vb:literal>

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fitz Cache Revisited

Default Fitz Cache Revisited

I see that the Fitz cache

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache...log=y&decrypt=
    was archived recently and I know this was a hot topic so-to-speak for a while in here and maybe things could have been done differently. I just would like to know if we as a group could have done things to have made a difference from the very beginning. Not having ever been to the cache I can only reference what others experienced while looking for this particular cache. I did have a very strong view about it and even went so far as to emailing the owner at one point and asking if they could write a note as to what did indeed go on at the location but they never did write anything. I am sorry that it ended up missing regardless of the circumstances and I hope it wasn't stolen by some other cacher who had an agenda against the owner. I agree with Kacky (which doesn't happen often ) and was hoping that the MDOT would have stood up and done something to counter the activities that happened there but I guess there wasn't enough evidence to warrant the complete shutdown of the area. In the future do you think that as a group we could have done things differently or is this just the way things are nowadays? What is your opinion? Please keep on topic. Thanks Haffy
    Just smile it won't crack your face

The statistics on sanity are that one out of every four persons is
    suffering from some sort of mental illness. Think of your three best
    friends -- if they're okay, then it's you.

Default Fitz Revisited

Hope this isn't to long Haffy - it is probably appropriate to revisit. This cache is certainly NOT (yes I was yelling) one I want visitors to Maine to remember us by with what they might/may view. It is NOT where I want my friends to visit. The cache container itself was ok - the little trail ok too. It is not that which was not in good taste. It was the general overall area and activity!

The issues lie with the terrain and debris which appears to be a playground for ( ). I will let those who have viewed it fill in the blanks. Haffy asked what could we have done differently - I am not sure much aside from sponsoring (with the blessing of DOT) a huge, like Major, CITO event at that rest area. That could not have cleaned up the initial issues (cars in the lot all the time - certainly not picnicers or travelors or the "crusiin") but it would have cleaned up the very offensive eye sore of the "chair", et al.

Am not even sure a CITO would have resolved the issue that this was not a kid friendly or perhaps even all round cacher friendly area. Last Sunday, when I went by at nearly 4PM there were 8 empty cars in that area. What were they doing? Certainly not picnicing, as there were no people at tables or bbqs!

What could we have done different - I believe nothing! Should we have done anything? Yes, I believe every Geocacher is under an obligation to express their honest feelings about the safetly and description of a cache. We all view things through different eyes, have different skills and proficiencies = therefore, to keep one another safe we need to share honestly.

Just my opinion but for one I am glad that Fitz is gone unless we were as a large group going to work hard to save one cache probably inappropriately placed anyway. We would have had to engage DOT, State Reps, do major CITO (which would have been a long term problem), perhaps address enforcement with Law Enforcement and get lots of other support.

Let's remember - this rest area is within the geographic confines of Ellsworth Town lines. Someone made the decision to have the one on Rt. 1A (Bar Harbor Rd) closed - for the same types of activity Fitz is not appropriate - hello, why hasn't this one been closed? Anyone who is a "local" knows this location's reputation.

Best we just let it go! Protect our own and families - report honestly!

d’76 Guest

I reported that the cache needed maintenece and then again that it needed to be archived. Gps fun did his part as we all did. I dont think that they where active cachers i think at the point that it got to it was more of a power struggle than anything. I think we did everything possible. It started out as nice and then progressed to the end result. I say bless who ever took that cache and now it is gone. Good riddens and thank heavens that it is gone. I wish it would have been different but i think the owner was being pig headed. And risking the well being of others to boot.

Will try to be brief but I am long winded like my mother [] Mom, Hollora, and I found this cache on June 10...being new to caching I did not feel the need to elaborate in my log beyond the fact we found it. On the day I suggested we go try this cache, I did so only looking at the rating of the cache...somewhat easy, kid friendly, etc. Mom showed me the logs and being younger and very open minded I said "come on how bad can it be"...honestly it was bad and not a place I would have been happy to have my 13 year old step daughter with me. For that, I emailed the owner to express my differing opinion of their cache page description marking this cache as kid friendly and requested that this portion of the cache page be updated...received no response and I see nothing was changed on the page. I believe that many people emailed the owner about this cache as well as indicated problems with the area in their logs...I don't know what could have been done differently as it appears to me people approached this from many angles and the cache owners just chose to be unresponsive?!?!
    Becka Francis Family

I think this topic has been beaten to death already.
    Blazing Troll

I agree with Rick.
    But I will say I think things could have been done differently. Sure, the cache is gone and people are happy, but the situation still exists there.
    It seems all those emails did was upset another cacher. I'm not sure what the best answer was, but this didn't work.
    Think it over, but lets move on...
    DNFTT! DNFTT! DNFTT!

"The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it..."

d’76 Guest

This is one of those oppurtunities where maybe we need to discuss the situation. We did the right thing. We started with nice emails and the logs did start out on the right track. It was when we where completely ignored or even had our logs deleted that things might have got a bit forward.

I dont feel that we have "beat this up" I think we achieved what we tried to do. The cache is gone end of story. If you want to discuss what to do next time if something like this arises then we should do that. If you dont want to be part of the conversation then dont read it . I am interested in knowing what we could have done differently.

I thought that we tried about everything. THis was one of those touchy subjects that will come up again somewhere down the line.

It is a nice area. NIce forest. A cache will more than likely be put back in time. And further more Fitz may choose to do so themselves.

Thanks Dave I feel the same way. Somethings just can't be put to rest Rick and I think that this was one of them regardless of what you feel. If every topic was put to rest because of one person's feelings then where would all the important contributions from all of our world leaders be without a democratic society? Think about that.
    Just smile it won't crack your face

The statistics on sanity are that one out of every four persons is
    suffering from some sort of mental illness. Think of your three best
    friends -- if they're okay, then it's you.

Ok, so lets use an existing cache to see what can be done. How about Little Falls Cache (GCWMFE) by Sudonim (2/2)? I'd be more fearfull of being shot there than visiting the Fitz Cache. Should we all email Andy and tell him it should be archived? Post numerous notes to the cache page? Contact gc.com and alert them? Go steal the cache?

Many caches have their dangers. Some from natural surroundings, some from animals, some from people. Sometimes they are more dangerous to certian groups, like age, sex, and race. It is nice when the description alerts cachers to those dangers.

Assuming the cache is placed within gc.com guidelines, if a cache appears to have dangers not posted on the cache page, it seems a polite email to the owner would be the first step. I don't see where it does any good to send multiple emails. They got the message in the first email, if they think the issue needs to be addressed they will do so.

If that does not work and you still feel strongly that people should be warned, then it makes sense to email a gc.com volunteer. If they argree and take action, by a cache log, note to the owner, or other means, IMO that is about all that can and should be done as far as the cache is concerned.

Other than that, adressing the real issue seems to be the best route to go. What good is getting the cache archived do? It prevents a few cachers monthly from visiting the area. It doesn't stop the danger there, and it doesn't stop non-cachers from unknowiningly accessing the area, either.

I don't expect the DOT to jump on any of these issues. I imagine the get contacted daily about these and other issues. But they should be informed. And, the more they are informed the more likely they may do somethign about it. In the case of the Fitz cache, these people hang out there because no one else does. If you can turn that around, that would be the best action.
    DNFTT! DNFTT! DNFTT!

"The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it..."

Quote Originally Posted by brdad View Post
    Ok, so lets use an existing cache to see what can be done. How about Little Falls Cache (GCWMFE) by Sudonim (2/2)? I'd be more fearfull of being shot there than visiting the Fitz Cache. Should we all email Andy and tell him it should be archived? Post numerous notes to the cache page? Contact gc.com and alert them? Go steal the cache?

Many caches have their dangers. Some from natural surroundings, some from animals, some from people. Sometimes they are more dangerous to certian groups, like age, sex, and race. It is nice when the description alerts cachers to those dangers.

Assuming the cache is placed within gc.com guidelines, if a cache appears to have dangers not posted on the cache page, it seems a polite email to the owner would be the first step. I don't see where it does any good to send multiple emails. They got the message in the first email, if they think the issue needs to be addressed they will do so.

If that does not work and you still feel strongly that people should be warned, then it makes sense to email a gc.com volunteer. If they argree and take action, by a cache log, note to the owner, or other means, IMO that is about all that can and should be done as far as the cache is concerned.

Other than that, adressing the real issue seems to be the best route to go. What good is getting the cache archived do? It prevents a few cachers monthly from visiting the area. It doesn't stop the danger there, and it doesn't stop non-cachers from unknowiningly accessing the area, either.

I don't expect the DOT to jump on any of these issues. I imagine the get contacted daily about these and other issues. But they should be informed. And, the more they are informed the more likely they may do somethign about it. In the case of the Fitz cache, these people hang out there because no one else does. If you can turn that around, that would be the best action.
    Well stated.

Playing the devil's advocate here for a minute as well . . . my e-mail filters often send gc.com e-mail to my "trash" without me reading them . . . in fact I've now fallen into the habit of checking my in box and trash can for any unread and wanted e-mail. I suppose it's possible, some gc-ers who receive an e-mail message and do not respond right away or at all, may have the same issue.
    "Courage is not the absence of fear, but the realization that there is something more important than fear."

"Death is only one of many ways to die."