vb:literal>

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: New Maine geocaching web site

The Shadow Guest

Default New Maine geocaching web site

Is another Maine geocaching web site considered a milestone. www.mainegeocachers.net

Can you share a bit about the intentions of your site? Are you interested in establishing another organization? Are your plans to use the website as an additional resource to cachers in the state? etc.

My intention of the questions is not to present opposition in any way - am just curious. Thanks!
    ~ Beach Comber ~

My first guess it's the MGA, who have decided to make a fresh start. Not that it's a bad thing, they have had a rough month. Why else would they create a new account here to announce it?

Anyway, what's there looks nice, but it would be nice to know what your plans are.

I don't want to make any unfounded accusations, but at first glance I would be inclined to think that your logo breaks the geocaching.com Logo Usage and Trademark agreement. But, perhaps you got permission to use it?

Best of luck with the site, it'll be interesting to see how this site develops.
    DNFTT! DNFTT! DNFTT!

"The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it..."

brdad : at first glance I would be inclined to think that your logo breaks the geocaching.com Logo Usage and Trademark agreement.

At first glance, I'd agree. On closer examination, it appears they recreated the little coughing-man from scratch (different angles, different line styles, and he has "turned his head and cough"ed rather than straight-on as in groundspeak's version.

Though, as I understand it (IANAL), "confusingly similar" matters more in trademark disputes than actual source material (which would infringe copyright rather than trademark).

In any event, let's not go attacking the poor guys before they've done anything wrong. I always (try to) ignore people's known previous online aliases (unless they troll specifically by making new names every other post), to give them a chance to change their ways.
    Ego non quaero te in nomine Patris, sed in nomine Signali.

Quote Originally Posted by brdad
    I don't want to make any unfounded accusations, but at first glance I would be inclined to think that your logo breaks the geocaching.com Logo Usage and Trademark agreement. But, perhaps you got permission to use it?

Not to mention a couple violations to the user agreement of this site... LOL

General Rules...

1. You will adhere to the User Agreement at all times

6. You will not make posts that are inflammatory with the perceived intent to rile people up (i.e. "trolling" and "flaming" are prohibited).

10. You will not hijack threads for your own purpose but, rather, will begin a new thread with the new subject.

11. You will not link to images on other websites unless you have authorization to do so. This kind of "hot linking" is stealing the bandwidth of the server you link from, and is not appreciated.

21. You will not register more than one Member account without prior approval of an Administrator.

Love it or hate it, these are the rules to live by, User Agreements.

All the little things aside, I hope the new site works out for the owners, whoever they may be, MuHaHaHaHa!!!!!!!

My question would be: Who is "The Shadow"? Is it a known geocacher? Does he(?) have any geocaching experience? What is the purpose of a third(?) Maine geocaching web site?

Unhappy Sinking to a new low

Quote Originally Posted by The Shadow
    Is another Maine geocaching web site considered a milestone. www.mainegeocachers.net
    The following is simply MY opinion, and may or may not echo the thoughts of other members of our Geocaching Maine website.

When I first saw this thread my first thought was that someone with a great sense of humor had done a parody of recent events..but no. Instead I went to the site and the first thing I read was MORE site bashing, finger pointing, and an attempt to undermine the work that has been done here to create a friendly place for all geocachers. If the TRUE purpose of a new site was to promote geocaching, it failed miserably. Wouldn't it have been more in the interest of geocaching to simply state THEIR goals and leave the other sites out of it?

I certainly cannot even BEGIN to respect all the anonymity of the "administrators" of the site. I was going to send an e-mail to "the Shadow" but, to make things even worse, they are not accepting e-mails. Why on earth should anyone be afraid to say who they are? Good grief! Ours is a GEOCACHING site, not a secret society with a hidden agenda to take over the world.

Another thing I object to is that if any newcomer to geocaching in Maine finds that site they will be left with a really bad opinion of what we are all about. I certainly hope that people aren't fooled by that pretty little picture on their homepage.

Rose

d’76 Guest

heres what i gather from all of this.

http://www.geocaching.com/profile/?g...c-f0f99f9f5bdd

Are these the types of shadows we want in the back ground trying to run another maine website.

The MGA has nothing to do with this. We have been busy working on the Geo Rallye.

Sorry to disappoint and surprised you would even suggest it.

Too bad we all just can't get along.

Default Hoax

To me this looks like nothing more than a poor joke and a hoax. I am so sick of all of this, with the exception of a the few of you, and you know who you are. I am going caching by myself, and doing it MY WAY, by MY RULES. And there's nothing anyone can do to stop me. I am a considerate cacher, that loves a good cache. Thanks for allowing me your time to read this and the space to write it. Hope to see some of you on the trails soon.
    Why not live life like it is your last day....instead of pretending to be a member of the Peter Pan Club and believing you will be around forever.