vb:literal>

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: GSAK question

Default GSAK question

It has come to my attention recently that when I have been putting my newest PQ's in GSAK that is does not update the ones that are disabled. It leaves them as still available. For some reason GSAK does not pick them up and change then to Archived.

How has everyone else been dealing with this? I know I could delete my whole listing in GSAK and then import the newest PQ, but that seems to be a pain and not very user friendly.
    Blazing Troll

Check yout PQ settings... it may be set to ignore disabled caches.

Post I have the same problem

This seems to be the way it works. I have thought about it and it seems logical. I have read the other thread where you say that when you do a pocket query you get archived caches, but I can't and never have.

My thoughts are that if a pocket query can't bring back an archived cache then GSAK can't update it to archived. If you delete all your not found caches and run a new pocket query you will just lose all those that are archived.

Since I don't need to know if a cache existed and was archived before I went to look for it I just delete all "not found" caches perodically and load a new pocket query for the area.

A house is not a home without a cat.

Default Dealing with archived caches

Gary and I got bit by this one time in NH when we kayaked to a location, looked for a long time, gave up, drove home, only to find the cache was archived months earlier. That's when I found out that once archived, the cache no longer shows up in PQ's, except for a "My Finds" PQ.

From the GSAK support forums, the suggested way of dealing with this is filter your cache list using the Last Update GPX on the Dates tab of the Filter. Change the dropdown to "On or before" then enter a date earlier than your earliest PQ.

For example, if you only have one PQ running on Mondays, set the filter to the Sunday before the last run.

For me, I have a set of queries that run over the course of a week. I don't have any that run on the weekends so each weekend I set a filter to the prior Saturday, and uncheck the "Found" Found Status on the General Tab. Everything remaining has been archived so I delete all waypoints in the filter.

Be careful not to select a date in the future! You'll wipe out all your waypoints until you process the PQ again. For my own sake, I always double-click at least one waypoint to open the waypoint in my browser and double-check that the cache is archived before I delete the ones in the filter.

Make sense? It seems straight-forward to me but I know my explanations are not always so.

Quote Originally Posted by kayakerinme View Post
    From the GSAK support forums, the suggested way of dealing with this is filter your cache list using the Last Update GPX on the Dates tab of the Filter. Change the dropdown to "On or before" then enter a date earlier than your earliest PQ.

For example, if you only have one PQ running on Mondays, set the filter to the Sunday before the last run.
    I tried this tactic after I read this post and this is the message I get. "Sorry this filter contains no waypoint. Filter will Not be set".

Maybe I am doing something wrong.
    Blazing Troll

Though it sounds a little cumbersome, I have been doing something similare what you described in an earlier post, Rick. It works great for me. Once I had everything set up I found it only took a few minutes to update GSAK.

When I am updating my GSAK information, I remove all the waypoints that are in there and start with a clean slate. That way I know I have the most updated information. I use several queries with the base information being the same with the exception of the dates placed.

Base information:
    500 chaches, any type, any container, that I haven't found and don't own and are active, in Maine

Queries - date placed:
    #1 1/1/00 - 12/31/03
    #2 1/1/04 - 12/31/04
    #3 1/1/05 - 12/31/05
    #4 1/1/06 - 12/31/06

When I pull them into GSAK I put them in a single database and I have them add rather than replace. From here, I use the filter function to pull out caches in a particular area, etc.
    ~ Beach Comber ~

Quote Originally Posted by Beach Comber View Post
    When I am updating my GSAK information, I remove all the waypoints that are in there and start with a clean slate. That way I know I have the most updated information.
    This is what I do, too, and never have any problems - as long as I update the PDA with the new information! LOL!

The downside to deleting them all with each import is that the logs are not accumulated. In a PQ, only the last five logs are included. By allowing them to accumulate, you have logs back as far as possible. I started doing PQs back in December so when I arrive at a cache, I can have many, many logs to look through should it be necessary to discern a hint or spoiler from a log.

Quote Originally Posted by kayakerinme View Post
    The downside to deleting them all with each import is that the logs are not accumulated. In a PQ, only the last five logs are included. By allowing them to accumulate, you have logs back as far as possible. I started doing PQs back in December so when I arrive at a cache, I can have many, many logs to look through should it be necessary to discern a hint or spoiler from a log.
    I've always found we just need to have the newest logs - like the ones that say "This cache is NOT there!"

Quote Originally Posted by WhereRWe? View Post
    I've always found we just need to have the newest logs - like the ones that say "This cache is NOT there!"
    Well then, I guess I'm not as good a cacher as you as I sometimes need the help and find it useful.