vb:literal>

Thread: A new type of "hunt"

Default A new type of "hunt"

Was doing a little research on the web when we stumbled onto this site. Find a Grave. Thought some folks might find it interesting, others not so much so.

I've already visited a "site" locally that is currently unoccupied, and hopefully so for many, many, many years huh FFJ?, and they can be interesting. I've also visited several other "sites" that have been related to geocaches, some with very sad stories, some with very historical stories, some with no story at all (Mr. Thomas Luce) and while not directly related to caching there does seem to be some occassional parallels with this site and geocaching.

Cache On!!

Geocaching in cemetaries can be a very controversial subject.I for one feel there is nothing wrong with doing this,as long as it is done in a respectful matter.I have done a number of these,laugh at some, cry at some,but learn something at all of them.I feel those that have gone before us,still have things to say.We only have to listen.

I've said before if I have any sort of consciousness after I am dead and buried, I welcome the occasional cacher wandering aimlessly around me looking for a cache as opposed to lying around with a bunch of dadbeats all day. If I have no such consciousness, I'm not going to care!

I have visited this site before quite a while back. Many people from the past have some nice history to share, it is great if geocaching can help keep just a few of those stories alive.
    DNFTT! DNFTT! DNFTT!

"The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it..."

As some of you can tell I have often enjoyed visiting cemeteries and seeing some of the history contained there as it can be quite educational and there really are some fascinating people buried in some otherwise quite ordinary cemeteries.

The caches that I have done that take people in or near cemeteries have been done in cemeteries that for the most part are seldom used or in some cases nearly forgotten . . . and in all cases the cache itself is located outside of the cemetery.

If you're ever in Vermont one of the most fascinating cemetery headstones I have ever seen was that of President Calvin Coolidge who was a very unassuming man while in office. While Presidents these days have Libraries built for them and rather ornate memorials, Coolidge's gravestone looks like all the others around it with the exception that it has a Presidential seal on the stone and mentions the fact that he was a President -- talk about humility (something that a lot of today's leaders could learn something about.)
    "Courage is not the absence of fear, but the realization that there is something more important than fear."

"Death is only one of many ways to die."

Quote Originally Posted by firefighterjake
    If you're ever in Vermont one of the most fascinating cemetery headstones I have ever seen was that of President Calvin Coolidge who was a very unassuming man while in office. While Presidents these days have Libraries built for them and rather ornate memorials, Coolidge's gravestone looks like all the others around it with the exception that it has a Presidential seal on the stone and mentions the fact that he was a President -- talk about humility (something that a lot of today's leaders could learn something about.)
    He is featured on the site posted.
    http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg...r&GRid=6551998
    DNFTT! DNFTT! DNFTT!

"The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it..."