vb:literal>

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Off Road Tech Thread

Wow--$1400! I'd be shopping JYs hard before laying down that kind of cash, I think.

Here's search results from car-part.com:

http://www.car-part.com/cgi-bin/search.cgi

There are dozens of 231's within a few miles, from $200 and up.

I would think that any impact hard enough to do that kind of damage would have totaled the truck--there is only so much one can do to repair a unibody "frame" that has bent.

I know there are differing opionions about SYEs on small lifts, but even a 3" lift DOES change the drive-line angle and can put more stress on the transfer case. I think a couple hundred bucks for an SYE (or $30 for a drop bracket) is cheap insurance (just MHO, of course).

In any case, hope to see it back on the road soon!

Quote Originally Posted by The G Team View Post
    Wow--$1400! I'd be shopping JYs hard before laying down that kind of cash, I think.

Here's search results from car-part.com:

http://www.car-part.com/cgi-bin/search.cgi

There are dozens of 231's within a few miles, from $200 and up.

I would think that any impact hard enough to do that kind of damage would have totaled the truck--there is only so much one can do to repair a unibody "frame" that has bent.

I know there are differing opionions about SYEs on small lifts, but even a 3" lift DOES change the drive-line angle and can put more stress on the transfer case. I think a couple hundred bucks for an SYE (or $30 for a drop bracket) is cheap insurance (just MHO, of course).

In any case, hope to see it back on the road soon!
    well.... after the accident the jeep was within $400 of being totaled... and even though i had my words, they still opted for repairs (which did consist of replacing half the frame...)

(the $1400 also included their diagnostic crap..) the transfer case itself was $1,000, and me being the believer in "you get what you pay for" I decided to go for the "factory approved" which i have now learned means just the same as their "TRAIL RATED"!!! yeah big friggen joke that is! i took it for a drive down the highway tonight... and i cant go over 60 without the thing feeling like its gunna come uncorked!!! factory trained techs and service my... im not going there on a family website! (apologies) i am having much anger right now... (test drive was only 15 minutes ago).............. (im buying a toyota...)
    Once the game is over, the king and the pawn go back in the same box.

Quote Originally Posted by Hiram357 View Post
    (im buying a toyota...)
    I'm sure you're being facetious . . . but I can tell you that Toyotas are wicked tough and difficult to break . . . just ask TRF -- his Toyota went up Harris Mountain with no problems!
    "Courage is not the absence of fear, but the realization that there is something more important than fear."

"Death is only one of many ways to die."

Quote Originally Posted by firefighterjake View Post
    I'm sure you're being facetious . . . but I can tell you that Toyotas are wicked tough and difficult to break . . . just ask TRF -- his Toyota went up Harris Mountain with no problems!
    Hehe.. im very close to being serious.... (i'll pretend i didn't read the harris mt. comment...)

Here's what makes me want to get a toyota...
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nD0UVI99R8Q

but heres why i love jeeps...
    http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...op+gear+toyota

but maybe if i hit the lottery...
    http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...op+gear+toyota

Update us on the
    J(ust)
    E(mpty)
    E(very)
    P(ocket)
    situation--inquireing minds want to know!

Update us on the
    J(ust)
    E(mpty)
    E(very)
    P(ocket)
    situation--inquireing minds want to know!
    Well.... after they told me everything was all set, and that they test drove it not once, but twice! I felt glad that I took it to the overpriced 5 star service at Central Maine Chrysler.... so I called the wife and told her she could come get (and i headed back out to the woods to get my 30 pointer) later she called saying that there was a bad rattle, so she took it back... the muffler was loose, oh by the way there was a front bushing they didn't replace because they didn't have it (they told us after we brought it back) then when I got home it was my turn for a test drive... I took it onto the highway... and i couldn't go over 60 without the thing feeling like it was going to wobble to death and blow apart... so I took it in on sat morning (instead of going hunting on the last day of the season...) and they said the only guy that could look at it wasn't there that day... bring it back friday (they were really concerned for my safety...) so i said ok have a nice day, called the wife and had her put a hold on their check. Afterall they do have a sign over there counter that says "PAYMENT DUE UPON COMPLETION OF WORK"

That's the 5 Star service for ya!

Man, bad luck! The hold on the check should give you some bargaining power. Hope they can/have got it straightened out for 'ya.

Man, bad luck! The hold on the check should give you some bargaining power. Hope they can/have got it straightened out for 'ya.
    well they didnt charge us for their last service to it... which ended up that they balanced a tire... I'm not going to go into details about it right now because I'm still fuming over the whole thing.. but my advice... DONT LET CENTRAL MAINE CHRYSLER ANYWHERE NEAR YOUR VEHICLE!!

They don't call 'em "stealerships" for nothing. Hope the issue is taken care of so you can spend money of fun parts rather than necessary ones.

They don't call 'em "stealerships" for nothing. Hope the issue is taken care of so you can spend money of fun parts rather than necessary ones.
    yeah, necessary parts suck... but apparently I need to buy some new tires now, i think im gunna try rotating them then replacing the so-called messed up one with the spare first. (so glad the dealership went out of their way to try this)