vb:literal>

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Google Earth

Default Google Earth

While watching CNN on Katrina news, we kept seeing maps with "Google Earth" up in the corner. Got curious enough to go see and found a fascinating site with a fly over type mapping software for free. http://earth.google.com/. $20 for the paid version which I haven't done so cannot say how it is. Maps are previous years satellite shots, not real time but what a wealth of information. Maps can't be too old as our road is only four years old and is on the map.

Anne
    TwoMaineiacs / Anne and Joe

Quote Originally Posted by TwoMaineiacs
    Maps are previous years satellite shots, not real time but what a wealth of information. Maps can't be too old as our road is only four years old and is on the map.

Anne
    I'm amazed at how fast these mapping companies can update their maps. I live on the edge of paper company lands, and ride their roads a lot - hunting, berry picking, "scavenging" firewood, and just looking. Anytime there is a new road, spur, extension, etc., it will show up in Delorme's Atlas the next year.

Sheesh!

This is one of the neatest web sites I've seen in a long time...I've spent hours today zooming in all over the world! Can't wait to see what the paid version does!

Lightbulb Geocaching and Google Earth

I've come up with a way to link GSAK to Google Earth. In GSAK, do Tools, Options, HTML and add the following line at the bottom:

Google Earth=http://www.nearby.org.uk/googleEarth.kml.php?lat=%lat&long=%lon&p=%code

Now you can right-click on a cache and pick Google Earth from the Custom URL menu! Google Earth will pan to the new location but will not change the zoom level.

For you FireFox users, there's something even cooler! On this site you can find instructions on how to open Geocaching waypoints in Google Earth directly from Geocaching.com, and how to view Travel Bug tracks in Google Earth. It requires a free plugin for FireFox called GreaseMonkey. Sorry, I don't know of any such addon for IE users.

Firefox + GreaseMonkey = LOVE

Is there a reason why my maps are blurry? Do I not have something set right?

I was wondering the same thing myself Bruce. I was not that impressed with it.
    Blazing Troll

Quote Originally Posted by attroll
    I was wondering the same thing myself Bruce. I was not that impressed with it.
    Thanks. I was waiting for someone to say "put your glasses on", or "try it when you're sober". Glad someone else is "handicapped". LOL!

Default blurry!

mine was blurry, too actually, when i did where i live, it was really pretty clear, but all the other places i tried were just awful thanks for letting me know it wasn't just me!
    "life is short...make a mess of it!"

Yeah, unfortunately a lot of the Maine areas haven't been flown over with hi-res aerial photography yet. I looks like some states (Massachusetts, Illinois, etc) have 100% coverage. There are some tools to prepare overlays from other sources, I will see if there's a way to get the older USGS aerial photos on there. I know you can with NASA World Wind.