Quote Originally Posted by kayakerinme
Maybe it is something gc.com allows.

If it's not worth getting excited over, why post a message that appears to imply that somehow the cachers involved in the rallye don't match the morals of all cachers? If so, what morals do I have (or lack) as a result of being a part of this event? If not, could you please elaborate on what you meant by posting that comment?

Thanks.
Just because one cacher has a set of morals or standards he goes by does not mean that another cacher is better or worse because of his morals. For the most part, this is an individual sport and we can make our own judgements as to the way we want to cache. The world if full of people with varying morals and standards, and in basic life situations who cares? Some men open a door for a woman, some don't. Some people go to church, some don't. It doesn't make anyone better than the next, it just shows the diversity among us.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoamdezinahs
To brdad Dave you said: So I guess what I am saying is it's not worth getting excited over, but at the same time we have to expect it not to match the caching morals of all cachers.

In answer to moral caching standards wouldn’t you agree that a member of this site, that is running for office, and who is a geocaching.com charter member should have higher moral caching standards than most cachers? Yet this same person has a personal website that is spreading lies, trashing, insulting, inciting and flaming fellow geocachers for no other reason than he doesn’t agree with them, and he’s upset because they started another organization. Wouldn’t you agree he should be trying to get along instead.
I'm not sure how my caching standards compare to other cachers. And I don't care to compare them. They are for my use. They regulate how I decide to cache, and not you or anyone else. I may express my beliefs, but you can ultimately decide your own caching morals.

As far as any pages on my web site - I am not a liar. If there is anything you think is untrue there, feel free to show me proof to the contrary and I will be glad to edit it accordingly. And I am not upset about a new organization. I am upset that this organization was confronted with questions well in advance in which they would not answer at the time, yet they promised to answer them after they went live. When I did just that, I was attacked back at as if they had never expected the questions before.

Quote Originally Posted by Gob-ler
Morals, now that is an interesting subject.

Especially interesting when the decision is made to place a whole group of cachers (40 or so) into the realm of not being moral because they chose to participate in a GeoRallye where the caches were published on GC.Com after the event.

I find it somewhat amusing that this sort of description would be used, but not surprised that it would come from this web site.

Let me raise a question or two for you to chew on.....

Moral's is an interesting subject. The most important thing is who you are when no one is looking. Who you are usually shows in the long run. Folks can begin to figure out rather quickly when what you say does not measure up to what their personal experiences are.

My Grand Mother taught me as a young child that if I could not say something nice that I should say nothing at all. It is a good way to live one's life. Most of the time I have followed that advice and when I did not I always regreted it.
It seems these morality questions would be better suited in a different thread, but here are my (and only my) answers to your questions:

1. That does not match my caching morals. If I want a hint, I will ask, and will ask the cache owner. And I certianally would not offer explicit directions to a cache that was not mine.

2. I had to read this one a few times to see where your issue was. I think now you are implying the cacher went with the cache owner when it was hidden and logged the find/FTF. If so, I feel the validity of the find is between the cacher and the cache owner. Myself, I would not feel right claiming it as a find unless I stayed back out of site when it was hidden and then used my GPS to find the cache while the hider looked on. I would not claim it as an FTF. But again, that is me, if other cachers want to do that I am not going to get excited about it.

3. IMO, This goes outside caching morals and is just standard internet relations. Myself and others were treated rather unfairly as new people at another site recently as well. It happens and is unfortunate. This site is a site of the members, and every member is different. There are bound to be some disagreements and confrontations. It is great when everyone can get along, but this is not a perfect world.

4. Again, IMO this is another issue outside of caching morals. I don't think it's neccessarily right to talk down other people in any situation. And many people deserving do not need it - they generally show themselves for who they are eventually. But it does happen, and in many cases people should stand up for themselves.

As far as reflecting on the site - how does this work for people who belong to both sites? If this person talk me down, does it make both sites look bad? Hoamdezinahs called me a liar, does that make both sites look bad? Sometimes you have to disconnect the member from the organization. If not, you'd better look down on all the other organizations I am a member of as well. Oh wait, that means geocaching.com is bad as well....

Folks can begin to figure out rather quickly when what you say does not measure up to what their personal experiences are.
Feel free to check any caches I have found or placed to see if I logged them against MY gecoaching morals.

My Grand Mother taught me as a young child that if I could not say something nice that I should say nothing at all. It is a good way to live one's life. Most of the time I have followed that advice and when I did not I always regreted it.
The real world is not always nice, but I say if you can't be nice, at least be truthfull. I haven't yet said anything here I regretted saying. I have on a few occasions, however, wished I worded some things slightly differently, as we have discussed in recent PMs. I can't say the same for some who have deleted entire threads for what I think the reason was saying things they wished they had not said. At least that's the way it came across top me.

---------------------------

All that being said, my previous post was not against the rally or any of you. I was actually trying to back the rally up some by saying that while some people may not agree with the finding of caches before they are approved, Geocaching.com is aware of the process so those people should just let it be. Or, if they are very strongly against it, they should confront Geocaching.com to see about changing it.