vb:literal>

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Looking for "don't miss" caches.

I am planning on attending the event!! I'm looking forward to meeting everyone and hearing recommendations of caches I should not miss.
    Rock Chalk, Jayhawk, KU!!!

GCKGW6 F-101B Voodoo was one of our favorites. It is a 1961 plane crash site on Bald Mountain in Ellsworth, ME
    http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache...a-85306422e6d1
    If you want to try cross country skiing, start with a small country

Thanks, that looks very interesting.
    Rock Chalk, Jayhawk, KU!!!

Ok, I can't resist any longer! Time for a plug of all my caches, train included:

Waterville:
    Old 470 (GCAE12) by brdad (3/1.5)

Bangor:
    You Sank My Battleship! (GCB688) by brdad (4/2)

15-25 miles East of Bangor:
    EaglEyeStash (GCGGXG) by brdad (3/3)
    A mile from a halfmile (GC8D2A) by brdad (1.5/2.5)
    Halfmile (GCH21C) by brdad (3/3.5)
    DNFTT! DNFTT! DNFTT!

"The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it..."

brdad : Old 470 (GCAE12) by brdad (3/1.5)

"Don't miss", eh???

We made our third annual "Search every square inch of the the stupid train... again" pilgrimage this past week.

We found a letterbox, much to our surprise, but no cache.

Did you know (at least) one of the axles still has functional oil in it? Nasty black stuff that sticks to your fingers and smells horrible. Didn't find the cache in there, though.

I give up, for another year. I had a great GPS lock, followed a collection of hints as gathered from those posting their find logs, even your pictures of the container and someone else's picture of themselves logging in (right where my GPS indicated, unsuprisingly, not that it helped any).

Ah well. No hard feelings. Personally I think this rates above a 3-star difficulty, but I can accept failure. Really.

...Until next year.
    Ego non quaero te in nomine Patris, sed in nomine Signali.

Quote Originally Posted by ribnag View Post
    We made our third annual "Search every square inch of the the stupid train... again" pilgrimage this past week.

Ah well. No hard feelings. Personally I think this rates above a 3-star difficulty, but I can accept failure. Really.
    ...Until next year.
    It's funny with Old 470 - People find it in less than 15 minutes or it takes them 3-4 tries, or more for a few! If you look at the logs, however, it seems most cachers from away find it more quickly than the locals, not sure why.

Wait till you find it and let me know what you think the rating should be. It's right there! But I am always willing to listen to feedback.

My most basic hint that works best is "Trust your GPS", and "Don't stand too close to the train or it will throw your GPS signal off".

I do love a good DNF story, however!
    Better luck next time!

I think it'd be a good rest stop on the way north or back south for ajayhawkfan. Spend 15 minutes and log it or don't log it!
    DNFTT! DNFTT! DNFTT!

"The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it..."

Quote Originally Posted by brdad View Post
    It's funny with Old 470 - People find it in less than 15 minutes or it takes them 3-4 tries, or more for a few! If you look at the logs, however, it seems most cachers from away find it more quickly than the locals, not sure why.
    I KNOW WHERE IT IS!!! (And for the right price I'll tell all! Sorta like "Duke" in the Bush's Beans commercials...)

I think that people who don't have much experience finding micros will probably have a harder time than those who happen to have more experience finding them. But then again I wouldn't say this is your typical micro either, it is more on the small size. It took me 3 tries but I was a newbie at the time too. I think if I was to hunt for it now and knowing what to expect, I would have found it within minutes.
    Just smile it won't crack your face

The statistics on sanity are that one out of every four persons is
    suffering from some sort of mental illness. Think of your three best
    friends -- if they're okay, then it's you.

I think Beach Comber has the most experience with THIS micro
    I got lucky, first visit, but I can see how it would take 3-4 visits to get this one.

I think the "Tidal Earth Cache" in Old Orchard Beach is pretty cool. I haven't logged it yet, because I could definitely have gotten closer at a lower tide.
    "When I get back I'm bringing a weedwacker and a stun gun!"