vb:literal>

Thread: Need help with with GC query's

Default Need help with with GC query's

With Maine having so many caches now. I can no longer download the query's off GC in two files. It seems that I need to do it in three query's now. Does anyone else have to do this and is so, what are the three query's you run and the dates that you put in the query's?
    Blazing Troll

Quote Originally Posted by attroll View Post
    With Maine having so many caches now. I can no longer download the query's off GC in two files. It seems that I need to do it in three query's now. Does anyone else have to do this and is so, what are the three query's you run and the dates that you put in the query's?
    I run one query for each year, with 500caches as the max, that works out pretty good for me.(the query for the current year I have set 2006 to 2007)
    Once the game is over, the king and the pawn go back in the same box.

I've got mine set to exclude caches I've already found. No use in getting updates on caches I don't plan on visiting again! That expands the radius of the query quite a bit. Other than that, if I'm planning on caching out of my local area I'll use the "caches along a route" or generate a new query for that vicinity

Well the reason I bring this up was because I currently run two query's from GC and import them into GSAK.

Here are the query's

2001 to 2005
    any type
    any container
    maine
    January 01 2001 to July 04 2005

2005 to 2008
    any type
    any container
    maine
    July 05 2005 to July 04 2008

The problem is that is does not seem to load all the caches for me. I don't know if it is because of the query or GSAK. I tend to think it is the query though. When I load these query's into GSAK it did not load any of the caches from the county fo Loring.
    Blazing Troll

I wonder if it is cutting off some because there are more than 500 in the results. I do something similar to what hiram does - I run 4 queries. I have clumped 2000 - 2003 together. Outside of that, I do one for 2004, 2005, and 2006. I exclude the caches that I have found or that I own. When I pull them into GSAK, I combine them into one database and then filter or search using that program. Works well. I seem to get all caches for the state that way.
    ~ Beach Comber ~

Quote Originally Posted by Beach Comber View Post
    I wonder if it is cutting off some because there are more than 500 in the results. I do something similar to what hiram does - I run 4 queries. I have clumped 2000 - 2003 together. Outside of that, I do one for 2004, 2005, and 2006. I exclude the caches that I have found or that I own. When I pull them into GSAK, I combine them into one database and then filter or search using that program. Works well. I seem to get all caches for the state that way.

yes it does cut them off, thats why i run one pq for each year
    Once the game is over, the king and the pawn go back in the same box.

Yep there are more than 500 from 2001 to 2005 that is why. Just use each year and you should be all set.
    Just smile it won't crack your face

The statistics on sanity are that one out of every four persons is
    suffering from some sort of mental illness. Think of your three best
    friends -- if they're okay, then it's you.

d’76 Guest

I just use 3 zip codes spread out across the state and have no problems, I dont get pqs on the ones I have done.

The problem with using zip codes is that you get many duplicates where the search radius overlaps, and if one of those PQs has over 500 caches in it, it will not show either. but if it works for you, that's all that matters.

Currently I am running 3 for my unfound Maine caches:
    January 01, 2000 - April 30, 2006 = 433 caches
    May 01 2006 - September 30, 2006 = 471 caches
    October 01 2006 - December 31, 2009 = 2 caches

As you can see, I do my PQs by the month.

The trick as I have posted in another thread is to select no days to run when you initially set the query, or deselect all days if you are editing. Then edit or create the query, and choose the "preview the search" link after doing so. Check to make sure it is not over 500. If it is over, narrow the dates. If it is way under, widen the dates. Once you have close to, but not over 500 caches in the PQ, then select the date(s) you wish it to run.

Even this technique takes some maintenence as eventually the most current date PQ will grow over 500, and the older PQs will typically drop in numbers as time goes on.

Personally I am concerned so many caches have been placed this year, but that is a topic for another thread.
    DNFTT! DNFTT! DNFTT!

"The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it..."