vb:literal>

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: RE: How do I unzip . . .

Quote Originally Posted by attroll View Post
    Yes tell us how you like the Windows Vista addition Brice? I have not been paying much attention to it. I know Vista business addition is already out, but the home addition is not due until January. I know you took on the roll as as beta tester, so maybe you could shed some light on it for us?
    I've had Vista RC1 (release candidate 1) for a couple of months. Trouble was, my PC had died so I put it on my son's computer, which had a lot slower processor and not much memory - barely enough system to support Vista. Like most things, "new and improved" isn't necessarily that, and I'm in no rush to buy Vista when it comes out.

Here's a link to a review on CNET that will say a lot more.

In my opinion, If you've got Windows XP, I don't see any real need to upgrade.

Quote Originally Posted by WhereRWe? View Post
    I've had Vista RC1 (release candidate 1) for a couple of months. Trouble was, my PC had died so I put it on my son's computer, which had a lot slower processor and not much memory - barely enough system to support Vista. Like most things, "new and improved" isn't necessarily that, and I'm in no rush to buy Vista when it comes out.

Here's a link to a review on CNET that will say a lot more.

In my opinion, If you've got Windows XP, I don't see any real need to upgrade.
    The only reason I would upgraded is because of the limit ammount of memory that Windows XP will allow a computer to access. Thanks. I will go read the review.
    Blazing Troll

Quote Originally Posted by firefighterjake View Post
    OK, bear with me folks . . . next question.

I have run Pocket Queries and have a lot of cache info on the GSAK program.

I have also downloaded Cachemate to the Palm's SD card.

How do I get the GSAK into to the Cachemate on the Palm?
    First, install the Palm Desktop software that came with the PDA onto your PC. This is needed to load Cachemate onto the Palm. If you need help with this part let me know.

Open GSAK and pick File from the top left hand of the window.

Choose "Export"

Then choose "CacheMate PDB file"

A window will pop up that asks for a file name, make one up and enter it.

In the center of the window there is a check box "Install to palm after conversion"; pick it.

Then press "generate" at the bottom and you should have lots of caches on your PDA.

Don't forget to Hotsync though or it won't happen.
    Just smile it won't crack your face

The statistics on sanity are that one out of every four persons is
    suffering from some sort of mental illness. Think of your three best
    friends -- if they're okay, then it's you.

Quote Originally Posted by tat View Post
    First, install the Palm Desktop software that came with the PDA onto your PC. This is needed to load Cachemate onto the Palm. If you need help with this part let me know.

Open GSAK and pick File from the top left hand of the window.

Choose "Export"

Then choose "CacheMate PDB file"

A window will pop up that asks for a file name, make one up and enter it.

In the center of the window there is a check box "Install to palm after conversion"; pick it.

Then press "generate" at the bottom and you should have lots of caches on your PDA.
    I did this before . . . and did it again per your advice and I keep getting the same message -- "You cannot create a file here -- that folder does not exist."

Any more suggestions?
    "Courage is not the absence of fear, but the realization that there is something more important than fear."

"Death is only one of many ways to die."

I did this before . . . and did it again per your advice and I keep getting the same message -- "You cannot create a file here -- that folder does not exist."

Any more suggestions?
    Never mind . . . I had an epiphany . . . an epihany . . . a revelation (there, I'm pretty sure I know how to spell that) as to why it wasn't working and lo and behold I was right . . . I have to tell ya it's pretty exciting to see all those caches there. Now all I have to do is find some time to go geocaching.
    "Courage is not the absence of fear, but the realization that there is something more important than fear."

OK, I've already been playing with Cachemate and GSAK and I have a few more questions.

1) How often do you run your Pocket Queries?

2) How do folks set up their PQs (i.e. by date, by geography, etc.) . . . I want to be sure I get all the geocaches listed for Maine and get the current info sent to me on a regular basis so any suggestions would be welcome. I think I remember reading that Becket has her's sorted by dates for example, while Dave1976 has his sorted geographically . . . I'd love to know exactly how folks have the info sorted for the PQ so I could emulate them.

3) Is it possible to set up a separate GSAK/Cachemate file . . . for example if I was visiting my brother in law in CT and wanted to get info on CT caches in the area, but didn't want them to merge with the info on Maine caches can I do this?

OK, I've already been playing with Cachemate and GSAK and I have a few more questions.

1) How often do you run your Pocket Queries?
    Daily,,,Why not, I get 5 PQ's per day

2) How do folks set up their PQs (i.e. by date, by geography, etc.) . . . I want to be sure I get all the geocaches listed for Maine and get the current info sent to me on a regular basis so any suggestions would be welcome. I think I remember reading that Becket has her's sorted by dates for example, while Dave1976 has his sorted geographically . . . I'd love to know exactly how folks have the info sorted for the PQ so I could emulate them.
    I do mine by Date...your limited to 500 caches per PQ, if you break down the dates into 18 month increments since the "beginning" your almost assured of getting all the caches in the state. (The first PQ's could even be 24-30 month from the very beginning since there weren't that many caches for the first couple of years)

3) Is it possible to set up a separate GSAK/Cachemate file . . . for example if I was visiting my brother in law in CT and wanted to get info on CT caches in the area, but didn't want them to merge with the info on Maine caches can I do this?
    Yes, create a Database with another name and import the info you want into that database. You can create countless databases and soon will have databases that you will never use but they will exist "just in case"

Yeah what Steve said

This is how I do mine. Boy a lot of questions....... I just run my PQ's the evening before or the day that I plan on going caching,that way they are current. Nothing worse to go caching and find out after looking for an hour that the cache had been disabled or archived. Just make sure to check the box that says run this query once and delete. Usually it will run within seconds

As far as the way I get them, I do mine by date,depending on how many caches you have already found. I usually have to run 3 0r 4 to get the whole state. Jan 01 to Dec 31 01 to 03 : Jan 01 to Dec 31 04 to 05 then Jan 01 to Dec 31 06 to 07. It wasnt too long ago that 1 PQ was all I needed for the whole state but that has certainly changed.

You can create a filter for any type or location for any caches that you want in as many databases as you want as well. It's just a matter of changing the names.

I'm not very good at giving directions over the puter,it's much easier showing a person live but hope that helped somewhat.

I'm sure others do it differently than me but that's how I do it. Oh yeah one other thing to keep in mind is if you need help with GSAK they have an excellent forum strictly for GSAK here: http://www.gsak.net/board/
    Just smile it won't crack your face

The statistics on sanity are that one out of every four persons is
    suffering from some sort of mental illness. Think of your three best
    friends -- if they're okay, then it's you.

Saw the other 2 answers to this question, but...

You really don't need separate databases as far as I can see. All your caches can go into GSAK, and then filter out the group of caches you want.

For example, you can create a filter to show only those caches in CT, then export this file to Cachemate (and/or to Street Atlas or TOPO USA on your computer). We've done this MANY times when caching in different states, etc.

If you need specific instructions on creating the filter, just ask.