vb:literal>

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: beta testing in acadia....

Default beta testing in acadia....

Hi everyone,

The NPS folks at Acadia are developing a cache, and hope it will be a prototype for geocaches in the NPS more generally. They are testing it with park staff now, but are hoping that actual geocachers will come and try it out so that they can be sure it's the kind of cache we like and that they've done a good job. If anyone is interested in giving it a whirl BEFORE December 1 (when the loop road in the park closes for the winter), let me know and i'll get you all the data. The park folks realize that they've had a somewhat adversarial relationship with geocachers in the past but now they really are trying to meet us half-way. The cache they've developed is a multi, and the version i saw, the alpha-test, i guess you could say, was pretty nice.

Quote Originally Posted by photogo View Post
    Hi everyone,

The NPS folks at Acadia are developing a cache, and hope it will be a prototype for geocaches in the NPS more generally. They are testing it with park staff now, but are hoping that actual geocachers will come and try it out so that they can be sure it's the kind of cache we like and that they've done a good job. If anyone is interested in giving it a whirl BEFORE December 1 (when the loop road in the park closes for the winter), let me know and i'll get you all the data. The park folks realize that they've had a somewhat adversarial relationship with geocachers in the past but now they really are trying to meet us half-way. The cache they've developed is a multi, and the version i saw, the alpha-test, i guess you could say, was pretty nice.

I'd be interested since my sister and brother-in-law from Alaska are coming to visit me in another week or so and I thought a visit to Acadia/Bar Harbor is a must-do . . . and introducing them to geocaching would just put some icing on the proverbial cake.
    "Courage is not the absence of fear, but the realization that there is something more important than fear."

"Death is only one of many ways to die."

i want to do it! i want to do it!
    "life is short...make a mess of it!"

I'd love to do it, I'm in/around Acadia every day during the week, and would love a cache hunt after work. Thanks

Thanks for the post Margot and I hope that through this site we will be able to beta-test the cache and that everything will go as planned. I am hoping that there will be a lot of interest in this test and I'm sure that each one who does do the cache will give some great feedback to the NPS and hopefully they will be allowing more caching in all parks throughout the country. We can only hope that things work out in the geocachers favor. I know you have been involved with working this out with the NPS for some time now and wish the best of luck with this test. Keep up the good work and keep taking those awesome photos as well.

For those of you who aren't familiar with Margot Kelly here is a site that might help to familiarize yourself with her. I met her last year at Colby where she did a seminar on geocaching through her eyes and with her photography and it was very informative.

http://www.margotannekelley.com/loca...es_thebook.htm
    Just smile it won't crack your face

The statistics on sanity are that one out of every four persons is
    suffering from some sort of mental illness. Think of your three best
    friends -- if they're okay, then it's you.

Count me in!!! I could spare a Trackable Limited Edition Acadia National Park Geocoin for the Cache if they want one.

Do you need my National Park Pass Number? it cost $10 to drive down the park loop road (beyond the toll booths).
    The Adventure
    Continues . . . .

- Zoltarus

Default Sister from AK visitng

Quote Originally Posted by firefighterjake View Post
    I'd be interested since my sister and brother-in-law from Alaska are coming to visit me in another week or so and I thought a visit to Acadia/Bar Harbor is a must-do . . . and introducing them to geocaching would just put some icing on the proverbial cake.
    Oh Jake, Oh Jake I have a TB that wants to go to AK..........can I give it to you to give to your sister to put in a cache in AK???? Please, Please, Please - TGIF

yup, I am on to doing this one too - will you be PMing the coords?

Quote Originally Posted by hollora View Post
    yup, I am on to doing this one too - will you be PMing the coords?
    the tgif gang can talk about this cache when we meet on friday - maybe we can all do it together!
    "life is short...make a mess of it!"

Quote Originally Posted by hollora View Post
    Oh Jake, Oh Jake I have a TB that wants to go to AK..........can I give it to you to give to your sister to put in a cache in AK???? Please, Please, Please - TGIF
    I can give it to her, but I don't think they have a GPSr so placing one in a cache might be a bit tricky unless they can decipher where one is based solely on the clues.
    "Courage is not the absence of fear, but the realization that there is something more important than fear."

"Death is only one of many ways to die."