vb:literal>

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My GPS

Default My GPS

I am getting fed up with my GPS. It worked great when I first started geocaching with it. But now for the last 10 or so caches it has been jumping around a lot. I don't know if it is my GPS or what it is. I have even had problems on good clear days. I don't know if it is going bad or what the heck. But like I said when I first started geocaching it worked awesome. It would take me right to the cache spot. Now it seems to jump around everytime I use it.

I was wondering if anyone else has experienced this.
    Blazing Troll

I have the original yellow Etrex, bought it when they first came out. It goes for spells where I think it must have finally failed, but then it comes back. I blame it on the stars - or the sattelites anyway. There just seems to be certian periods where you don't have the right ones at the right time, often they are right on the horizon or all lined up in a line, which affects accuracy a ton. I also notice poor results on a really overcast day. What really gets me is how two similar units can be picking up different sats and have different readings.

I'll bet you've got an eTrex Legend! Mine has been doing exactly the same thing.

I've been using a suggestion that someone - Haffy6 I think posted some time ago: to approach the cache slowly, letting your GPS settle down. But lately even this doesn't seem to work. In frustration, wee'll even set the thing down and watch it bounce all over. It has gotten so that we don't even let the GPS guide us "to the cache" - we just get to the general area and let our caching experience take over.

Sheesh!

Angry Me too!

I have an eTrex Vista and have been frustrated by the bouncing around as well. I now pay much less attention to the arrow and focus on the distance. Sometimes it means that I have to back track a bit if I get off course, but it has been a more successful approach than that blasted arrow!

Well at least I don't feel too left out on this one! My merigold jumps around most of the time, especially on FTFs !! I like to blame it on the government (the men in black) and their control over the sats and what they want to broadcast on civilian freqs. Cant really blame them, after all it does come down to a matter of national security dont ya know.
    Last edited by Pooh and friends; 11-22-2004 at 10:45 PM.

Cool Similar trouble here...

I have a Legend. Last Saturday I got a little frustrated with it due to the bouncing... I found several times that it would fluctuate 60 feet up and down while standing 10 feet from the cache. The next couple of caches would be right on. Then back to the bounce.

Wink Mysterious

Pooh - I would have thought you would believe that you have Tigger Syndrome - bounce, bounce, bounce - hehehe

Question Oy

I can't believe you said that. Cute,very cute.

Someone is being silly. Have you been at the eggnog again?

Default Problem?

My gpsr just has a problem picking up brdad's McDonald's camo wrapped toy boxes by the dumpster. Must be all that metal nearby that throws it off!!