vb:literal>

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Geo Rallye - MGA

John, The MGA rallye caches are legitimate legal caches that have been found and logged. The FTF’s are over and done with. These caches are just as legal as “Member only caches”, and holding caches for special events is done all the time. You must not have read gob-lers post. My wife and I ran an event just like this in Florida in Jan of this year, and all the caches were held until the end of the event for listing on GC.com. Hum, I wonder if anyone down there cried about it.

On the contrary I wasn't crying about anything I was just wondering how all this seemed to work out was all. All you had to do was read my posts. I was just asking a simple question and you seemed to read something in my posts that wasn't there. Glad everything worked out for you all and hope everyone had a good time.
    Just smile it won't crack your face

The statistics on sanity are that one out of every four persons is
    suffering from some sort of mental illness. Think of your three best
    friends -- if they're okay, then it's you.

John I’m sorry you misunderstood me. I wasn’t implying you were crying anymore than you were implying the MGA was doing something wrong. I was just wondering out loud if some of the Florida people were upset. It doesn’t make sense to get upset at something that GC.Com allows, don’t you agree.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoamdezinahs
    John I’m sorry you misunderstood me. I wasn’t implying you were crying anymore than you were implying the MGA was doing something wrong. I was just wondering out loud if some of the Florida people were upset. It doesn’t make sense to get upset at something that GC.Com allows, don’t you agree.
    I am not sure it is something gc.com allows - it's more of something they can't really enforce. Otherwise, why wouldn't pre-approved caches be visible online? And upset may be a strong word, but I would not be surprised some of the Florida people were not overly pleased with the practice. I'm sure you didn't ask them all. But you can't please everybody and it is just a game. If a non-rally participant had found out the coords for all the unpublished caches and FTF'd them before the rally started, you would probably not have been happy about it either.

I personally would most likely not be as proud of an FTF acquired on a yet to be listed cache. I am proud of one such FTF I got, but I didn't have coords or any description for that particular cache, only the park it was in. The circumstances can make a difference. There was also another cache at that park for which approval was delayed and therefore a good number of people at the event found that cache before it was listed. But if a friend gave me coords to his cache before it was published, the FTF would not be as valuable to me, and I probably would not consider it as an FTF anyway.

So I guess what I am saying is it's not worth getting excited over, but at the same time we have to expect it not to match the caching morals of all cachers.
    DNFTT! DNFTT! DNFTT!

"The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it..."

Quote Originally Posted by brdad
    I am not sure it is something gc.com allows ...

So I guess what I am saying is it's not worth getting excited over, but at the same time we have to expect it not to match the caching morals of all cachers.
    At the same time we were participating in this rallye, another nearly identical event was (and still is) taking place in Massachusetts: (GCX363)
    http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache...2-56670a01859f

This event was published by a different reviewer (MadMin) than gpsfun.

The Great Smoky Mtn GeoQuest (GCRMN6) http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=a5b62b50-8325-438b-af80-ebe61cce1135 was also run under similar rules and cache publication, though the cache page has been changed to show the results, also published by a third reviewer.

Maybe it is something gc.com allows.

If it's not worth getting excited over, why post a message that appears to imply that somehow the cachers involved in the rallye don't match the morals of all cachers? If so, what morals do I have (or lack) as a result of being a part of this event? If not, could you please elaborate on what you meant by posting that comment?

Thanks.

To brdad Dave you said: So I guess what I am saying is it's not worth getting excited over, but at the same time we have to expect it not to match the caching morals of all cachers.

In answer to moral caching standards wouldn’t you agree that a member of this site, that is running for office, and who is a geocaching.com charter member should have higher moral caching standards than most cachers? Yet this same person has a personal website that is spreading lies, trashing, insulting, inciting and flaming fellow geocachers for no other reason than he doesn’t agree with them, and he’s upset because they started another organization. Wouldn’t you agree he should be trying to get along instead.

Morals, now that is an interesting subject.

Especially interesting when the decision is made to place a whole group of cachers (40 or so) into the realm of not being moral because they chose to participate in a GeoRallye where the caches were published on GC.Com after the event.

I find it somewhat amusing that this sort of description would be used, but not surprised that it would come from this web site.

Let me raise a question or two for you to chew on.

1. I was approached by cachers yesterday and informed that when a DNF was logged on a Gob-ler cache that a prompt email was received from someone quite well known in these circles that gave expilicit detail as to where the cache was hidden. That is really not in the spirit of Geocaching at all. More interesting is where that information came from. How moral is that?

2. Recently there was a FTF logged on a cache that was hidden. Signature but no date. It just so happens that the person who logged the FTF was also out caching the day before with the person that hid the cache. Of particular note is the fact that I have seen dozens and dozens of logs by this cacher and every one of them was dated in some fashion. Maybe it is not as it appears, but it certainly looks strange to me. Is this a moral issue that needs to be dealt with by the Morality experts?

3. What can certainly be reflected on some posters here is how unfriendly they can be to new folks here. It has happened time and time again. Is this a "Moral" issue too?

4. Another cacher yesterday commented that they did not find me to be anything like what they had been told by some folks over here. How does that reflect on this site? Is this another "Moral" issue?

Moral's is an interesting subject. The most important thing is who you are when no one is looking. Who you are usually shows in the long run. Folks can begin to figure out rather quickly when what you say does not measure up to what their personal experiences are.

My Grand Mother taught me as a young child that if I could not say something nice that I should say nothing at all. It is a good way to live one's life. Most of the time I have followed that advice and when I did not I always regreted it.

Wow, anyway I got a FTFAP (first to find after posting) on " another dam micro" today. Good micro, if thats what you like. I didnt have the 40 bucks for it and dont own a digital camera, so I couldn't play in the rallye. That is a high price to pay for something that is suppost to be free. Just my 2 cents.

P&F, the Georallye is just a different sort of event. I certainly understand where your coming from on the cost thing. The bottom line is that all who participated in the Rallye enjoyed themselves very much. They all talked of coming back for the next one. I guess that is a good thing.

The difficulty comes along when folks who do not agree with it become vocal and make discrediting comments (I don't think yours are of that nature).

As for the cost thing there were expenses associated with doing the rallye. Neither John or I used a single penny for expenses associated with placing the caches. The containers, paint, cache contents etc were all out of pocket expenses that we paid for personally.

The offer was made I believe for folks to run it with out paying the $$$, they just would not be eligible for prizes and awards.

It was a very good time with lots of excitement in the air from beginning to end. Read the event logs and see.

Quote Originally Posted by Gob-ler
    P&F, the Georallye is just a different sort of event. I certainly understand where your coming from on the cost thing. The bottom line is that all who participated in the Rallye enjoyed themselves very much. They all talked of coming back for the next one. I guess that is a good thing.

The difficulty comes along when folks who do not agree with it become vocal and make discrediting comments (I don't think yours are of that nature).

As for the cost thing there were expenses associated with doing the rallye. Neither John or I used a single penny for expenses associated with placing the caches. The containers, paint, cache contents etc were all out of pocket expenses that we paid for personally.

The offer was made I believe for folks to run it with out paying the $$$, they just would not be eligible for prizes and awards.

It was a very good time with lots of excitement in the air from beginning to end. Read the event logs and see.
    I think it would have been fun (although confusing) But I just got back from ohio around 1am this morning (after about a 13hr straight drive)

were there good prizes?

are the caches now available to public?

congrats on pulling off a succesful rally
    Once the game is over, the king and the pawn go back in the same box.