Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Laws to abide by while Geocaching

Default Laws to abide by while Geocaching

Hello Everyone,

This is Mrs. Neon. I am taking a business law class this semester and my professor would like me to write about Geocaching for my final paper, because she thinks it's interesting. However, in order to be okay for the paper it has to involve laws of some kind. I've looked a bit on geocaching.com and it doesn't really go into laws, just their general rules. Could I have some assistance from you "experienced" cachers about some laws and regulations we need to abide by while hiding and/or seeking a cache. Any input would be greatly appreciated

Hi There!! Hope you, Mr. Neon, and Neon Baby are all doing well

Sounds like an interesting class! I haven't looked at things specifically. but I would wonder if you might be able to find some information about school grounds, government building and property laws, State park laws, etc. Perhaps copyright laws. Check out the guidelines on GC.com and think about it from a state or federal law standpoint. Even if GC.com considers it respectful or common sense practice, there may very well be a related law. Not sure if this is helpful, but wanted to share how I would approach if I were looking into it.

Have fun!!
    ~ Beach Comber ~

All land access laws must be obeyed, even though most people have no idea what they are, and they vary greatly from place to place.

Default Access

Areas around railroad tracks was a hot topic not long ago. Not being able to walk along or cross them legally, was the issue. Good luck. Hope this helps, try searching this website for railroad. I know there was a thread not long ago.
    Why not live life like it is your last day....instead of pretending to be a member of the Peter Pan Club and believing you will be around forever.

National Parks, I also believe - are a no, no. There was a container just removed from some National Park land on an off shore Maine island.

Again, this sounds like an interesting paper. Perhaps you could share your research with us on the website when done.

Good Luck!

As mentioned there was quite a lively topic on RR rules, regulations and laws in one thread . . . and you can always ask Hiram about the consequence of disobeying those signs that state an area is only open from dawn to dusk or some variation of that theme.
    "Courage is not the absence of fear, but the realization that there is something more important than fear."

"Death is only one of many ways to die."

I'm sure some tenents of the Patriot Act might apply. Hiding PVC pipe caches on bridges and tunnels, around airports, things like that. Just an idea.

You might also mention the demise of the selectable availability "feature" of the GPS system back in the Regan era that allowed Geocaching to exist as we know it.

Quote Originally Posted by tat View Post
    All land access laws must be obeyed, even though most people have no idea what they are, and they vary greatly from place to place.
    This is the first thing that came to my mind as well. I've only found 30+ caches but I've come across at 4 or 5 that I didn't attempt to log (just sent note to owner) because the cache was clearly in posted "No Trespassing" land.
    "When I get back I'm bringing a weedwacker and a stun gun!"

Default My Geocaching Commandments

How about:
    1. Thou shalt not steal thy neighbor's cache
    2. Thou shalt replace thy cache as it was found
    3. Thou shalt not disrupt thy cache's local environment
    4. Thou shalt not use inferior plastic storage containers
    5. Thou shalt trade for items of equal or greater value
    6. Thou shalt always log thy travel bugs
    7. Thou shalt maintain thy cache
    8. Thou shalt hide thy cache in areas of some significance
    9. Thou shalt not hide thy cache on private land without permission
    10. Thou shalt not tresspass while hiding or seeking a cache

Quote Originally Posted by tat View Post
    Like the "night cache" I went to do, then at the kiosk it clearly states that the land open hours are from dawn to dusk. I was surprised no one mentioned that when they logged their finds. http://www.sacobaytrails.org/rules.shtml