vb:literal>

Thread: Easy GPS Software help

Default Easy GPS Software help

I have a question that I am hoping maybe someone can answer. I started using that Easy GPS software to download the waypoints for my 60csx on my GPS and I began with selecting my GPS, the 60csx and then to edit>>preferences>>my GPS Recievers>>Geocaching and then on the comment area in the middle, I choose Geocache Hint Decrypt, which should leave the hint decrypt as a note on my GPS, right? But it does not. I am hoping this is making sense to you of what I am asking. I would really appriciate any help/advice. I like having the hint and it should do it automatically in the note box on the GPS, since I selected it, but it is not, so I am missing something somewhere, I think... How do I go about doing it the way I am talking about?
    Sorry, you can not add yourself to your own ignore list.

oops - this post was an error
    ~ Beach Comber ~

oops - this post was an error too!
    ~ Beach Comber ~

I don't know if GSAK functions at all like Easy GPS, but I saw this today (written by Gob-ler) and was excited to learn about these options. I didn't know you could do this with GSAK. So, if you don't get anything specific about Easy GPS, maybe this is worth a try with that program ........

----------------------------

GSAK also will dump all the caches and coordinates into your GPS receiver. There are a couple of things I do at this point that greatly enhance the information being sent to the GPS. As you configure this powerful program you have the opportunity to send specialized information to your GPS’r.

Instead of sending the standard GC names you can configure GSAK to send Cache type and container type to the receiver. To do this go to the “Send to GPS menu” and under Waypoint Names enter the following: %con1%typ1%drop2 this will drop the GC from the 6 letter Geocaching.com name and insert a letter designation that tells you first the container and then the type of cache. For instance GCAAAA might become MTAAAA. This tells you by looking at your GPS screen that this cache is a Micro/Traditional Cache.

The second thing you may want to do is also send the hint to your GPS’r. To do this go to the “Send to GPS menu” and under Waypoint Description enter the following %hint. This will place the hint up to 20 letters or so into the GPS receiver so when you tell your GPS to go to a certain waypoint if there is a hint it is right there for you.

------------------------

Have you used GSAK at all? It is a great tool. One of the things that I like about it is there are many users here so have a support network readily available!
    ~ Beach Comber ~

Thanks. I bought the GSAK program last night...looks like I got some studying to do.
    Sorry, you can not add yourself to your own ignore list.

I'm still trying to figure out the GSAK program myself...not sure if it's completely compatible with the eTrex Legend, but will see soon. I'm waiting for a serial/USB converter so i can start using my new laptop as well.

Any hints or suggestions?
    "When I get back I'm bringing a weedwacker and a stun gun!"

Quote Originally Posted by MoxieMan View Post
    I'm still trying to figure out the GSAK program myself...not sure if it's completely compatible with the eTrex Legend, but will see soon. I'm waiting for a serial/USB converter so i can start using my new laptop as well.

Any hints or suggestions?
    GSAK is a VERY complex program - it will do almost anything you can think of with waypoints - but you don't have to be an expert to get a lot of use out of it.

And YES, it works very well with the eTrex Legend! LOL!

Email me if you have specific questions. (Part of the product support that goes with the Legend I sold you! )

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by WhereRWe? View Post
    GSAK is a VERY complex program - it will do almost anything you can think of with waypoints - but you don't have to be an expert to get a lot of use out of it.

And YES, it works very well with the eTrex Legend! LOL!

Email me if you have specific questions. (Part of the product support that goes with the Legend I sold you! )

Wow! Now that is service!! If anything comes up I will definitely let you know. By the way, the Legend has been very helpful. I found "Gob-ler's Cache" in Falmouth on Saturday. It brought me within 2 ft. and was pointing 3 ft. in the direction of the cache.
    "When I get back I'm bringing a weedwacker and a stun gun!"

Just remember that GSAk also have their own support forums as well. When you have GSAk running at the top of the page go to the help file and there you will find the GSAK forums where you can get help on anything related to GSAK,it has been a great help to me.
    Just smile it won't crack your face

The statistics on sanity are that one out of every four persons is
    suffering from some sort of mental illness. Think of your three best
    friends -- if they're okay, then it's you.