vb:literal>

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Opening windows

Default Opening windows

I received my new computer a couple of days ago and I am stuck trying to find out how to do something that my older computer did.

I have different icons on my desktop for different web sites I visit and when I click on them they open.

When I minimize one that is open and click on one of the other web site icons to open it, it opens in the same window. I want it so that when I click on a web site icon on my desktop each one will open in a new window. My old computer does that but my new one does not.

Can anyone help me?
    Blazing Troll

Assuming this is IE... in the Tools -> Internet Options... -> Advanced tab, in the Browsing section (listed alphabetically), there is an option for "Reuse windows for launching shortcuts". Based on the behavior you describe, this is currently checked. If so, uncheck it and I believe this will give you the behavior of opening a new window with each shortcut rather than only using one window.

Have fun!

Quote Originally Posted by kayakerinme View Post
    Assuming this is IE... in the Tools -> Internet Options... -> Advanced tab, in the Browsing section (listed alphabetically), there is an option for "Reuse windows for launching shortcuts". Based on the behavior you describe, this is currently checked. If so, uncheck it and I believe this will give you the behavior of opening a new window with each shortcut rather than only using one window.

Have fun!
    That was it Barry. Thank you very much.
    Blazing Troll

For anyone that uses Firefox, there's a similar option that lets you open any new links in a new tab. I wonder when IE will go to tabs?
    DNFTT! DNFTT! DNFTT!

"The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it..."

Quote Originally Posted by brdad View Post
    For anyone that uses Firefox, there's a similar option that lets you open any new links in a new tab. I wonder when IE will go to tabs?
    Internet Explorer 7 will do that. I've been using IE7 (Beta) off and on, and it seems to be pretty good.

Quote Originally Posted by brdad View Post
    Speaking of Firefox....My favorite Firefox tip is: Use the scroll-wheel click (or middle button click) to automatically open in a new tab. You can also scroll-wheel click to close a tab quickly.

-RanMan22

Quote Originally Posted by RanMan22 View Post
    Speaking of Firefox....My favorite Firefox tip is: Use the scroll-wheel click (or middle button click) to automatically open in a new tab. You can also scroll-wheel click to close a tab quickly.

-RanMan22
    Thanks for that tip. Lee says you are such a geek! That is way cool.
    DNFTT! DNFTT! DNFTT!

"The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it..."

Excellent tip, RanMan22! That just made FireFox even better!

Quote Originally Posted by kayakerinme View Post

Have fun!
    How VERY cool! I've had this same problem for a very long time. It USED to work that way but suddenly stopped. I don't know whether it was when I upgraded to Windows XP or when I upgraded IE, but it has been VERY irritating. I did what you said and the problem has been solved. THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU!!

I do it the oldschool way, I right click on the link and then click on "open in new window" I know it's a lot more work, but I enjoy the exercise and thought provoking challenge that it gives me on a day to day basis.
    Once the game is over, the king and the pawn go back in the same box.