vb:literal>

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Quality Caches

I have a different view about micros. I have some caches I have placed that are micros that are intended to challenge the mind and skills of the geocacher. They are not necessarily in scenic places but they are fun to try to figure out and find. I know that some of the caches I have enjoyed the most are the ones that made me think long and hard and were cleverly hidden so that it took me as much as five visits to finally figure out and find the micro. I also recognize that many people would not enjoy the locations or the difficulty of the cache but I do and some others do. That being said, I am sure all of you understand the different motivations people have for the game. I love the walks in the woods and parks but I also enjoy the challenge of a hard urban micro with lots of muggles to avoid. I tried to bridge the gap with my "Two Cache, Two Cache" hide. At this one you will find a nice trail system and an easy hide that kids will enjoy. But many of the people cannot find the micro portion of the hide. You all have good points but don't leave those of out who enjoy the difficulty factor.

I see that point, Rumblebees. As my article states if there is not an attractive location there should be something to make up for it. However, I don't like the mentality some cache hiders have that just because it's a micro a hider should feel free to place it anywhere. I'm not speaking of yours directly as I am not sure I have even done any of them. I think there are many urban locations with just a little something extra, a waterfront, a historic location, an interesting building, a tiny park, a monument - just some little indication a little thought was put into the hide as well. On a guard rail at Wal-Mart just states to me you hid it for the sake of hiding it.
    DNFTT! DNFTT! DNFTT!

"The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it..."

Post Cache quality

There is more to the cache then its location for many folks. Recently I have seen some very lame cache descriptions of some very interesting locations. I like the locations that show not only research of a quality location but of the background information supporting the location. Did a couple of great ones in Unity recently , but saw several recently posted that basicly state pay a fee and find it or you will like the great location with little else. If you are going to pay a fee there should be a explaination why one would want to pay a fee or if its a great location give an explaination why it is special to you. Many times people are not local so they like to know a little more about the area. We use them for that reason when we are travelling. We did a numbers of micros in IN this summer, where they were used to welcome you to a location or gave a great history lesson some were easy and others well we all get a DNF sooner or later. NB has a great series of trains and tanks (a personal favorite) all with good descriptions. If you don't like the information you don't have to read it but if you like the information it will give you a reason to find the cache.
    We hate mindless caches placed in the woods without a reason, nothing but the cache in a plastic bag on a tree.

Quote Originally Posted by Northwoods Explorer View Post
    There is more to the cache then its location for many folks. Recently I have seen some very lame cache descriptions of some very interesting locations. I like the locations that show not only research of a quality location but of the background information supporting the location. Did a couple of great ones in Unity recently . . ..
    Thanks . . . at least I assume that a few of these were probably my caches . . . and for the record I enjoy writing why I place a cache at a particular spot -- whether it's for the beauty of the area, the historical significance (my favorites) or simply for the challenge. In some cases, a cache may encompass all three of these and in some cases just a few.

As some of you may know, micros aren't usually "my thing" (just my personal preferences for traditional caches) so when I did a micro cache recently I tried to make it a bit more interesting by making it a little more challenging to find (although not much more) and by adding in a little history to the place.

On the flip side, when I log a cache I try to write a little about the place instead of a blase description . . . again a personal preference. I always enjoy reading about a cacher's views (good or bad) on the cache hide, the location, personal experiences, etc. rather than reading a generic comment that they make for every other cache . . . when I read a log that talks about seeing wildlife at a site, or a cache that was a challenge I feel as though the cacher took that extra bit of time to really look around and see why I placed the cache there and that it simply wasn't just another number to them.

That said . . . sometimes it can be a challenge to find something personal to write on some caches . . . but I do try to write something personal on most of them.
    "Courage is not the absence of fear, but the realization that there is something more important than fear."

"Death is only one of many ways to die."