vb:literal>

Thread: Out of darkness

Default Out of darkness

The American Foundation of Suicide Prevention will be holding a "out of darkness" walk On Baxter Bouvl.,Portland Me. at 9am,Sept 10th.This organization does wonderful things in both prevention and victim support.

Cheryl and myself will be leading a team in the walk in memory of her son Joe who we lost to this #1 killer of teens in the state of Me.Anyone wanting to join us or get more info can email Cheryl at Cherlynn9582000@yahoo.com. or you can reach her at HTTP://Williamjoeday.memory-of.com. Thanks Vic

Vic, to you and your family, I am sorry for your loss. The memory site for Joe is outstanding and shows his vivid legacy.

I will not be able to attend this event but please know that you will be in my thoughts that day as I coordinate a local 5k road race to benefit breast cancer research here in Bangor.

Thank you for sharing this with us.

I have a good friend and co-worker who also lost his son to suicide a number of years ago. I will not get into the details, but if there is anything positive that came out of this event it was the fact that I became much closer to this man . . . it was hard to know what to say or what to do when I learned what had happened so I did the only two things I could do -- I brought him and his wife some sandwiches (yeah, that's me . . . always thinking of food) and more importantly I went to their house and just sat there and listened to him. Sometimes it's the words not spoken that say the most about a person.

I learned something from this experience as well . . . the family and friends from someone who has committed suicide do not want the memory of their son, daughter, husband, wife, brother, sister, friend, etc. swept under the proverbial carpet . . . it seems so often that other folks simply want to gloss over what happened and pretend that the suicide never happened which seems to me to not be the right way to remember the person.

Vic, I know it's been a year or so, but my heart is still with you and your wife.
    "Courage is not the absence of fear, but the realization that there is something more important than fear."

"Death is only one of many ways to die."

Quote Originally Posted by firefighterjake
    I learned something from this experience as well . . . the family and friends from someone who has committed suicide do not want the memory of their son, daughter, husband, wife, brother, sister, friend, etc. swept under the proverbial carpet . . . it seems so often that other folks simply want to gloss over what happened and pretend that the suicide never happened which seems to me to not be the right way to remember the person.
    jake, this is so true. a few years ago, i co-facilitated a hospice support group for people who had lost loved ones to suicide. it was an amazing group and i learned a lot from them. (and to just listen is the best thing anyone can do.)
    "life is short...make a mess of it!"

Thanks for all the kind words!!As I told Cheryl,geocachers aren't only wierd people who look for Mctoys in the woods, some actually have feelings and other interest.

Jake you have learn the most important lesson of all,friends just need to be there.