vb:literal>

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: stolen or muggled caches in Maine

Question stolen or muggled caches in Maine

Recently had a big cache stolen. This cache was hard for cachers to find so was surprised that it would turn up missing.
    I notified the out-of- state TB owners who had TB's in there. one from CA the other from NJ. they told me that they have had many caches muggled. I can understand the risk in CA and NJ--being high population areas-- but for Maine it seems rather odd that caches would be muggled.
    Has there been any research on muggled/missing caches done for Maine?
    We've learned our lesson and are going to smaller caches, farther off a trail and in more remote areas. i don't like going farther off a trail due to environmental concerns and remote areas mean fewer chances for moving TBs.
    Any other comments, ideas for safe guarding caches.
    Parrot head

I've only been hiding caches a little over a year now, but so far none have come up muggled so far that I know about (knock on wood.)

When I hide a cache I always try to think in terms of the location. For example, if a cache is an area that is frequented by muggles I'll often try to move the cache to an area that is away from the most common path of travel. For example, one of my caches is on a hilltop that is frequented by hikers, bikers, ATVers, snowmobilers and even partying folks once in a while . . . while I wanted to bring geocachers there for the view I didn't want my ammo can to go MIA so the actual cache is located a bit downhill in an area that is not prone to geo paths (stone wall) and most muggles would never wander into that area.

In addition, I try to avoid using the dreaded geo-stick piles to hide the cache container whenever possible since there are few things less natural looking in nature than a pile of perfectly stacked braches. I often will look around an area and try to think how I can incorporate the surrounding area and terrain into the hide . . . i.e. stumps, dead logs, low-lying areas.

I think picking the right container is important. While I love to use ammo containers I have used micros in a few cases. In the cases when I have used micro caches I did so since the cache was in an area frequented my muggles where a large cache container would be difficult to hide easily without folks noticing. In general, however, I have tried to use ammo boxes since the areas I pick are usually good spots for ammo boxes and the ammo boxes with their natural olive-color seem to blend in pretty well . . . on occasion I have painted them black though when the black color would work better for camouflage.

Finally, I try to check in on my caches once in a while to make sure they are where and how I placed them . . . it's a simple concept, but for some reason some geocachers have a problem with the concept of leaving the hide as they found it. I can't tell you the number of times I've checked a cache only to find it hidden with the dreaded pile of geosticks or in some other manner that was not the way I hid it. In addition I check in on these caches since things change . . . i.e. one of my caches was hidden in an out of the way corner of a park . . . and within the last few months a trail was opened up right next to this cache so I had to make sure it was well hidden since there was the potential for more muggles to spot this cache now.

Obviously, none of these ideas are fool-proof . . . and in all honesty I suspect that one of these days a DNF logged by a geocacher will not be a case of a hard-to-find cache, but rather an actual muggled cache. I must also add that most of my caches are not in high density urban areas which I realize reduces the likelihood of the cache being muggled. Again, these are just my opinions.

P.S. Welcome to the geocachingmaine.org BBS!
    "Courage is not the absence of fear, but the realization that there is something more important than fear."

"Death is only one of many ways to die."

Which cache did you have stolen and where was it?
    Blazing Troll

A couple of years ago I had my first cache muggled along with other caches as well. They were either destroyed or stolen by a bunch of hooligans who were in it for the fun of it I guess. They ended up destroying or stealing I think 5 or 6 cashes in the general vacinity. Since then they have grown up and moved to more lucrative ways to spend their time. And just recently I had another cache stolen at the China School Forest, I was suprised that that ended up missing but I replaced both of the caches and hopefully they won't be bothered again. Just the chance you take I guess leaving anything outdoors unattended these days. My last cache placement though I made it a members only cache until all the TB's and geocoins that I originally left in it were passed along. Sorry to hear about your loss, which cache was it that was stolen?
    Just smile it won't crack your face

The statistics on sanity are that one out of every four persons is
    suffering from some sort of mental illness. Think of your three best
    friends -- if they're okay, then it's you.

My first cache was also taken. A few experienced cachers had suggested this might happen.

Uust replaced it, a little more stealthy this time, and low and behold - the orginal cache reappeared. I had posted a note on GC.com about the missing cache - in case the muggles were watching the web site. I didn't even know the original was back until some cachers logged a Two-for!

Went and retrieved the original container and the replacement has stayed so far. I can't wait to develop the camera which was in the first cache - I am using up the film. There is no question - putting out a cache you take a risk.....but as far as I am concerned it is a risk worth taking.

Do feel sorry when there are TBs or coins muggled with a cache. Just spent some time locally educating a local coin dealer and pawn broker about Geocaching coins. He had not yet seen them but now knows what to look for should they come into his shop. Fortunately he sells on line so can get right on and check them to see if they were muggled. Regretfully, I think this will be the next level. Have put several coins in caches, logged them appropriately and then they have disappeared. This really upsets me as I don't want to get blamed.

What cache did you loose?

I've only had one cache turn up missing, and that one has 3 or 4 times now. But I think every time it dropped from it's perch, except maybe the last time. Oddly enough, the last time the missing cache turned up a month later two feet from my replacement cache! All my other caches are far off the beaten path, so they would be unlikely to be muggled.

Anyway, in high population areas any cache has a greater likelyhood of being muggled. Also, in an area with more cachers, it is also more likely an unhappy cacher might remove someone elses cache. A bit childish, but unfortunately it does happen.
    DNFTT! DNFTT! DNFTT!

"The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it..."

Quote Originally Posted by attroll View Post
    Which cache did you have stolen and where was it?
    I also ask...

Just checked their profile and this is the cache that was stolen: http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache...5-a8d13911a48f
    Just smile it won't crack your face

The statistics on sanity are that one out of every four persons is
    suffering from some sort of mental illness. Think of your three best
    friends -- if they're okay, then it's you.

Oh yea, I remember this one. I posted a DNF because the coordinates were way off. I was going to go back, but I guess there is no sense now.
    Blazing Troll

Quote Originally Posted by attroll View Post
    Oh yea, I remember this one. I posted a DNF because the coordinates were way off. I was going to go back, but I guess there is no sense now.

when I went the Coords were right on (the rocks made it hard to get a good signal) but it is in a popular area for the local land owners maybe one of them stumbled upon it)
    Once the game is over, the king and the pawn go back in the same box.