vb:literal>

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Need to upgrade

Quote Originally Posted by aaronpriest View Post
    Well, I can attest to the accuracy and speed of the 60CSx. It locks on anywhere from 5 - 45 seconds depending when I last had it on and how far I've travelled from when it was turned off. Indoors and under really dense tree foilage is downright freaky: it will lock in in less than 45 seconds usually and keep to under 50ft accuracy in the worst conditions. Under ideal conditions it is usually around 12ft accuracy. It's a major improvement in reception over the 60CS, and that was pretty good to begin with!

As with any Garmin, basemap is useless unless you are on the Interstate. I got Topo and City Navigator 8. I wish you could overlay them instead of switching between them, but it works regardless.

There aren't very many differences at all between the 60CSx and the 76CSx. You can easily upgrade the memory in the 60CSx. I got the 60CSx becuase I liked the smaller size and the button placement over the 76CSx. Also, the 60CSx has a $50 rebate right now until the end of the year. I haven't tried to see if the 60CSx floats or sinks (I've heard it doesn't sink very fast though). Both are equally as waterproof, and about the best in the industry, so... whatever floats your boat...
    Couple of questions for you......

I have been looking at the maps and the Garmin site indicates that the City Navigator 8 is not compatible with the 60CSx. Doesn't look like you have had an issue with that. Any problems or comments about the program, installing, etc?

Also did you install both City Navigator and Topo onto the card that came with the unit?

Thanks!
    ~ Beach Comber ~

Quote Originally Posted by Beach Comber View Post

I have been looking at the maps and the Garmin site indicates that the City Navigator 8 is not compatible with the 60CSx. Doesn't look like you have had an issue with that. Any problems or comments about the program, installing, etc?
    Judy,

BOTH City Navigator 8 and City Navigator NT (also edition 8) work with the 60csx. (Go to Garmin's web site, click on "Product Compatability, and you'll see that the csx is listed for both). But I'd recommend City Navigator NT as this has the latest compression technique on the DVD (also 60csx compatible). And as for the remarks in red about these not updating preinstalled maps, don't worry about this unless you bought a 60csx with preinstalled City Navigator. If all you have is the basemap (standard), this isn't updated anyway.

Thanks Bruce - I did look into these after you sent me the e-mail recently. I was reviewing each and when I searched for programs compatible with the 60CSx, I wasn't seeing them on the list. I was also looking at City Select and MetroGuide. The warning message was throwing me off as well - you must have read my mind!!! My unit is "pre-loaded" with the base stuff and I wasn't sure if that is what they were referring to. Thanks again!!
    ~ Beach Comber ~

Default City and Topo

I have loaded all of Maine and New Hampshire Topo and City Nav.v8 on my original Micro SD card. When we went to Florida I upgraded to a 1G card from Buy.com for 45.00. I now have New England Topo and the whole east coast, City Nav. on that card. I have had no problems with my 60CSx. Good luck.
    Why not live life like it is your last day....instead of pretending to be a member of the Peter Pan Club and believing you will be around forever.

Yeah, I have no problems whatsoever with City Navigator 8 and Topo 3.02 on my 60CSx. In fact, I got City Navigator 8 as a free upgrade since I had purchased 7 within the timeframe on the coupon. I have all of Maine and some of Nova Scotia, NH, and Boston on my 60CSx without upgrading the memory yet. I just wish they would allow more than 1,000 waypoints.

I can't speak for City Navigator NT as I know nothing about it. Bruce, is there a website that explains the compression technique you were referring to?

Quote Originally Posted by aaronpriest View Post
    I can't speak for City Navigator NT as I know nothing about it. Bruce, is there a website that explains the compression technique you were referring to?
    The information I was referring to was on the Garmin website under the listing for Navigator NT. Don't have any additional information on the compression scheme.

And you CAN load more than 1,000 waypoints into the 60csx - up to the amount of your memory - but you have to use Garmin's POI loader, as mentioned by someone previously in these forums. I've tried it a couple of times and it seems to work pretty good.

I have been receiving recommendations from a variety of directions and have also contacted Garmin. Here is the information that I got from Garmin regarding the various street navigation products.........

City Select - has already or will soon be discontinued
    MetroGuide - has similar data as City Navigator, though it doesn't have the turn-by-turn feature
    City Navigator and City Navigator NT - are the same product with the only difference being the compression function. I didn't get the details as to how it works, only that it compresses the data and therefore uses less storage space. There is no detectable difference from the users perspective as far as function or increased data. They are both compatible with the 60CSx and the 76CSx.

You may already know this, but thought I would share just in case.
    ~ Beach Comber ~

Post Mr

Quote Originally Posted by WhereRWe? View Post
    And you CAN load more than 1,000 waypoints into the 60csx - up to the amount of your memory - but you have to use Garmin's POI loader...
    Ah, yes, thanks for reminding me of that program! I downloaded it and never tried it out, I shall do so very soon!

Dang, I should have got City Navigator NT I suppose, though they probably would not have given me a free upgrade to it from 7?

Quote Originally Posted by Beach Comber View Post

MetroGuide - has similar data as City Navigator, though it doesn't have the turn-by-turn feature
    [
    Sounds like you DON'T want City Navigator!

Quote Originally Posted by WhereRWe? View Post
    Sounds like you DON'T want City Navigator!
    City Navigator is my software of choice, has been ordered, and is hopefully on it's way - yippeeeeeeeee.

That last statement in my previous post about the products may have come out wrong. It is Metroguide that doesn't have the turn-by-turn feature.
    ~ Beach Comber ~