vb:literal>

Thread: Pocket caches at event caches

Default Pocket caches at event caches

It has come to my attention about something called Pocket caching. It seems that it is a custom down south to do this at cache events. As some of you know how it works from doing it at the last cache event. I don’t think I agree with this pocket cache thing or if GC.com condones it. Let me explain how it works if some of you don’t know and for those that know correct me if I am wrong.

You have an item in you pocket when you go to the cache event. Let’s call the item a wooden nickel. At the event you go around and ask everyone do you have the wooden nickel. If you find the person with the wooden nickel then you log the cache event as another find (on the same event) with a note saying you found the wooden nickel. So in you are logging multiple caches on the same event. There were at least five of these pocket caches at the last cache event.

If you go to the last cache event we had here in Maine and look at the logs you may see what I mean. First off I don’t consider this a cache find in my opinion. If they are doing this down south then this in my opinion is not right. It is just a way to increase your numbers. So it sounds like they are all about numbers down south. Maybe that is why the caches up here are so much better then down south. We have not fallen into the number game yet. I hope we don’t start doing this at anymore cache events in Maine. I think I would get annoyed if people kept coming up to me at the event and asking me the same thing over and over. I am there to talk with friends and have a good time not to be bothered buy these silly games. But this is just my opinion.

If this is a way to get your numbers up and make it look good for you as a geocacher then I want no part in it. I can not believe that the people down south actually do this and feel good about it. But maybe I am looking at this all wrong.

What do others think of this? I would like to here more from others about there opinion on this or maybe set me straight if I am looking at this wrong.

Here is the last cache if you want to look at the log.
    http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache...f-c33337f34443
    Blazing Troll

I missed that event due to other responsibilities, and I too, noticed the pocket caches in the logs for that event and almost posted my thoughts that day, but as most of you know I have had more pressing issues lately so I backed off.

I couldn't agree with you more. If a cache at an event can't meet geocaching.com's guidelines, including not being temporary (which these caches were), I don't feel they should be logged as finds. Doing so does nothing more than increasing one's numbers.

Two better done examples:
    1. Geochicks placing 3 permanent caches at the Bicentenial Nature Park for her first event. Personally, I thought it was a lot of caches for one park, but they all met the guidelines, and were left in place so that those not attending the event could still find and log them at a later date.
    2. Maniac1957's event at the Dorathea Dix Park. He had two temporary caches which for that reason alone would not meet the guidelines - And yet, it seems like everyone who participated had a great time doing so, win or lose, without adding to their find count.

The argument from the people in the areas who cache for the numbers will say we are not open to new ideas. I have tried to prove by example with my caches that you can have new ideas without sacrificing quality. And event caches are for people to get together and have fun and share experiences anyway - not to boost the numbers. And the pocket caches don't even remotely resemble a cache. I personally hope that they do not become a regular item at Maine events.

Now, as far as the legality of the finds - If anyone who logged them feels they are a find, that is fine with me. I'm not here to compete with anyone but myself.

This is all another reason not to get as involved as some communities are in the numbers game. Each of us all has their own stengths and weakneses. Some of us are more physically able and some of us have more time to devote to caching. Some people only do 2*'s or easier; some do only 3*'s or harder. What is 10 finds to one of us may be equal to 40 finds for another person.

Default True words....

Dave I have to agree with most everything you wrote concerning the numbers. I personaly am not in it for volume of caches showing up on my ticker. If I find it then I log it. If I don't find it, or I'm sure "I'm just in the right area" I don't log it either. I would like to see event cache be just what they are, events. GC should allow us to post them like a new hide just so they will pop up to alert the caching public. They do not necessarily need to make for a number in a total. That however is a minor point. Just to clarify on my Cashe Bashe event. It was never implied for the game coordinates to be anything other than that, a game. If event caches are done that way elsewhere, then people are just fooling themselves as to their totals I guess. I personaly am not interested. I also was at that last event and chose not to log pocket caches. If others did, Oh well. They know how many they have really done. And remember, these are just opinions and observations. Thanks

Keep in mind that this is the same "group" that seems to think that a microcache at evey rest stop is just dandy.

I visited their "Geocaching Friends" cache and see that it contains, among other things, "7 cache starter kits" - film canisters with a couple of scraps of paper.

What my avatar says not withstanding, I like to find REAL caches.

I fully agree with BRDAD, ATTROLL and Mainiac.

Default Pocket caches

I was also at the last event and chose not to do those caches, which indicates my feelings about them. But that was MY choice. The types of caches others do and how they get their numbers is of no concern to me. I enjoy the events and meeting other cachers but I like to burn "gas" to get my caches.

Arrow Welcome to Maine...now go home!

Thanks for the reality check guys...it didn't even sink in with me that by logging these that I wasn't playing by the rules. I've done what I needed to do to fix it, and boy, I feel better already! Thanks again all...you guys are the best!!!

Default Might serve a purpose

I'd never heard of a pocket cache until I just read this thread. I kind of like the idea because it seems to me that this type of activity would serve as a great ice breaker/ mingling tool. What a great way to get people who don't know each other to strike up a conversation.

I'm a bit confused on how one would go about annoucing that they had such a pocket cache game in effect without giving away the fact that they were the one with the item in their pocket. Can someone explain that piece of it for me?

Even though I think the idea sounds like fun and would make a good party game, I don't agree with having folks log an extra find on the event cache page. I don't really see how one leads to the other unless, as stated by others above, it is all about patting the numbers, which I for one don't give a hoot about.

While we are on the subject, I think it is a little strange that the website lets you log multiple finds on a single cache at all. It seems like it is kind of a bug.

But hey, if folks want to have big numbers on their profiles, that's thier issue, not mine. Let them log the same cache over and over and over. It doesn't hurt anyone really now does it. Unless of course you really do care about the numbers....
    Last edited by Team Trout; 11-15-2004 at 03:07 PM.

Default Pocket caches

They had a handout that told about the pocket caches. I had never heard of them either but after talking to Mainiac1957 I learned what their purpose was and chose not to do them. I agree, an activity like this might be a great ice-breaker, but it depends on what the situation is. Many people just like to sit around and exchange stories, ideas, and techniques. I liked Mainiac's idea of a cache hunt that was rewarded with a door prize. You didn't have to take part, but it was fun for everyone. Brdad's post earlier in this thread sums it up pretty well.
    Last edited by parmachenee; 11-16-2004 at 08:01 AM.

I emailed Groundspeak on this subject. I told them how I felt and asked them how they felt on users doing this. Since I wrote I have been corresponding in email with GPSFUN from Groundspeak. He has told me that he discussed the concern I raised with several members of the volunteer reviewer community and with the Groundspeak headquarters. His reply was:

“Generally, most of the volunteer reviewers believe the practice of logging multiple "finds" at an event cache is inappropriate. However, Groundspeak has no specific rule on what geocachers may or may not log. To Groundspeak, numbers don't matter, so we stay out of it and let the local community dictate what is ok and what is not.”

So basically it is up to the person that post the event how they handle the logs. If a person feels good about what they have done it is only there their own conscience they have to answer to.
    Blazing Troll

If someone hosts a geocaching event, it would say it's up to them to decide what "activities" are planned. I don't particularly like this "pocket cache" idea, and would not participate, but undoubtedly some people would.

Leave things like this up to the event organizer(s) and the event participants.