vb:literal>

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: An Association?

Talking

I guess I'm going to just chime in now too, since I am so confused as to Which of the 3 "The Stand" caches I have done and have fogotten what this topic was originally about.. As far as I see it, I found "The Stand" cache container, which was missing, but it's not really missing it's just at "The Stand With a View" location. But, I didn't find it at "The Stand With a View" location, nor did I find it at "The Stand II" location, which was what I was looking for when I found it, but at the location of "The Stand" cache, because the Cachemate file I had had the coordinates for the oringal "The Stand" cache, not "The Stand II" cache, which I thought I was looking for. So, now it seems I have to go find "The Stand With a View" container, which I have actually allready found, but at "The Stand" location. Plus, if I decide I can double log a cache, I can go find "The Stand II" cache, which I have not found, but was looking for with the wrong coords when I found "The Stand".
    Hmm, maybe I should have logged both a DNF and a find on that cache?

You want us to appoint a committee to look into this?

Default The Stand?

Hey Brdad,this sounds like the plot to a Stephen King novel "The Stand" LOL

Unhappy holy smokes!

brdad's confusion and concerns should clearly go before the Geocaching Board - this might help to determine if the cache has been established, re-established, and re-re-established according to current geocaching placement rules and regulations. I am also very concerned that daddy-o may not have logged a DNF when he should have - a clear violation of the "Oath of the Geocacher".

hehehehe

Default The Stand

I think brdad really needs to make a "stand" here!!

Thumbs down Amen.

Quote Originally Posted by Pooh and friends
    I think that Geocaching Maine is fine just like it is. Why fix it if it aint broke.

You already have a lot going on, the cookouts/cache events, the gatherings for wings n beer, day trips and campouts to name just a few. From past experience the more complicated a group becomes the harder it is to do the things you want with out a lot of red tape. I haven’t had any luck making it to the events in the past year but from all the postings it sounds like there are some excellent people in this group putting in a lot of hours making it (Geocaching Maine) happen.
    Like Hiker Twins and brdad, I agree with Pooh and friends. Do we really need an official organization? Sound like a lot of extra complication for what is supposed to be a fun pasttime. Regular dues, regular meetings, etc.... Sounds like a lot of commitments to be lived up to. I do this for fun and if it starts to become a hassle and complicates my already over complicated life, I want no parts of it.

What's next? The super secret club handshake?

Wink It's true!

You don't already know the handshake? Yikes! I thought that was a requirement to join this website

Default Fun?

I have to agree with Team Trout and Pooh and Friends. I geocache because I can do it WHEN I WANT TO without time commitments and restraints. I also do it for the enjoyment and ,of course, THE NUMBERS!! When I left teaching I swore off meetings...they singlehandledly stifle more creativity and potential than any other single reason. Informal geocaching events have been enjoyable and informative and seem to be working for us right now. A few people have taken on the responsibility for those events, but I'm sure others will gladly offer help if new events are planned. Regular meetings and dues go against my 60's influence. I WILL meet any of you at the next cache though.

Quote Originally Posted by Team Trout
    Like Hiker Twins and brdad, I agree with Pooh and friends. Do we really need an official organization? Sound like a lot of extra complication for what is supposed to be a fun pasttime. Regular dues, regular meetings, etc.... Sounds like a lot of commitments to be lived up to. I do this for fun and if it starts to become a hassle and complicates my already over complicated life, I want no parts of it.

What's next? The super secret club handshake?
    Hello?

As well as there are people who are NOT "joiners", there are many people who like the increased activity associated with a formal organization. And the only objection to the idea that I see as valid is the idea of a "central Maine" group.
    I agree that there are many "regulars" in this forums and at the recent cache events who are not from "central Maine", and I agree that any organization should not be structured so as to exclude them.

Where does it say that you can't be a geocacher if you don't join an organization? This thread is about the IDEA of forming an association. Not whether you personally want to join or not.

I'm interested in local history, but I'm not a member of the local historical society.

I like to fish but I'm not a member of Trout Unlimited.

I like to hunt but I'm not a member of the NRA.

Ad nauseum...

Sheesh! Lighten up! I don't think anyone is talking about replacing the Geocachingmaine website with a formal, sitdown organization.

The idea of an "association" is a valid idea. If one is established, and you don't want to join, DON'T. We'll still love you... And we'll let you put your travel bugs in our caches, too.

Damn. I'm getting a headache...
    Last edited by WhereRWe?; 12-02-2004 at 07:16 PM.

Default ok...ok

Quote Originally Posted by WhereRWe?
    If one is established, and you don't want to join, DON'T. We'll still love you... And we'll let you put your travel bugs in our caches, too.
    So I won't have to learn the secret handshake??