vb:literal>

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: A Confession

You go! Your enthusiasm and interest is obvious. I appreciate your willingness to share your thoughts and insight. I know that my perspective has changed and I will be much more aware of ratings, etc. I am going to look at my caches and make sure I have them indicated at appropriate levels
    ~ Beach Comber ~

Thumbs up

Very inspiring story,thanks for sharing it with us.If you are caching in the Abbot area and need a push let me know.I also would stongly recommend not doing Deathwish #1 or #2...

Quote Originally Posted by Haffy
    Not trying to be critical at all Bruce it's just that some people's 1 rating is not another person's 1 rating. In my opinion a 1 rating means that the person can ACTUALLY reach the cache from the wheelchair or scooter and I can't see where that is possible in a couple of the ones that you mentioned
    I understand that, Haffy. But my comments were intended for MainelyRoses, not a general commentary on 1/1 caches in general. I fully agree that most 1/1 caches cannot be reached by someone in a wheelchair, but the ones I mentioned I still fully believe are suitable for someone with MainelyRoses' limitations.

The "suggested standard" that Geocky adopted a few years back is that a cache is a minimum 1.5 difficulty if it cannot be reached from a wheelchair or scooter on paved or hard level surface.

Not saying that's a standard/suggestion that Maine wants to adopt, just an idea that worked out well.

When I placed a cache under a small foot bridge in a park in Lexington, I magnetically attached the logbook (in a waterproof military surplus match holder with a magnet attached) separately to the upper portion of the bridge . This kept it within easy reach of anyone in a wheelchair or scooter, or anyone who could not reach the main container. That kept the cache at a 1/1 rating.

Quote Originally Posted by Haffy
    Well ,from looking at some of the caches listed by Jake and Bruce I wouldn't say that some of them are 1/1 at all. In fact most of the ones that were listed I don't think could be accessed with a scooter or wheelchair. I guess that's where the interpretation of the 1/1 comes into play. For me I would think that the cache can be attained by the person who is handicapped, is this true? I suppose if you could leave the scooter or wheelchair and crawl to the cache then yes it is 1/1 but otherwise they are not accessible. To me 1/1 is where you can reach the cache from the confines of the chair or scooter and most of those that were just listed can not be reached from the apparatus. I think you are an inspiration to us all and hope that maybe others who live in your area can make an attempt to place more of the kinds that you can access. Thanks for your story.
    I agree with some of your points. To me a 1 rating for terrain means it should be easily accessible to anyone in a wheelchair which is why almost all of my caches are rated 1 1/2 . . . even for the grab and go caches.

However, like Bruce, I was tailoring my response specifically to MR based on the caches she has found in the past and fact that she can walk a short distance. Perhaps Acer would not be an appropriate cache . . . honestly I forgot about the walk up the hill at the start and was thinking mainly of the nice hard packed trail down to the cache and how it was located right next to the trail.

As for any other point of contention . . . I think Bruce pretty well expressed my views and opinions to a T.
    "Courage is not the absence of fear, but the realization that there is something more important than fear."

"Death is only one of many ways to die."

Quote Originally Posted by firefighterjake
    As for any other point of contention . . . I think Bruce pretty well expressed my views and opinions to a T.
    Wow! Cool! I always express MY views and opinions "to a T", but to do that to someone else is great! LOL!

Anyway, I hope MR gets out there and attempts a few of those caches.

Thank you MainelyRoses for sharing this with us. It has caused me to go back through the caches we have an make sure that they are all correct. I did what Hoy recommended and if it was not wheel chair accessible I made them at least a 1 1/2.
    Blazing Troll

You can actually do my "Right in Plain Sight IV" without getting out of your car. My "Right in Plain Sight III" is disabled right now but I think it too could be reached from the seat of a car. My "Outer Limits" is actually up a few steps or down a few steps so that would be tough to do. On "A cache for TJ" you would be able to see the hide as it is only a few feet from parking but you would have to have someone retrieve it.

I have a red and a yellow rose with your signature card. I really like them and was suprised to hear you have so few finds. When I get home from the road I will try to place some very accessible caches. Oh, Oh, I am getting an idea for a new series.............. This could be fun. All called "Stay in your the car"

Quote Originally Posted by LaughingTerry
    Oh, Oh, I am getting an idea for a new series.............. This could be fun. All called "Stay in your the car"
    Sure sounds like fun to ME!! From what I've read about your hides though...I just MIGHT get my first DNF.. LOL..that's ok though..I DID say I wanted to have the same fun as everyone else

Thank you for your thoughts!

Rose