vb:literal>

Thread: When To Mark "Missing"?

Question When To Mark "Missing"?

When do you mark a TB or coin "missing"? The icon stays on a cache long after the item has disappeared. I waited 2 months on one, e-mailed the person who took it (their e-mail address no longer existed), posted a note, but still people kept coming to "find" the coin. In another case, I adopted a cache that had a TB missing for 2 years. Is there any way to get an icon off your cache other than marking it missing? Should only the owner of the item in question mark it missing?

When my travel bug went missing, I knew because it was noted missing in a log, I left it there for a bit. Finally I noted it missing and then just took it out, claimed it as found. I hate to go to a cache where the TB's and coins have been missing for a LONG time and no one has bothered to remove them from the page. It should be listed as cache etiquet. If you have contacted the owner of the bug, can you just take it out? I would if they haven't responded.

Default Travel Bug Graveyard

Hi. I don't know if this helps, but a couple of days ago my first Travel Bug got lost at sea without even traveling 1 mile. I found a Travel Bug Graveyard cache site where you can "officially" drop off TB's. You'll be amazed at how many are in this graveyard! By doing this, I removed the TB from my inventory. If for some reason it ever showed up again, you have the option of removing it from the cemetery. Go to waypoint GC72A8.
    This is my first post; forgive me if I am repeating info that is here already!
    Jen (Steve'sSister)

Steve'sSister - this is a great site and thanks for bringing it up here. TBs and coins that vanish are a concern for all - let's all promote moving them on. It is also nice to know a place to bury them - and keep good records because some day, some time you might want to exhume them.

Also - ideas of what to do when folks pick up TBs and coins and have them posted as in their hands but don't move them along would be helpful. My daughter had a new cute TB she put in a hotel and it was picked up by a fairly active cacher. This has been in their possession for several months with not action - what is the right thing to do - email them, wait - what to do? Obviously a TB was not put out to be picked up and just sit in one's Swag bag.

Sharing information and exchanging ideas improves our sport.

Have seen that cemetary before but it's good to know for future use. Glad to have you aboard and don't forget our links section and also About Geocaching Maine/ Tools sections in the nav bar at the top.
    Just smile it won't crack your face

The statistics on sanity are that one out of every four persons is
    suffering from some sort of mental illness. Think of your three best
    friends -- if they're okay, then it's you.

Quote Originally Posted by hollora View Post
    Steve'sSister - this is a great site and thanks for bringing it up here. TBs and coins that vanish are a concern for all - let's all promote moving them on. It is also nice to know a place to bury them - and keep good records because some day, some time you might want to exhume them.

Also - ideas of what to do when folks pick up TBs and coins and have them posted as in their hands but don't move them along would be helpful. My daughter had a new cute TB she put in a hotel and it was picked up by a fairly active cacher. This has been in their possession for several months with not action - what is the right thing to do - email them, wait - what to do? Obviously a TB was not put out to be picked up and just sit in one's Swag bag.

Sharing information and exchanging ideas improves our sport.
    What I usually do after a couple of months if they havent moved them is just email them a reminder, sometimes people just forget they have them. I've never owned my own TB but I too like to see TB's moved along and always keep an active list of ones I've moved along to see where they end up. On many occasions looking at the list and seeing that a certain one hasn't moved in some time I'll just email them to find out if they still indeed have it. Most people will return the email and shortly after return the TB to action once again.
    Just smile it won't crack your face

The statistics on sanity are that one out of every four persons is
    suffering from some sort of mental illness. Think of your three best
    friends -- if they're okay, then it's you.

My original question was intended to be more like "If somebody else's TB or coin is in MY cache and is removed and not logged what should I do?" I did mark a coin "missing" after 2 months because people saw the icon and kept coming to look for it. And that was the only way I could find to get rid of the icon. Finally it was logged and moved and the fact that I had marked it "missing" didn't seem to bother the process any.

And my TB that someone had for 5 months just surfaced again. Go Mikey!

Know what you mean about TBs reappearing. I had a Jazzy Cat TB which I launched during the Folk Festival. It was taken by a cacher, logged and then placed in another cache and logged. The TB had a baggie and a Passport.

Maine cacher friends went to the location of the cache and all they could find was the Passport (which they brought home to me). The TB was missing. I posted a notice on the cache page.

The original cacher who placed the bug went back to the cache and read the logs. He identified the cacher who had logged taking the bug. I emailed them to remind them to log it. They denied taking it and actually said they had done so many caches that day they couldn't remember but didn't have the bug.

Months later, this past week - I received an email the TB had been found and picked up - yup, you guessed it - out of the cache from which it had disappeared.

So sometimes missing bugs do return. There is just no explanation.

Marking a bug missing should not really effect it much. Once someone goes in with the number to log it - they can move it along - even if missing once.