vb:literal>

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Quality Time

Default I have mixed feelings

about micros and regular caches. I've cached in Maine, NH, NY, and Canada and have found great caches in each area and also meaningless caches in each place. There is a micro in Rochester, NY in front of a restaurant, that was challenging and fun. It is a VERY busy place and it's hilarious reading the logs to see what people went through to be unnoticed while getting the cache and signing the log. And I don't care for urban caches. But, I have seen other micros that I saw no point to as well as regular caches that were just "there", with no other purpose than to be a "number." With the low density of caches in Maine, you try to do all of those nearby before traveling longer distances. When I'm in NY or Canada, where there seem to be many more in a smaller area, I pick and choose based on the descriptions hoping to find some interesting places. I guess it goes back to "why" the cache was placed...a great view, a great hike, a nice preserve or park. Why do you want people to visit your cache? Hopefully you can get an idea of this in the cache description and it makes the search more enjoyable.
    Last edited by parmachenee; 10-28-2004 at 04:14 PM.

Default Advertise here!

I've just been reading the geocaching.com forums about the bomb scares in Indiana and California. Someone found a cache or saw "suspicious activity" at a cache location and decided to call the police, who in turn call the bomb squad to blow the cache up. Reading things like this make me really glad of the nice rural caches we have in our neck of the woods. It also makes me want to be really careful when I do cache in the city!

Angry Ugh!

Oh man! My mother has been telling me this would become dangerous I hate it when she's right! LOL

I have also heard stories about people using the GPS approach to coordinate drug/money exchanges. Another unfortunate use of technology!

I must say, I have visited the Queen City cache in Bangor several times (without success!) and wonder each time when someone from the Federal Building that is adjacent to it is going to come out and ask me what I am doing. So far, it hasn't happened, but I can only imagine that there are a number of people who are wondering what is going on.

Quote Originally Posted by Beach Comber
    Oh man! My mother has been telling me this would become dangerous I hate it when she's right! LOL
    I have also heard stories about people using the GPS approach to coordinate drug/money exchanges. Another unfortunate use of technology!

I must say, I have visited the Queen City cache in Bangor several times (without success!) and wonder each time when someone from the Federal Building that is adjacent to it is going to come out and ask me what I am doing. So far, it hasn't happened, but I can only imagine that there are a number of people who are wondering what is going on.
    I felt the same way when I "found" that micro in the lamp oost at the Wendy's in Newport. Sheesh! I felt sure someone would see me and be certain that I was involved in a drug deal.

I'd much rather be out in the woods behind a group of trees...

Quote Originally Posted by WhereRWe?
    I felt the same way when I "found" that micro in the lamp oost at the Wendy's in Newport. Sheesh! I felt sure someone would see me and be certain that I was involved in a drug deal.

I'd much rather be out in the woods behind a group of trees...

What I do in a case like that is not even look at the person and say I'm waiting for a good signal, then hold it up to my ear.... THAT is something that most people believe. Tell them you are hunting for tupperware in the woods (or in this case, a parking lot) and you will have some men in white coats come visit you.

Thumbs up Great idea

That is perfect - LOL!!

Thumbs up The Best

Jen, That is by far the best (and funniest) idea I have ever heard presented on this website. I WILL use that if I'm ever questioned about what I'm doing wandering around in circles. Thanks....

Quote Originally Posted by Geochicks
    What I do in a case like that is not even look at the person and say I'm waiting for a good signal, then hold it up to my ear.... THAT is something that most people believe. Tell them you are hunting for tupperware in the woods (or in this case, a parking lot) and you will have some men in white coats come visit you.
    I gotta admit that - on several occasions - we've had people come up and ask "are you lost?". Any ideas for a comeback are welcome! We ALL know how difficult it is to explain geocaching to a geomuggle...