vb:literal>

Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: RE: Hold on to your knickers, but I actually have a question about paperless gc-ing

Default RE: Hold on to your knickers, but I actually have a question about paperless gc-ing

OK, while I'm not a total Ludite despite what I've told Becket I've never embraced the whole paperless geocaching thing . . . I figure by running off reams and reams of paper I'm nearly singlehandedly supporting the Maine paper-making industry.

However, I am considering buying a PDA and was wondering if the Palm T/X PDA would be good for paperless geocaching. I'm also thinking this might be useful for loading some MP3s to listen to while sledding/ATVing, etc.

Here's a link to one that I was looking at. Let me know if this would work and what else I would need if I decide to go the paperless route.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....=1128337733082
    "Courage is not the absence of fear, but the realization that there is something more important than fear."

"Death is only one of many ways to die."

Quote Originally Posted by firefighterjake View Post
    However, I am considering buying a PDA and was wondering if the Palm T/X PDA would be good for paperless geocaching. I'm also thinking this might be useful for loading some MP3s to listen to while sledding/ATVing, etc.
    For caching, you basically just need a cache management program on your PDA. Cachemate seems to be the favorite, and will run on any Palm OS PDA. From there you might want to get some mapping software on it. I just got Delorme's Street Atlas USA 2007, and it appears to have the Street Atlas handheld version included (whereas previously it was a separate purchase). Finding the right cable to connect your PDA to your GPSr to the power socket in your car can be tough, though.

The PDA you're looking at seems to have everything you'll need - and then some! LOL!

I used to use this Palm model before I got my Treo; it was my favorite among all the Palm models I've had over the years. It will work very well for paperless caching as it has far more memory for Cachemate and its database than you'll need (assuming you want to use Cachemate).

As for MP3's, the standard memory is pretty limited, probably to less than 1 album or so depending on what you load for programs. If you really want to listen to music with this, you'll want to buy another memory card; the 1GB cards are about $55, a 2GB is about $99.

I picked up a TX a couple of weeks ago, and loaded up cachemate. Gave it a test run up in the county last weekend and I'm not sure how I got along all those years with reams of paper!!! Highly recommend that Palm. (plus, you can sit in the parking lot at V.I.P. and check on the new caches wirelessly)

Jake - check out the Dell Axim before you buy. My sister is in IT and says the reliability/waranty is better on the Axim.
    If you want to try cross country skiing, start with a small country

Quote Originally Posted by firefighterjake View Post
    OK, while I'm not a total Ludite despite what I've told Becket I've never embraced the whole paperless geocaching thing . . . I figure by running off reams and reams of paper I'm nearly singlehandedly supporting the Maine paper-making industry.

Here's a link to one that I was looking at. Let me know if this would work and what else I would need if I decide to go the paperless route.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....=1128337733082

Muuuuwhahaahahahaha!!!! YEeessssss JAKE! WELCOME TO THE DARKSIDE!!!! HAHAHAHA **cough** HAHAHAHA!!!!
    Once the game is over, the king and the pawn go back in the same box.

You can also get it for 10 bucks less at Staples. $299

I wouldn't jump into getting the first one either. There are some good buys out there including this one: http://cgi.ebay.com/Palm-TX-T-X-T-X-...em160028702629
    Just smile it won't crack your face

The statistics on sanity are that one out of every four persons is
    suffering from some sort of mental illness. Think of your three best
    friends -- if they're okay, then it's you.

Quote Originally Posted by Hiram357 View Post
    Muuuuwhahaahahahaha!!!! YEeessssss JAKE! WELCOME TO THE DARKSIDE!!!! HAHAHAHA **cough** HAHAHAHA!!!!
    hey, jake, the dark side is calling - louder and louder and louder! come on over!
    "life is short...make a mess of it!"

Quote Originally Posted by Sudonim View Post
    I picked up a TX a couple of weeks ago, and loaded up cachemate. Gave it a test run up in the county last weekend and I'm not sure how I got along all those years with reams of paper!!! Highly recommend that Palm. (plus, you can sit in the parking lot at V.I.P. and check on the new caches wirelessly)
    I see we have a closet conversion to paperless. Congrats!