vb:literal>

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Why did you change the chat?

Hybrid View

Unhappy Why did you change the chat?

What was wrong with the last chat we were using? I cannot log onto the new one! Some sort of security message.
    Why not live life like it is your last day....instead of pretending to be a member of the Peter Pan Club and believing you will be around forever.

The last chat program had a back door in it that I was not aware of and someone found it and really screwed the site up on 04 Sept. That is why we had to change it.

I don't know what kind of security message your getting unless you are blocking java from being used on your computer maybe.
    Blazing Troll

What is the security message?
    IIRC, both Java and Actrive X needs to be enabled in internet options for it to work.

Also, sometimes a security message may come up asking if it is ok to run the software, you will have to select yes if that is the case.

I had trouble with Lee's new XP machine, from what I gathered it was because the Java required doesn't come with the Internet Explorer that comes with XP. So, I just installed Firefox and it worked fine.

And, as I have said before, the best answer is to use an installed IRC client such as mIRC or Trillian.
    DNFTT! DNFTT! DNFTT!

"The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it..."

I get a message indicating that my user name and/or password are incorrect. Do I use the same ones that I use to log into the website?
    ~ Beach Comber ~

This is the message I get also?

Unable to connect : com.ms.security.SecurityExceptionEx : cannot connect to "irc.slashnet.org"
    “Sometimes it is easier to beg for forgiveness, than ask for permission”

When I hit the Chat button on the top I get page can not be displayed???

The other chat works for me

Default Same

Quote Originally Posted by Buck451 View Post
    This is the message I get also?

Unable to connect : com.ms.security.SecurityExceptionEx : cannot connect to "irc.slashnet.org"
    This is the same message I get, no matter which of the two links I click on. The nav bar, or the one on the right side.

When I click on Brdad's link in one of the posts I am able to connect, to the chat. But that's alot of work for the computer iliterate. Thanks for trying to fix this.
    Why not live life like it is your last day....instead of pretending to be a member of the Peter Pan Club and believing you will be around forever.

are all of you going to this link? http://www.geocachingmaine.org/forum/chat/

What are you people using for browsers that can not connect?
    Blazing Troll

Rick, when I followed the "Chat" link on the top of the home page I got an error stating the my username and password were invalid. I did that twice, then I clicked the "chat" link on the right hand side of the home page and the chat loaded up with no issue. I'm using IE 7. I was thinking you had some syntax errors as one versus the other link worked.

If you google the error Buck mentiones, there are hundreeds of pages about it, mostly to do with trusting the java applet in security somehow. Unfortunately, there is little to do with how to fix it.

Perhaps any of you having trouble could try the applet on slashnet:

1.Click here: http://www.slashnet.org/java.php
    With any luck, a Java screen will load and will automatically connect you to the IRC server. If not, Java may need to be upgraded or some other settings adjusted. We'll have to deal with that as we go.

2. In the top left corner, where is says Enter nick:, enter your geocaching name or whatever name you want to be in the box and hit the Enter key.

3. In the lower part of the window, where you would normally type text for the chat, type /join #geocachingmaine.
    DNFTT! DNFTT! DNFTT!

"The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it..."