vb:literal>

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Geo Rallye - MGA

I had actually planned on attending this event, but other obligations reared their heads like they do for most events I want to attend (grin), so I'll have to give this one a miss.

Best of luck, and I hope it is an enjoyable event!

Quote Originally Posted by firefighterjake
    Not to get too sidetracked, but I never cared for locationless caches very much . . . not because they were not in a specific location, but because so often they were restrictive and would not allow more than one geocacher to log the same locationless area . . . I mean just how many working steam locomotives, suspension bridges, etc. are there in the U.S. As I said, just my opinion.
    This is why I did some of them...when you did one, no one else could do it. It was "yours" ....found, photographed, and logged and could not be repeated. I found some very unique and interesting spots because of these caches so I certainly think they were worthwhile and many took much more effort than some of the traditional caches I've done. As far as having a fixed location, there were moving caches that were allowed at one time that didn't have a fixed location. It's just a preference thing...if you don't want to do them...don't. Oh...hello from Colorado...I won't be at the MGA event either.

Sounds like it will fun and exciting! Unfortuantely, I will not be able to attend as I have an Artisan Show commitment at the Wharf Street Festival on Long Island (Maine, that is).

Have fun!
    ~ Beach Comber ~

Quote Originally Posted by Gob-ler
    The 26 caches are regular caches that will be listed Saturday on GC.COM. John has put out 15 and I have put out 11. We have eliminated ourselves from the FTF hunt. We as individuals will be able to search for the other persons hides.

I havnt seen any new ones yet

I'm curious as well as to why they haven't been listed on GC.com yet. If they were to be regular caches then they should have been posted for all to hunt at the same time and not just the people who entered the Rally. Not that it matters to me as I won't be traveling all the way down there in the near future but I'm sure there are others who would have liked to have had a chance at the FTF. Or maybe the reviewers just couldn't get them listed all at once then and the Rally didn't go as planned. Too bad if that happened after all the work by the MGA crew did to make it go.
    Just smile it won't crack your face

The statistics on sanity are that one out of every four persons is
    suffering from some sort of mental illness. Think of your three best
    friends -- if they're okay, then it's you.

The rallye is taking place now as we speak. The caches will be listed this afternoon. That is pretty much standard operating procedure with events like a georallye.

I would think that being a paying member of GC.com and getting instant notifications that you would be entitled to the same benefits to hunting caches that were being published on GC.com as any other member. I don't know all the protocols for holding a Geo Rally but it would seem to me that any cache that is published by GC.com would be posted at the same time and not withheld from the rest of the geocaching community. So does that mean that any cache that was found before it was published is not really a found cache til it is published? In other words is it possible that after the rally is over and the caches have all been found by those who have taken part in the Rally that the next person who finds the cache After it is published will get credit for the FTF? I am confused about this whole thing. Any one care to elaborate on this?

Quote Originally Posted by Haffy
    I would think that being a paying member of GC.com and getting instant notifications that you would be entitled to the same benefits to hunting caches that were being published on GC.com as any other member.
    All people are equal. And then there are some that are more equal than others! LOL!

Don't try to figure this out Haffy. It isn't worth the effort...

This is merely speculation on my part, but I would think that in order to ensure the caches were in place and unmolested for the rally that they would not be published on GC.com. Once the rally was done, it would be OK to submit them for publication for the Geocaching public at large. Of course, I could be wrong.

Makes sense I guess ,then after and only after they are published then they are eligible for the regular cache find or FTF if that is the case.