vb:literal>

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Association or Organization

Post Association or Organization

The poll question is, Do you think we need and association or organization or should we continue as we stand today?

Well, since I brought up the subject to begin with, I guess I should comment.

I think some sort of formal organization is a good idea. Sure - geocachingmaine.org is a good forum and a lot of people communicate here, but a lot of people are not really active internet junkies. Some would the like the stability of a formal, periodic sit-down meeting.

And I still believe - as great as the regional caching events have been in the years or so we've been involved - that we should not depend on INDIVIDUALS to host events or other get-togethers.

Keep in mind that geocaching is EXPLODING right now as an "activity". Go to the geocaching.com's page about media articles and you'll see that many of them are about the rapid growth of the "sport" - not about geocaching itself.

And - referring to my original proposal - we do not have to have a "central Maine" organization. But we need to keep geography in mind. We could have regional "chapters" who could host regional events - open to everyone - but with specific responsibilities defined.

Ah, well... It's suppertime and RULOST2? had made Swiss Steak. I know my priorities...

I think maybe we should try one sit down meeting and see how it goes. But here is what I think someone needs to do to get this meeting off the ground.

First set a date.

Get a hold of everyone that we all know of by email, phone, or snail mail. There is no overlooking anyone either if we are going to make this work. We need to biggest turn out we can get to make it successful.

Had an agenda set ahead of time of what needs to be discussed and brought up at the meeting.

Have the meeting area in a central location. Like Bangor or somewhere where the middle point would be for where the furthest caches that are coming to attend.
    Blazing Troll

Thumbs up Meeting

Where are we going with this? Has it just fallen thru the cracks. When we all met at the WWWWWW, we couldn't wait to get together again. The same thing with the many trips to The Tidal Cache. Thanks to those, who arranged the time and places. When are we going to get together again? Do we want to set a time to do winter friendly caching, or set a time further out for the early spring? A month from now will be mid March or early April. Can we get together somehere in the middle of the area, and do some special, or interesting finds? Along with a meeting, if necessary. Maybe we can discuss next week on " the Chat ".
    Why not live life like it is your last day....instead of pretending to be a member of the Peter Pan Club and believing you will be around forever.

Thumbs up Me too, me too!

I second the gathering idea! Brad had mentioned possibly doing something on 4/16 as it is CITO day. Perhaps he can give us an update on that idea.

Default Winter group cache?

We are meeting Mainiac1957 on Saturday morning, Feb12, to do the Etna Bog cache. Anyone interested in coming along is certainly welcome. You will most likely need snowshoes. If we can drive to the parking area, it is under a half mile walk. I have an extra pair of snowshoes for anyone who wants to go but doesn't have them.
    Last edited by parmachenee; 02-10-2005 at 12:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Team2hunt
    Where are we going with this? Has it just fallen thru the cracks. When we all met at the WWWWWW, we couldn't wait to get together again. The same thing with the many trips to The Tidal Cache. Thanks to those, who arranged the time and places. When are we going to get together again?
    I think that if someone sets up an event cache, there'll be plenty of attendees!

That's why we set up the WWWWWW event. There was a lot of talk but nothing concrete, so we decided to do it.

Go for it! LOL!

Quote Originally Posted by parmachenee
    We are meeting Mainiac1957 on Saturday morning, Feb12, to do the Etna Bog cache. Anyone interested in coming along is certainly welcome. You will most likely need snowshoes. If we can drive to the parking area, it is under a half mile walk. I have an extra pair of snowshoes for anyone who wants to go but doesn't have them.
    Sheesh! I'd love to do this, but with a foot of new snow on the ground, I'd have a heart attack before I got back, and I know you wouldn't drag me back! LOL!

I've snowshoed enough times to know that it's tough. Good luck to you all!

Quote Originally Posted by WhereRWe?
    ... I'd have a heart attack before I got back, and I know you wouldn't drag me back! LOL!
    Geez Bruce...we wouldn't leave you there!! That would put the beer industry into a downward spiral they might never recover from!

Yeah - but...

I hope you realize how tough snowshoeing through a foot of new snow for 1/2 a mile will be! LOL!

I'd rather wait until summer and hike through the bog.

We had planned to do Etna Bog yesterday, but our feet were wet and we were planning on having lunch at the Grand Asian Buffet in Waterville after doing the other caches in the morning. After lunch, we didn't feel like doing ANYTHING.

Gotta try the Grand Asian Buffet. Wednesday special is $3.99, and even though it's BUSY, they keep the buffet really filled up. Best $3.99 lunch I've ever had...