vb:literal>

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Off Road Tech Thread

So how did Day Two go? It's lucky we headed home as I don't think there is any way, other than perhaps hot-wiring, that the Jeep would have started again.

Even with a wrench on the key, turning it (until it broke the plastic) would not let it start. We ended up spending 5 hours changing the switch on the column up under the dash, then adjusting the Park lockout mechanism--what a PITA!

One of the wires to the ignition switch (not key lock cylinder) had overheated and melted the "track" inside the switch that allows the various key positions to make contact. When it was forced to start at the campground, it also popped loose the shifter-Park lockout rod from the piece in the upper column that it attaches to (so it caught on the column shroud when trying to turn the key).

After that, we addressed the DS vibe issue. It looks like the yoke on the front diff may have been "sprung" as there was some play in the ujoints. We gently seated them tighter to one side of the yoke and the vibes stopped. I'm hoping changing the yoke does not require any re-setup of the pinion shims as it is necessary to remove the pinion bolt to change the yoke. It never ends, does it!?

Quote Originally Posted by The G Team View Post
    So how did Day Two go? It's lucky we headed home as I don't think there is any way, other than perhaps hot-wiring, that the Jeep would have started again.

Even with a wrench on the key, turning it (until it broke the plastic) would not let it start. We ended up spending 5 hours changing the switch on the column up under the dash, then adjusting the Park lockout mechanism--what a PITA!

One of the wires to the ignition switch (not key lock cylinder) had overheated and melted the "track" inside the switch that allows the various key positions to make contact. When it was forced to start at the campground, it also popped loose the shifter-Park lockout rod from the piece in the upper column that it attaches to (so it caught on the column shroud when trying to turn the key).

After that, we addressed the DS vibe issue. It looks like the yoke on the front diff may have been "sprung" as there was some play in the ujoints. We gently seated them tighter to one side of the yoke and the vibes stopped. I'm hoping changing the yoke does not require any re-setup of the pinion shims as it is necessary to remove the pinion bolt to change the yoke. It never ends, does it!?

Well you do have a Jeep.

At least you made it to the Event and back . . . I missed seeing you leave . . . you had problems starting it I assume from this post and opted to not stay in Lincoln I'm guessing? Was Hiram able to help . . . he has lots of experience in repairing Jeeps!

For the record, I think Mrs. G Team was right . . . modding the Jeep and then expecting to go to Moab in the same year probably was a bit ambitious . . . better to work out the bugs now and go next year.
    "Courage is not the absence of fear, but the realization that there is something more important than fear."

"Death is only one of many ways to die."

Quote Originally Posted by firefighterjake View Post
    I missed seeing you leave . . . you had problems starting it I assume from this post and opted to not stay in Lincoln I'm guessing? Was Hiram able to help . . . he has lots of experience in repairing Jeeps!
    When we got back to camp the key wouldn't go back to the "lock" position, but I didn't think too much of it. After supper, we decided to see if we could find a motel in Lincoln and they key wouldn't turn enough to engage the starter. Hiram was able to force it hard enough to hit the starter, but we were afraid (rightly so, it turns out) that it might not start again. And yes, it is always "something" with a 13 y/o Jeep

Quote Originally Posted by The G Team View Post
    When we got back to camp the key wouldn't go back to the "lock" position, but I didn't think too much of it. After supper, we decided to see if we could find a motel in Lincoln and they key wouldn't turn enough to engage the starter. Hiram was able to force it hard enough to hit the starter, but we were afraid (rightly so, it turns out) that it might not start again. And yes, it is always "something" with a 13 y/o Jeep
    Fortunately Hiram has plenty of experience with broken Jeeps so you were in good hands, eh?

Actually the age of the Jeep doesn't necessarily have much to do with the reliability . . . I had a three-year-old Jeep Wrangler and after driving that Jeep I will never own another Jeep again (even though I loved driving that Jeep in the summer with the top off) . . . broken motor mounts, a blown engine, windshield wiper motor that died . . . and that's not the half of it.
    "Courage is not the absence of fear, but the realization that there is something more important than fear."

"Death is only one of many ways to die."