vb:literal>

Thread: Went Caching in New Brunswick today...ARG

Default Went Caching in New Brunswick today...ARG

OK... so I am going to vent on this because there is no rants and raves catogory here. I wouldn't be surprised if this forum gets deleted or locked, but here it goes.
    I set out this morning to do geocaches in canada, my first few were DNF's after looking for 30+ minutes each and they have t/1 and d/1's so I am assuming they are missing.
    I planned on doing 28 in total, I did 10. After 10 I gave up on the rest because I did not like what I was finding out.

1.) In Canada -- do they know what maintaining thier caches is?
    Most had water in them, the logs were so wet I couldn't sign.
    2.) I know they use the Km feature instead of Miles, but do they use some other odd way to do waypoints, most were off by 100+ feet... and my GPS was right on acuracy all day.
    3.) The locations --- pathetic, pointless!! You walk .2 miles in the woods through thorns and spikes to dig up a cache full of water. There is nothing to see besides grass and trees. I did a few right off the roads, one was in a thorn bush, now what the hell...

I like geocaching because I like to find out new things -- exploring. I like to place geocaches in areas of INTEREST where you can a.) learn from something, b.) A history place, c.) Nice sites, etc.

I did 10 caches in 4 hours because most waypoints were so off I was getting annoyed. I don't think I am ever going to be caching in Canada again anytime soon. 3 of the caches were micros. All micros were wet and were in trees so hard to get to, it wasn't even worth going. One was on the ground with the cover off and the log book just on the ground...

I don't want to speak as a whole, because I am sure there must be some good caches in New Brunswick, but from what I expieranced today... I was NOT impressed.
    Sorry, you can not add yourself to your own ignore list.

First of all let me say amen brother. I have been preaching what you are saying for a while. It seems that there is a group of cachers only interested in saturating. Poor caches lead new cachers into thinking that is acceptable and proliferating more bad caches.

Second, please don't paint all Canadian cachers with the same brush. There are some really excellent caches in New Brunswick and Nova Scotia where I cache that I am sure would think are great. It is a bit of a drive unfortunately.

Sorry for your bad experience I have been there too

dragonflys
    Make love not micros

And while you Canadians are at it could you please change back to the non-metric system . . . it would make it a lot easier for us if everything were in feet and miles.
    "Courage is not the absence of fear, but the realization that there is something more important than fear."

"Death is only one of many ways to die."

Dragon -- thanks for understanding. I agree, I have heard of excellent caches outside of this area --- but for the most part, in my opinion 95% of the caches in the grand falls/50 miles area is trash. I don't care if the owners are reading this or not, it's the truth.
    -The place setting, is in the middle of no where and no significance of nothing! Going through brush piles and getting scraped and cuts and labels it a d/t of 1.
    -They never maintain thier caches, wet, broken
    -They all seem to be 50+ feet from actually coords (maybe they guess?)
    -It makes playing the game not fun!

Again, I was going to do 28 today and the reason I stopped at 10 is because I gave up because the why keep getting annoyed with caches that are wet, need maintence... and nonetheless, POINTLESS. I am sure there are good ones out there... but for the most part, what I expeiranced today... I can tell you exactly whose caches I am staying away from. Right now there are 4 users that I will no longer be doing any of thier caches because they dont maintain them... or know where in hell to place them and how to mark down the actual waypoints!

Thanks for hearing me rant.

Oh ya... how about you cutt the taxes down from 15% while your on a roll too...
    Sorry, you can not add yourself to your own ignore list.

I never understood why we went metric when 80-90% of trade is with the United States. Taxes are too high but what am I to do.

Getting off topic, I feel your frustration as I am pushing for quality over quantity. There are cachers up here I know put out nice caches with good co-ordinates and I look forward to doing them. The are other tho who put out any old container any old place and snap one wpt and walk away. Those cachers I learn to ignore.

My family just got back from Maine and New Hampshire and I tell you if we could move there I would in an instant.

I you ever come down this way drop me a note and I will prescreen you caches, heck if I'm off I'll give you a tour

dragonflys
    Make love not micros

Quote Originally Posted by dragonflys
    Second, please don't paint all Canadian cachers with the same brush. There are some really excellent caches in New Brunswick and Nova Scotia where I cache that I am sure would think are great. It is a bit of a drive unfortunately.
    I agree. We've been caching in 4 Canadian provinces, and have been caching in New Brunswick 5-6 times. We've found a few "nasty" caches, but for the most part, they're great. You must have hit one bad area.

The caches placed by Starzz in Campobello are as good as you'll find area, and the locations are beautiful. Some of the most imaginative caches we've seen are in the St. John, NB area, and the cachces on the Irving Nature Park really bring you back to nature. Fredericton has a lot of "urban caches", but most are in nice parks or historic areas which are worth the visit.

I think you just had a bad experience, and I hope it won't prevent you from caching New Brunswick again.

Quote Originally Posted by firefighterjake
    And while you Canadians are at it could you please change back to the non-metric system . . . it would make it a lot easier for us if everything were in feet and miles.
    I'm not worried about feet and miles - it's cents per liter for gas that concerns me! How much am I paying per gallon??? LOL!

Quote Originally Posted by WhereRWe?
    I'm not worried about feet and miles - it's cents per liter for gas that concerns me! How much am I paying per gallon??? LOL!
    And the Magic Eight Ball says . . . The same as here in the States . . . TOO MUCH!!!
    "Courage is not the absence of fear, but the realization that there is something more important than fear."

"Death is only one of many ways to die."

Quote Originally Posted by WhereRWe?
    you don't want to know, that is why it is in litres

1.195/l * 3.9l/g* 0.87 US$/CDN$ = HOLY C*** (4.055)
    Make love not micros