vb:literal>

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: A Confession

Quote Originally Posted by Haffy
    Well ,from looking at some of the caches listed by Jake and Bruce I wouldn't say that some of them are 1/1 at all. In fact most of the ones that were listed I don't think could be accessed with a scooter or wheelchair.
    Haffy -

I was QUITE careful to list only caches I though could be accessed from a wheelchair. Yes, a handicapped person may need some help actually putting hands on the cache - some of which require bending over or reaching out as they are on the ground - but I think that each cache I mentioned is about as accessible as you can make a cache.

MainelyRoses stated that she could "walk very short distances", which I took into consideration when I cited the caches I did. Let me reiterate:

"The Puzzle of Ben's Bum" is within 1 foot of the wheels of a wheelchair.
    "The Big Box of Books" is 10 feel from where you can go on a wheelchair - and I mentioned that it was "a couple of feet" away.
    "X Marks the Spot" can be within 2 feet of a wheelchair. Yes, someone may have to stand up to get to it, but no walking is required.
    "South Solon Meeting House Micro" can be accessed from a wheelchair - if it can go across 20 feet of lawn.

And as for the caches Jake mentioned:

China Lake Micro is definitely wheelchair accessible.
    Fort Halifax? Well, you have to reach down but the cache is within 1 foot of a wheelchair
    Benton Riverside is 2 feet from a VERY nice recreational trail
    Oter Limits? Well, you have to be able to stand and reach, but you do not have to walk.

Sheesh! We're trying to be helpful and you're being critical.

I agree, Haffy. And it does not have to be a 1/1, it could be a 5/1, since being in a wheelchair only affects the terrain.

My Old 470 cache is a good example, if not for two dang steps it could easily be a 1 terrain.
    DNFTT! DNFTT! DNFTT!

"The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it..."

Not trying to be critical at all Bruce it's just that some people's 1 rating is not another person's 1 rating. In my opinion a 1 rating means that the person can ACTUALLY reach the cache from the wheelchair or scooter and I can't see where that is possible in a couple of the ones that you mentioned and most of the ones that Jake has mentioned. Especially Acer which is my cache and doesn't have a 1 rating and where the bank getting to and getting off the trail certainly isn't handicapped accessible. Just trying to make sure that everyone is on the same page as far as ratings are concerned that's all. Sorry if I hurt your feelings regarding the caches that you listed.
    Just smile it won't crack your face

The statistics on sanity are that one out of every four persons is
    suffering from some sort of mental illness. Think of your three best
    friends -- if they're okay, then it's you.

d’76 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by brdad
    I agree, Haffy. And it does not have to be a 1/1, it could be a 5/1, since being in a wheelchair only affects the terrain.

My Old 470 cache is a good example, if not for two dang steps it could easily be a 1 terrain.
    Lets put a ramp there

d’76 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Haffy
    Not trying to be critical at all Bruce it's just that some people's 1 rating is not another person's 1 rating. In my opinion a 1 rating means that the person can ACTUALLY reach the cache from the wheelchair or scooter and I can't see where that is possible in a couple of the ones that you mentioned and most of the ones that Jake has mentioned. Especially Acer which is my cache and doesn't have a 1 rating and where the bank getting to and getting off the trail certainly isn't handicapped accessible. Just trying to make sure that everyone is on the same page as far as ratings are concerned that's all. Sorry if I hurt your feelings regarding the caches that you listed.
    I agree Acer is not a handicap cache.

No need to feel sorry. Handicap rating is hard because most of us have never been in that situation. I placed a cache (Dinasaur II) recently that is on a crushed gravel and dirt path. The path is very hard and I don't think wheels would sink in but I have no experience so how do I know?

I would love to hear from a local cacher about how we should rate caches to help handicapped cachers with the right information.

Rose, what makes a cache accessable?

rose, i am so glad that you shared your story. it is truly inspiring and reminds me not to take things in my life so lightly. thank you!
    "life is short...make a mess of it!"

I'm pretty sure that www.handicaching.com will be able to answer anyones questions regarding the rating of caches for the handicapped.
    Just smile it won't crack your face

The statistics on sanity are that one out of every four persons is
    suffering from some sort of mental illness. Think of your three best
    friends -- if they're okay, then it's you.

Smile

Thank you to everyone who has responded. It would be absolutely impossible to be able to precisely rate all caches for everyone's abilities.....even the degrees of disabilities are variable. For example...I can walk about 10-15 feet. If I can get my scooter that close, then there's a good chance I'll be able to find it. Other people are unable to walk at all, so theirs would have to be even more limited. All of the caches mentioned by Bruce and Jake sound like ones I could do, and I will definately try them at some point.
    You don't know how much I appreciate the information you've given me.
    I don't want to be treated differently than anyone else (that's why I never mentioned this before) but at the same time I want to have fun doing as many caches as I can..and it sounds like that with your help that's exactly what is going to happen!! THANK YOU!!

Rose

Rose - thank you for sharing. It is heart warming your enthusiasm about the sport. Your willingness to help us all learn is appreciated. Thinking about accessibility is a challenge. I hope to make some of mine accessible to more folks in the future. Cache on!