vb:literal>

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Fitz Cache Revisited

Seems to me if I remember correctly Jake you were the first one to complain about the cache to begin with and warned others of the same. You even had your cache post deleted by the owner as well and complained to GPSfun to that effect.
    Just smile it won't crack your face

The statistics on sanity are that one out of every four persons is
    suffering from some sort of mental illness. Think of your three best
    friends -- if they're okay, then it's you.

Quote Originally Posted by Haffy View Post
    Seems to me if I remember correctly Jake you were the first one to complain about the cache to begin with and warned others of the same. You even had your cache post deleted by the owner as well and complained to GPSfun to that effect.
    Its comments and finger-pointing like this that make me want to stay away from here and other geocachers altogether. Sheesh folks, let it go!!
    What if the Hokey Pokey is what its all about?
    Have Fun & Be Safe!

d’76 Guest

End of discussion...

I tried to help Haffy sorry, But I dont have the energy to fight the battle with you. You guys win.

Quote Originally Posted by Smitty & Co. View Post
    Its comments and finger-pointing like this that make me want to stay away from here and other geocachers altogether. Sheesh folks, let it go!!
    Thank you. That was what I was trying to say in post #5.
    Blazing Troll

There are no winners, and it should not be a war.

As Haffy asked in the first thread, should anything have been differently?
    What are you going to do when it happens next time (And it probably will)?

And why aren't we doing it now with similar caches, like other questionable rest stops and the Little Falls Cache?
    DNFTT! DNFTT! DNFTT!

"The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it..."

d’76 Guest

Let it go folks isnt that what you wanted. No need to beat a dead horse right

Quote Originally Posted by Haffy View Post
    You are partially correct . . . and in retrospect perhaps I should have handled things a bit differently, but I believe that I actually followed most of BrDad's suggestions for dealing with a questionable cache.

I found the cache and posted a log entry suggesting that folks might want to use some caution as some type of odd activities seemed to be occuring at this location or something to that sort along with the usual log entry about what I left and took.

I deliberately used non-inflamatory language and attempted to be as obtuse as possible as to what was going on . . . only saying I personally felt uncomfortable there and while I didn't see anything illegal I felt as though folks there were not simply stopping to walk the trails, use the bathroom or have a picnic.

A few days later I happened to notice that my log entry had been erased without any notification from the owner that he/she was doing so. I sent them an e-mail outlining my concerns with the cache and suggested a note might be appropriate to put in the cache description due to some of the activities that seemed to be occuring there and added that sending an e-mail to a geocacher before deleting their log might be more courteous.

They replied back that they had some issues with my log entry and felt as though I should have e-mailed them first before posting my log entry -- a valid point I thought -- and they concluded by adding that they didn't feel they had any responsibility to notify geocachers if they deleted their log entries. They never stated one way or the other if they were going to alter their cache description and I don't believe it came out in our e-mails.

It was around this time I sent an e-mail to our reviewer asking him about the protocol of deleting log entries and if it would be OK to re-log my find . . . I also sent him all copies of my e-mailed correspondence. GPSFun returned my e-mail informing me that I could re-log the find and said he was going to post a warning note in the log entries.

Later on in an on-line chat I mentioned this cache and my main issue with the owners deleting my log entry without notification . . . although some of the debate did also involve the other activities that are occuring here . . . my main issue with this cache was the deletion of my logged entry without notification. I was a bit peeved that night -- again about the deletion.

After venting I was OK and had moved on from my issues with this cache . . . I re-logged a very terse log entry about my previous log entry being deleted -- originally I simply wanted to leave this blank since silence often speaks volumes, but was unable to do so -- and then I moved on and more or less forgot about this one "bad" cache among the countless "great" caches I've visited.

It was much later that folks began to have some issues with the activities going on at this cache and were logging similar experiences to my original cache -- in fact I was first PMed by a fellow member and alerted to the fact that a lot of other gc-ers were having similar experiences. I had no idea that other folks were having the same issues with deletions and odd experiences there since I had put this cache out of sight and mind and it was no longer an issue for me -- I had my found cache logged and I was happy.

Much later a thread appeared here on this cache and I believe in one or more threads I put down that I had some of the same concerns and shared my experience at this cache.

Other than the first e-mail or two that I sent to the owner about deleting my log I never sent them anything else via e-mail and I have never returned to the area or posted any notes on-line other than my second found note. I didn't want any more trouble from the owners and felt that what GPSFun did was very appropriate and well worded.

I still am not convinced as some gcmaine.org members that this was all an elaborate way to "lure" geocachers to the area or to promote controversy in some way . . . I believe this new geocacher placed a cache here in good faith and then was blasted for their decision and I think like many folks they became defensive. Maybe I'm just being naive, but I still believe this.

Furthermore, I honestly believe this issue has become over-blown and over-discussed. As BrDad said, to me the issue now (the issue originally was deleting the log entry without notification) is not the cache, but rather that the State/City apparently is doing very little to maintain this area by cleaning it up, patrollling it if need be, etc.
    "Courage is not the absence of fear, but the realization that there is something more important than fear."

"Death is only one of many ways to die."

Quote Originally Posted by dave1976 View Post
    Let it go folks isnt that what you wanted. No need to beat a dead horse right
    Is there a Smiley out there that shows the Smiley beating a dead equine?
    "Courage is not the absence of fear, but the realization that there is something more important than fear."

"Death is only one of many ways to die."