vb:literal>

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hunting Season

d’76 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Smitty & Co. View Post
    Beaten severely as a child.......sounds like that may need to be addressed. As far as your last statement Dave, thats just not a real smart thing to be saying.
    Dont read to far into this. I was mearly saying that was not a tolerated comment in my house hold. And as far as my ex wife it was a joke, relax

Growing up in a hunting family I can remember hearing that term at the end of hunting seasons usually around Thanksgiving.All it meant was that the season was coming to a close,and if you wanted to get your deer you could no longer afford to be fussy.If its brown its down meant you were going to take the first legal deer you saw.

As with a lot of terms that kids hear growing up this young hunter may not have known what is meant by the term.Or it may have been taken out of content by someone who didn't know.

The world is sure a different place today.I remember hunting my way to school,and having to leave my rifle in the office till after school.

I hear that term, "If its brown its down!" several times every hunting season. Its kind of a catchy saying, sort of like, " fishy, fishy in the brook, come and bite my baited hook." I think the latter saying is more of a traditional statement during the Maine hunting season than a reflection on someones hunting ethics. I recently came back from North Dakota and the favorite saying amoungst the bird hunters was that, "If it flies it dies!" This was not an ethical statement as I saw several hunters pass up shots on Boeing 747 and Cessnas.
    I think that when someone says any of the above statements, I think its more a statement of their dedication to the sport than an actual belief that if they saw a UPS truck go by that they would shoot it. Some hunters will only shoot "trophies" --although I think any deer legally acquired should be considered a trophy-- and other hunters will take the first legal deer they can, thus, "If it's brown, it's down."

Think Safe, Be Safe.

Cache On!!

Default If it's brown it's down

I too have heard the "If it's brown it's down" saying for about the past 35 years of my hunting life. We used that saying at the hunting camps every year, meaning that the first legal deer that can be taken will be. Of course now with the Bucks only law, its narrowed down the choices a bit unless you have a Doe permit. Gail and I hunted from Dark to dark today in the rain and cold. We saw 6 deer, and came home with none. We could have shot 3 of them illegaly, as they were there just before legal shooting time, but mysteriously vanished at 6:38. The other 3 were on the side of the road, within site of 2 residences, but were over 100 yards from either . We could have legally taken 1 of them, as Gail has a doe permit this year, but we did'nt feel it was right to fire a high powered rifle within sight of anyones house, legal or not. This was very hard for Gail, because she has hunted hard the past 3 years with me and has yet to get a deer. There goes the "If it's brown its down" theory. We love the outdoors, and spending time together hunting, Geocaching, Fishing , and camping. I'm sure she will get her chance sometime, and she still is unsure if she will actually shoot one when the chance arrives,,to which I say,,thats OK. As far as the child discipline thing,,,,My mother never was afraid to dig out the spatula and whack my butt all the way across the room when I deserved it, and you never heard me pull a temper tantrum in public or say "NO" to my parents. I don't think this was abuse, it taught me respect for my parents and elders, which seems to have gone by the wayside today. We don't condone child abuse, but show me a kid that has had the fear of God put into him by a "Time Out". Sheesh!! Take a look at some of these Kids you see today, looks to me like they get to do whatever they want so their little feelings won't get hurt. They can dress anyway they like, stay out late, pierce themselves all over the place, say anything they want to anyone they want,cause they have rights!! The only right I had growing up was the right to be a kid. My adult rights came when I became an adult, not before, and priveliges were earned, not handed out. And I still did'nt turn out perfect. What chance do kids have today if parents can't or won't spend the time to steer their kids in the right direction. There,,,,I've vented,,,,Phew,,, Anyway,,,Happy caching to everyone, and try not to take Dave"s statement verbatum,,I too have an EX-Wife and sometimes I make jokes about her also, but I never would really want to harm a hair on her stubborn little, know it all, heartless, cruel, empty head!! Actually,,she could'nt be all that bad,,I married her in the first place. LOL

Well said! I think a lot of us are of the same era and on the same page - just may say it a tad differently. Good luck in the hunt this year - glad there is a doe permit in the family! And for exs - I think a lot of us have them. LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Trezurs*-R-*Fun View Post
    I hear that term, "If its brown its down!" several times every hunting season. Its kind of a catchy saying, sort of like, " fishy, fishy in the brook, come and bite my baited hook." I think the latter saying is more of a traditional statement during the Maine hunting season than a reflection on someones hunting ethics. I recently came back from North Dakota and the favorite saying amoungst the bird hunters was that, "If it flies it dies!" This was not an ethical statement as I saw several hunters pass up shots on Boeing 747 and Cessnas.
    I think that when someone says any of the above statements, I think its more a statement of their dedication to the sport than an actual belief that if they saw a UPS truck go by that they would shoot it. Some hunters will only shoot "trophies" --although I think any deer legally acquired should be considered a trophy-- and other hunters will take the first legal deer they can, thus, "If it's brown, it's down."

Think Safe, Be Safe.

Cache On!!
    On the flip side I imagine having a mounted UPS truck or Boeing 747 on the living room wall next to the 12-point buck head, black bear and bobcat would be quite the conversational piece . . . they might even elicit a few more remarks than the bullmoose head mounted in the foyer!

On the serious side . . . well said . . . I think your sentiments hit the proverbial nail on the head.

Also, welcome back . . . now come on over to Unity there's been a few caches put out since you've been gone.
    "Courage is not the absence of fear, but the realization that there is something more important than fear."

"Death is only one of many ways to die."

Quote Originally Posted by Dave and Gail View Post
    I too have heard the "If it's brown it's down" saying for about the past 35 years of my hunting life. We used that saying at the hunting camps every year, meaning that the first legal deer that can be taken will be. Of course now with the Bucks only law, its narrowed down the choices a bit unless you have a Doe permit. Gail and I hunted from Dark to dark today in the rain and cold. We saw 6 deer, and came home with none. We could have shot 3 of them illegaly, as they were there just before legal shooting time, but mysteriously vanished at 6:38. The other 3 were on the side of the road, within site of 2 residences, but were over 100 yards from either . We could have legally taken 1 of them, as Gail has a doe permit this year, but we did'nt feel it was right to fire a high powered rifle within sight of anyones house, legal or not. This was very hard for Gail, because she has hunted hard the past 3 years with me and has yet to get a deer. There goes the "If it's brown its down" theory. We love the outdoors, and spending time together hunting, Geocaching, Fishing , and camping. I'm sure she will get her chance sometime, and she still is unsure if she will actually shoot one when the chance arrives,,to which I say,,thats OK. As far as the child discipline thing,,,,My mother never was afraid to dig out the spatula and whack my butt all the way across the room when I deserved it, and you never heard me pull a temper tantrum in public or say "NO" to my parents. I don't think this was abuse, it taught me respect for my parents and elders, which seems to have gone by the wayside today. We don't condone child abuse, but show me a kid that has had the fear of God put into him by a "Time Out". Sheesh!! Take a look at some of these Kids you see today, looks to me like they get to do whatever they want so their little feelings won't get hurt. They can dress anyway they like, stay out late, pierce themselves all over the place, say anything they want to anyone they want,cause they have rights!! The only right I had growing up was the right to be a kid. My adult rights came when I became an adult, not before, and priveliges were earned, not handed out. And I still did'nt turn out perfect. What chance do kids have today if parents can't or won't spend the time to steer their kids in the right direction. There,,,,I've vented,,,,Phew,,, Anyway,,,Happy caching to everyone, and try not to take Dave"s statement verbatum,,I too have an EX-Wife and sometimes I make jokes about her also, but I never would really want to harm a hair on her stubborn little, know it all, heartless, cruel, empty head!! Actually,,she could'nt be all that bad,,I married her in the first place. LOL
    Ah the good ol' days back when parents could truly discipline their child when appropriate. I remember well being smacked on the rump by Mom on more than a few occasions as a child and when I was really bad getting the belt from Dad (fortunately those occasions were far and few between.)

I'd like to think I wasn't traumatized and that the discipline worked . . . and yes, I would still call it discipline and not abuse since the punishment was only meted only when called for . . . and well after the verbal warnings, time-outs (we just called it "sitting in a corner" back then or "having to go to our room") and reward-deprivation (that's my just now-coined phrase for having to go to bed early instead of staying up to watch the Wonderful World of Disney, getting carrot sticks for a school snack instead of a rice crispie square or having a new toy temporarily taken away.)
    "Courage is not the absence of fear, but the realization that there is something more important than fear."

"Death is only one of many ways to die."