vb:literal>

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Chat???

We all know I prefer IRC better. As far as hacking is concerned, usually the brunt there is on the actual IRC servers, which are off our site. So as far as hacking, IRC is much safer for our site. Even when using a Java chat program, if it is IRC based it is still safer.

There are other java clients, I linked Rick to one in PM a while back, maybe that would help out anyone that does not like what we have now.
    DNFTT! DNFTT! DNFTT!

"The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it..."

Default Chat Room

Hello Everyone!
    Just to let you know (for what it is worth), I have not been able to access the chat room now for months! When clicking on chat room, all I get is pretty much of a blank screen that says something to the effect, "Security issues will not allow a connections"!!!

What is up with that?

What good is a chat room if it is difficult to access??

What happened to the old chat room where I used to be able to get into without any problems at all??

I would like to chat at times, however, currently, I am totally unable to do so!

Rpapaman

Ron, this is not unusual for Java chat. If you go into Internet Explorers options, sometimes it's as simple as allowing Java, other times it's a a matter of allowing your firewall to let the Java app act as a server.

On Lee's XP machine, I gave up trying to get IE to work, and installed Firefox, and it was no problem.

I stress again, the easiest way around 99% of this trouble is to install an IRC client, like mIRC or Trillian. If you'd like to try one of those out, e-mail me, ask me here, or I will call you if you'd like and I'll walk you through it.

I allready made a tutorial for trillian if you would like to try that.
    http://www.bytethebullet.com/geocachingmaine_chat.htm

I guess I should post that on this site, as well as a tutorial for mIRC...
    DNFTT! DNFTT! DNFTT!

"The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it..."

Brdad does not know it yet but he also set it up here http://www.geocachingmaine.org/forum...ad.php?p=29646.
    Blazing Troll

Quote Originally Posted by attroll View Post
    Brdad does not know it yet but he also set it up here http://www.geocachingmaine.org/forum...ad.php?p=29646.
    LOL
    I just got back home and was pondering if I should start copying the article... And then I see it was allready done, and I sat here dumbfounded for two minutes wondering if I had done iit this morning and forgotten it. Fortunately I read this thread and saved my head from exploding.

Are we going to have a link to the articles on the main page anytime soon?

PS: The site seems very slow today, is it me? Other sites load fine.
    DNFTT! DNFTT! DNFTT!

Yes Dave you read my mind. I have been thinking about working on something like that for a day or two. I will be doing something with that soon.
    Blazing Troll

I stuck a articles block on the front page real quick. Now we need members to submit some more good helpful articles.
    Blazing Troll

Default I like it!

Great that is has categories as well.

And yes, I know there are people out there with stories and ideas that would be of benefit to the site and other cachers, it'd be great for them to sumbit their own articles.

I'm working on an mIRC version for chat as well..
    DNFTT! DNFTT! DNFTT!

Oh, BTW ... Ammo has 2 M's in it.
    DNFTT! DNFTT! DNFTT!

Every time I want to check on how I'm doing on my delorme, I spend about 1/2 hour finding the one correct post. Maybe we can add this to it as well. This is for the excel file where you plug in your finds and it does it for you.

http://www.geocachingmaine.org/forum/showpost.php?p=18053&postcount=62