vb:literal>

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: RE: Geocaching 101

Default RE: Geocaching 101

As some folks might remember this past Spring I offered a PowerPoint presentation on geocaching to members of the Unity Barn Raisers. This group has established and maintains several trails in Unity . . . most of which now have geocaches on them. The presentation was an overwhelming success with members asking me if I could come back and do a hands-on show-and-tell.

Unfortunately, the day that we scheduled this "event" it rained so we postponed it to the following week. Due in part to the re-scheduled date and weather that was "iffy" we only had two members . . . but they enjoyed the presentation and asked if we would be willing to come back again and do this "presentation" to their other members and maybe even opening it up to the local community, high school and college. The geocachers in the group meanwhile seemed pretty happy since Dave1976 and Maniac1957 were able to pick up a few local caches and I treated everyone to pizza afterwards at UHOP.

Well, it's been a few months and I received this e-mail today.

-------------

<i>Jason,

Thanks for the feedback on Brier's Beach and the heads' up on the cache!
    We would love to schedule another gepcaching 101 and invite families and college students. A Saturday - late morning - might be a good time as we might be able to pull some interest from the farmers' market and can send out fliers through the school and UC students should be able to make it as well. Let us know if there is a Saturday that would work on your end and we can get a date set up!
    Thanks,
    Tess
    </i>

------------

I know the Cache Bash is on the 9th, I've got an ATV Poker Run on the 16th and Northern ME Geo is on the 23rd (plus the Commonground Fair is on that weekend so Unity will be quite busy). I was thinking the 30th of this month would be good . . . does this date work for anyone that might be interested in helping out?

If I can get some idea if this date works it would be appreciated . . . then I'll send Tess an e-mail confirming this date (or not.)
    "Courage is not the absence of fear, but the realization that there is something more important than fear."

"Death is only one of many ways to die."

jake, i could probably come help.
    "life is short...make a mess of it!"

Quote Originally Posted by Jake

I know the Cache Bash is on the 9th, I've got an ATV Poker Run on the 16th and Northern ME Geo is on the 23rd (plus the Commonground Fair is on that weekend so Unity will be quite busy). I was thinking the 30th of this month would be good . . . does this date work for anyone that might be interested in helping out?

If I can get some idea if this date works it would be appreciated . . . then I'll send Tess an e-mail confirming this date (or not.)

Hmmmm...no mention of pizza.

Quote Originally Posted by cameoooooo View Post
    You noticed that, huh? I'm saving my pennies for the house renovation, but I might be persuaded to at least go to UHOP afterwards . . . now whether I buy the pizza or not will depend on the number of folks there and what the bill from my building contractor looks like.
    "Courage is not the absence of fear, but the realization that there is something more important than fear."

Quote Originally Posted by cameoooooo View Post
    jake, i'll still do it, even if i have to buy my own pizza.
    "life is short...make a mess of it!"

As I said I'm tentatively aiming for Saturday mid-morning/early-afternoon on the 30th of September . . . more details will follow.

I also received this e-mail today from another group.

------------

Hi Jason – Tess at UBR provided me your email. I work for a group called Friends of Unity Wetlands, organized around raising awareness and protection of the 42,000-acre Unity Wetlands Focus Area in western Waldo and Kennebec Counties. I’m setting up our fall schedule of events (I’m behind as usual) and think it would be fun to have a geocaching event – to get folks out on the trails and into the Focus Area. We have a monthly speaker series and I was thinking it might be good to have a presentation about geocaching one evening and then an outdoor event on a Saturday. Tess indicated UBR is looking to do a similar thing. If you’re interested, it would make sense for us to combine forces. We are super flexible in terms of content, scheduling etc. Would love to talk with you about it if you’re interested. Holler, email or stop in if you’re interested. We just relocated our office to 93 Main St (formerly Monica’s Naturally, no sign yet). Best wishes, Jennifer

----------------

I've sent out an e-mail offering to do my PowerPoint Presentation for them at an evening meeting and then doing the Saturday thing with them and UBR if the dates work for us, UBR and this group.

Exciting isn't it to have folks wanting to work and learn about geocaching -- well I find it sort of exciting at least.

I think this will be the exact thing that this organization should be willing to participate in and helping out with. I think education is the first and foremost agenda we should all be aware of in getting the word out about geocaching and I can't think of a better way to go about it. I would be more than willing to help out in any way I can if I am available at that time. I hope we can get a good showing of people who are interested in helping out with this endeavor. Good job Jake!!!
    Just smile it won't crack your face

The statistics on sanity are that one out of every four persons is
    suffering from some sort of mental illness. Think of your three best
    friends -- if they're okay, then it's you.

Quote Originally Posted by becket View Post
    jake, i'll still do it, even if i have to buy my own pizza.
    What's that on your nose, Becke, pizza? he he heh

Default Geocaching 101

Exciting isn't it to have folks wanting to work and learn about geocaching -- well I find it sort of exciting at least.
    [/quote]

I DON'T KNOW HOW MANY OF YOU GET THE 'ADULT ED.' INFO FROM THE AUGUSTA AREA, BUT THIS TIME AROUND THEY ARE OFFERING A "GEOCACHING" LESSON. I DON'T KNOW MUCH ABOUT IT BUT ITS SUPPOSED TO BE AN INTRODUCTION INTO GEOCACHING. IF ANYONE WANTS MORE INFO I CAN TRY TO FIND OUT, OR ON GEOCACHING SITE - SIDE-KICK (MIKE) - WAS GOING TO LOOK INTO IT. YOU MIGHT TRY CONTACTING HIM.

Sure hope it is somebody who knows something about geocaching.
    Just smile it won't crack your face

The statistics on sanity are that one out of every four persons is
    suffering from some sort of mental illness. Think of your three best
    friends -- if they're okay, then it's you.