vb:literal>

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Whats in a name

Default Whats in a name

Maybe this has already been done before I was a member?But I was just wondering how everyone came up with there geocaching names.Some are really obvious,and some I already know,but then there are the ones that I have no idea.Vicbiker came about,because my friend Bob Bruce is Bobbiker and I like the name.We are both members of the Bicycle coalition of Maine.Most people think when they read Vicbiker,that I'm a motorcycle rider.These days it's all pedal power.

I already have figure out from being at a gathering that Haffy isn't a girl.At least I'm pretty sure!!..

Number Seven,probaly won't tell you,but he was named after a mule on Grizzly Adams....

Thats my story whats yours???

Default Hey Vic

I knew this was dejavu. Click this link Here is where we did this before. You're right though. There may be a few new people that didn't get to post before. Thanks for getting it going again.
    Happy Trails!

hollora - was our old kennel name and sort of a family anagram. hol for the first 3 letters of our last name.....lo for the first two letters of mine and ra for the first two letters of my hubby's name - that's hollora []

I've had many knicknames over the years ranging from Oliver in high school -- named after a dorky, klutzy guardian angel in an ABC After School TV special to Psycho in college (we won't go into why or how I got that name) and many folks know me as JJ, J, etc. but at work I'm pretty much known by the knickname I use here and at other forums -- FirefighterJake.

While you may or may not realize this in the City of Boston there is a tradition where every new firefighter is called a "Jake" while on their probation . . . true story. Unfortunately, the City of Bangor does not have such a tradition.

I picked up the moniker shortly after I was hired by Bangor back in 1995 when an Assistant Chief started calling me Jake. At first I thought he simply mixed up my real name. After several weeks had gone by and by now everyone was calling me Jake I asked him about the Boston FD connection to which he told me that he actually called me Jake since I reminded him of his pet bassett hound Jacob (aka Jake). I never thought of myself with particularly big ears -- short and fat, sure, but big ears? In any case a few weeks later he brought in Jake and another bassett hound which he introduced as Jake's girlfriend . . . and her name was (true story) Heidi which as some of you know happens to be my wife's name!

I don't really mind this knickname since it beats the first knickname a Dispatcher tried to pin on me -- Lt. Goober -- as well as a name that a Firefighter tried to give me -- Mittens. In addition it works well for dealing with children while doing public education.
    "Courage is not the absence of fear, but the realization that there is something more important than fear."

"Death is only one of many ways to die."

Default Nicknames

Just so everybody won't be confused,,we got our username from my first name,,"Dave" and my wifes first name,,"Gail". Pretty clever eh!!! Nothing to hide here,, our name is "Dave and Gail". And of course Shamis Saint Patrick Carney,,[our Dog/son] got his name from his Mom, a show dog named Shamis stardust Annie. He was born on Saint Patrick's day, so hence ,,"Shamis Saint Patrick Carney, Who does not have a clue that he is from showstock bloodlines and cost us a fortune,,he is content to wallow in mud holes and roll in the dirt and act like a regular dog. If you ever meet him, please don't let him know he is a dog, cause he thinks he's a Human. Happy Caching to everyone,,,"Dave and Gail" and Shamis

d’76 Guest

I too, was not real clever when picking a user name. Dave thats me, and 1976 was the year I was borne. Yes I know still a baby. I hear it all the time.

NOW LET ME SEE WHAT WAS THAT CB HANDLE ??? HMMM Number Seven

Our last name is "Hoy", so we got exceptionally clever and joined under the username "Hoys". Amazingly clever and obscure, huh?

Well, RIBNAG comes from how my group of friends used to pass the time in my late-HS to college years. RI doesn't really have a whole lot for the non-sedentary crowd to do. Thus, you have many under-21s sitting around bored; even over 21, if you don't like clubbing or the more traditional bars, still not much to do.

So, we used to go out at night and crawl around the many abandoned military installations in that state (really quite a good number of them, ranging from civil-war era to WWII). We did this at night because the state discouraged such activity (I won't say we outright broke the law (except perhaps trespassing, but no signs saying to stay out), and we never damaged property, but we did occasionally need to loosen bolts holding plywood over tunnel entrances "for our protection"). Quite a lot of fun, incredibly dangerous and probably a touch stupid, but it gave us something to do.

A few of us also enjoyed hiking, and as densely suburrban as you may consider Southern New England, RI and Western CT have quite a lot of good hiking trails. On one of these (well, okay, quite a bit away from one, walking along a granite ridge and just generally wandering around in the woods), Laura came across our first letterbox. From there, at least Laura and I got hooked. A few other RIBNAG'ers letterbox as well, but I think only we cache.

So... My/our handle comes from the anagram for Rhode Island Bored Noctural Adventurer Guild. I had considered changing it to NEBNAG when I moved to Maine, but then Chris moved to Florida so even "New England" no longer worked - Thus I kept it "RIBNAG" for lack of a better name.

Sadly, the last time I visited one of my early-20s haunts, I discovered the state had sold it (and several similar sites) for a pittance to a company that makes such historical sites into nauseatingly safe "reconstructions" and then charges for tours. And, of the RIBNAG'ers still living in RI, none still do anything all that interesting anymore (though a couple still hike, I don't think any have letterboxed in years).

You just can't go home again.
    Ego non quaero te in nomine Patris, sed in nomine Signali.

Quote Originally Posted by ribnag
    Well, RIBNAG comes from how my group of friends used to pass the time in my late-HS to college years. RI doesn't really have a whole lot for the non-sedentary crowd to do. Thus, you have many under-21s sitting around bored; even over 21, if you don't like clubbing or the more traditional bars, still not much to do.

So, we used to go out at night and crawl around the many abandoned military installations in that state (really quite a good number of them, ranging from civil-war era to WWII). We did this at night because the state discouraged such activity (I won't say we outright broke the law (except perhaps trespassing, but no signs saying to stay out), and we never damaged property, but we did occasionally need to loosen bolts holding plywood over tunnel entrances "for our protection"). Quite a lot of fun, incredibly dangerous and probably a touch stupid, but it gave us something to do.

A few of us also enjoyed hiking, and as densely suburrban as you may consider Southern New England, RI and Western CT have quite a lot of good hiking trails. On one of these (well, okay, quite a bit away from one, walking along a granite ridge and just generally wandering around in the woods), Laura came across our first letterbox. From there, at least Laura and I got hooked. A few other RIBNAG'ers letterbox as well, but I think only we cache.

So... My/our handle comes from the anagram for Rhode Island Bored Noctural Adventurer Guild. I had considered changing it to NEBNAG when I moved to Maine, but then Chris moved to Florida so even "New England" no longer worked - Thus I kept it "RIBNAG" for lack of a better name.

Sadly, the last time I visited one of my early-20s haunts, I discovered the state had sold it (and several similar sites) for a pittance to a company that makes such historical sites into nauseatingly safe "reconstructions" and then charges for tours. And, of the RIBNAG'ers still living in RI, none still do anything all that interesting anymore (though a couple still hike, I don't think any have letterboxed in years).

You just can't go home again.
    If I had thought of all the words that could be made from ribnag,I doubt that would have been it.