vb:literal>

Thread: Veterans Day

Default Veterans Day

Please remember that Saturday is Veteran's Day, when Americans are asked to honor the sacrifices of those who served in the US military, always ready to defend this country when called upon.

Please honor our veterans. There is a new initiative to get veterans to proudly wear their ribbons on Veterans Day so that they will be recognized. If you see a veteran wearing his(her) ribbons/medals, please stop and say "Thanks".

Probably the best testimonial to "those that served" was General Douglas MacArthur's farewell speech, given to the Corps of Cadets at West Point on May 12, 1962, better know as his "Duty, Honor, Country" speech. I hope you will read it and please, remember to thank a vet.

Last summer we went to Great Lakes Training Center, Illinois to see our younger son graduate from Navy boot camp. After graduation, the sailors were given liberty for the weekend, and (besides doing some geocaching),we took our son to dinner. We were pleasantly surprised to find that someone had anonymously paid for our dinner (our son was in uniform), and when we left, the man sitting at the next table (not the person who bought dinner) rose to shake my son's hand. Sheesh! Nearly brought tears to my eyes! (And this was in an area when several hundred boot camp graduates are let loose EVERY weekend!!!) Don't be embarrassed. Go up to a vet and shake his(her) hand. You'll make their day!

Smile That's a good story

It's really nice to see that people are willing to recognize the young service persons. I see on the news tonight that a new Veterans park has just opened in Skowhegan. Looks like a good place for a cache.
    Happy Trails!

I remember you telling that story after you returned, Bruce. That is very touching! I often have the opportunity to do ultrasound examinations on couples where the husband is in a branch of the services. I always thank them for their efforts. On occasion, I have the mom in the room and the dad on the phone, usually in Iraq, listening to the findings of the exam. When I see people in uniform, I thank them as well.

Thanks to all who share their lives in such a way - it is truly appreciated!
    ~ Beach Comber ~

It's nice to see that in todays world things are different then they were in the late sixties.I can remember hitch hiking home in 1968 from New River Air Station in North Carolina.I was just outside of Boston,in my marine corp uniform,when a car load of jerks went by yelling obscenities and throwing beer cans at me.Time has a way of mellowing things.

I also hope that we learned a lesson from the past experiences of our friends that served during the Vietnam and other wars. Those individuals should be praised and thanked, not treated poorly or ridiculed.
    ~ Beach Comber ~

Quote Originally Posted by vicbiker View Post
    just outside of Boston,in my marine corp uniform,when a car load of jerks went by yelling obscenities and throwing beer cans at me.
    Sheesh! And I'll bet all the cans were EMPTY, too! LOL!

I'm glad the military won't repeat the lack of recognition that military members returning from Viet Nam experienced. During Desert Storm, when a plane load of troops returned from the gulf to Ft Bragg, NC (where I was stationed), EVERY plane had to be met by a General Officer, a band, and as many troops as they could round up.

And I'm really glad that so many planes returning from the mid-east that stop for fuel in Bangor are met by a lot of locals.

We were caching at Bug Light on Saturday and it was interesting to see all the Veterans and families visiting. There were many in wheelchairs enjoying the ship with the panels.

Just remember - Freedom is not Free!

Quote Originally Posted by hollora View Post
    We were caching at Bug Light on Saturday and it was interesting to see all the Veterans and families visiting.
    Sheesh! No wonder! Most veterans LOVE Bud Light!

(Oh, wait... That's a different thread... )