but better than not knowing anything about them at all.

Thank you all for sharing. There are many more on this site, well qualified, but time does sometimes limit the abiliity to participate. I respect those who recognize their limitations.

Quote Originally Posted by hollora
    Thank you all for sharing your bios and ideas. I belong to a couple of National Dog Clubs and this is how we "get to know" the judges who are nominated to judge our specialities before voting.
    Hmmm Blogging dogs? Interesting!

This was a great idea since it really allows folks to express not only their commitment to geocaching and this site, but also their own philosophies . . . choosing just a select few will be a difficult decision.
    "Courage is not the absence of fear, but the realization that there is something more important than fear."

"Death is only one of many ways to die."

I haven't been as active a participant of these forums, or of Geocaching in Maine, as I should have over the last year. However, as one of the founding members of another organization (the Geocachers of Kentucky) I think this organization is off to a great start.

Had I been more of a participant this year, I might have thrown my hat in the ring. I hope to become more active in Geocaching this year (not that I'm campaigning for any future elections - grin).

In any case, I think these posts have been very helpful in getting to know the candidates, and their stances. It does not help me vote, however. The people who have been nominated all seem to be capable of representing the site and the sport in Maine quite well, and in the end it's tough to choose five from the twelve nominees.

For those of you who are elected, thanks in advance for the work ahead, and for the rest of us, let's stand ready to help in any way we can to forward the sport in Maine.