vb:literal>

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Off Road Tech Thread

Yes, yes, yes....um, no.

Now the plan is to get as far as SD (Badlands). As time and money get shorter, so does our iteniary. Rubicon in '08 is the plan now.

Quote Originally Posted by The G Team View Post
    Yes, yes, yes....um, no.

Now the plan is to get as far as SD (Badlands). As time and money get shorter, so does our iteniary. Rubicon in '08 is the plan now.

Well... make it to the event... I found a special hill just for you!!

(I'm spending all I can to just keep mine running right now... first the a/c died, clutch went out on it... now the distributor went to poo... have to replace the whole thing...)
    Once the game is over, the king and the pawn go back in the same box.

Quote Originally Posted by Hiram357 View Post
    Well... make it to the event... I found a special hill just for you!!

(I'm spending all I can to just keep mine running right now... first the a/c died, clutch went out on it... now the distributor went to poo... have to replace the whole thing...)
    Wow, you are just not having good luck! It looks like we may be around for the event after all--looking forward to it. Bring on the hill! Picked up the 33s from Wally World this afternoon--now to make 'em fit. The Jeep should move under it's own power tomorrow to head to the Ford garage for the front gear install.

Well, the Jeep is mobile, but only 2WD at the moment. Tomorrow we'll do the initial gear break-in (15 minute drive, half-hour cooling time). Found out the bearings ARB sent are the wrong size for my air locker, so have to deal with that tomorrow--hopefully they can FeDex the correct ones so we can still get the front end done this week.

Well, the Jeep is mobile, but only 2WD at the moment. Tomorrow we'll do the initial gear break-in (15 minute drive, half-hour cooling time). Found out the bearings ARB sent are the wrong size for my air locker, so have to deal with that tomorrow--hopefully they can FeDex the correct ones so we can still get the front end done this week.
    For sendin the wrong ones i would demand that they send em overnight...

For sendin the wrong ones i would demand that they send em overnight...
    That would be nice--we'll find out today. At least the rear end is done so it IS drivable, even with no front DS for safety. We still have to shoe-horn the new meats on--I knew they were gonna be big, but they completely dwarf the 235x75s.

Default Maiden voyage!

Well, today was the first trip with the lift installed. The goal was a 10-15 mile excursion to break-in the new gears in the 8.8. Everything went well; the OME lift feels great and even with the half-worn 235x75s, the 4.56 gears were fine. The ARB locked up just right when we hit a gravel road. We flew over some railroad tracks that would have bottomed out the stock suspension w/no problems...THEN, we hit a little bump in the road, about the size of an expansion joint at 45 MPH and ALL HELL BROKE LOOSE. I now know exactly what Death Wobble is all about--dammit!

Prior to the test run, we did a tape-measure alignment and purposefully left off the OME steering stablizer. I am hoping it is simply the alignment as the tires are fine, balanced, and checked for equal pressure. Front DS is currently not installed, so not an issue.

Anyway, it is going into the garage Friday for the front axle/gear/ARB/DS install and will get a professional alignment. Hopefully this eliminates the problem.

Here's a pic--lift came out to just about 3" front and rear:

Well, today was the first trip with the lift installed. The goal was a 10-15 mile excursion to break-in the new gears in the 8.8. Everything went well; the OME lift feels great and even with the half-worn 235x75s, the 4.56 gears were fine. The ARB locked up just right when we hit a gravel road. We flew over some railroad tracks that would have bottomed out the stock suspension w/no problems...THEN, we hit a little bump in the road, about the size of an expansion joint at 45 MPH and ALL HELL BROKE LOOSE. I now know exactly what Death Wobble is all about--dammit!

Prior to the test run, we did a tape-measure alignment and purposefully left off the OME steering stablizer. I am hoping it is simply the alignment as the tires are fine, balanced, and checked for equal pressure. Front DS is currently not installed, so not an issue.

Anyway, it is going into the garage Friday for the front axle/gear/ARB/DS install and will get a professional alignment. Hopefully this eliminates the problem.

Here's a pic--lift came out to just about 3" front and rear:

LOL!!! I don't feel so bad knowing you spent all this money and still got the death wobble... I was feeling ripped off when I had my first experience... Did you change out the stabalizer and track bars? those were the big factors with my death wobble and instabilities.

LOL!!! I don't feel so bad knowing you spent all this money and still got the death wobble... I was feeling ripped off when I had my first experience... Did you change out the stabalizer and track bars? those were the big factors with my death wobble and instabilities.
    Yup, heavy duty JKS Adj trackbar installed. Now, and this may be at least PART of the problem, I have a new OME stabilzer but purposefully left it off as a test. From what I've read, a properly set up suspension should not require the stabilzer. We'll try in again after the front end stuff is done and the "real" alignment.

PS I was hoping not to have DW, but in the back of my mind I knew it was a possbility--I would hate to have experienced that w/o any prior knowledge of DW--it sure does get the adrenaline flowing!

Yup, heavy duty JKS Adj trackbar installed. Now, and this may be at least PART of the problem, I have a new OME stabilzer but purposefully left it off as a test. From what I've read, a properly set up suspension should not require the stabilzer. We'll try in again after the front end stuff is done and the "real" alignment.

PS I was hoping not to have DW, but in the back of my mind I knew it was a possbility--I would hate to have experienced that w/o any prior knowledge of DW--it sure does get the adrenaline flowing!
    shouldn't require a stabelizer?!?!?! don't forget that you are still driving a jeep... If you can get yours running right without a stabelizer, i want to know who does your alignments...

DW doesn't just get the adrenaline flowing... it gets a fresh change of underwear too!! my first experience with it, I thought my front tires folded in on the jeep (like the hummers do) felt like the whole jeep was about to come uncorked, so new stabelizer and upper track bar and it was back on the road.