vb:literal>

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Quality Caches

Default Quality Caches

Is it just me or does it seem that of late that the cache quality in our state is getting to be quite low? Seems like everyday I see less and less effort going into cache placement and the micro seems to be the cache of choice. Don't get me wrong, there are some great micros placed as well as some pretty bad traditional caches being placed as well. I think what really got my attention this morning was when I read about a new cache that was placed at a transfer station. Isn't a transfer station just a better word for the DUMP? I know nothing about the placers of this cache and I'm sure there was some good reason for placing this in their eyes, but for me I think there are more appealing and appropriate places for even the micro that seems it be taking over the state recently. Sorry if this seems cruel to some but I just had to vent about something and I think this is just my attempt at trying to get others to place caches that really have some thought put into their placement and not just thrown out the window of a moving automobile as you drive by.
    Just smile it won't crack your face

The statistics on sanity are that one out of every four persons is
    suffering from some sort of mental illness. Think of your three best
    friends -- if they're okay, then it's you.

Quote Originally Posted by Haffy View Post
    Is it just me or does it seem that of late that the cache quality in our state is getting to be quite low? Seems like everyday I see less and less effort going into cache placement and the micro seems to be the cache of choice.
    I fully agree. I think a micro has a place, usually somewhere you can't place anything larger, but still a place where there is a REASON for being there.

Since we've found more caches than most, in more than 20 states, we have a pretty good idea of the trend in caching. While in Tennessee this simmer,we just got disgusted and returned to our motel. The attitude seemed to be that a location "needed a cache" because there wasn't one within 1/4 mile, so behind the phone booth went another magnetic key box.

People need to get out and see Maine. We had a great trip to the Rangeley area a couple of days ago, and found some great caches - even some really cute micros. And there are STILL a lot of great locations for good caches out there.

I ask this question sometimes when I am caching too. Upon arrival at the location I sometimes scratch my head and say........ HUH? What in the world is there a cache here for or why is this type of container used? ..... Then I remind myself about the diversity that this hobby holds - cachers, cache types, locations, etc. I am usually not privvy to the reason behind the placement so remembering that everyone brings their own perspective and interest to the game is helpful. Unless it is spelled out in the description, etc. I won't know what I will find until I get there. That is one of the great mysteries about the hunt. Sometimes I get there and I am in awe of what I see and others times I'm not. Just part of the game.
    ~ Beach Comber ~

The irony here is that out of the 11 caches I have personally placed, the ones that are most visited are the "park and grab". I'll go as far as to hypothosize that this is to help increase ones numbers quickly. Why do 1 or 2 caches in a day that require lots of walking when you can do 20 - 25 in one day driving. Lets face it, it is about the numbers, there are even websites dedicated to cachers "rankings" based on their number of finds. So going back to your statement Haffy, the Park and grab caches are popular for that reason. I, personally, place my caches so that they are found, if I wanted them to be unfound I would be more into terracaching
    where ones rank goes up if the cache remains unfound. I think people are placing caches based on what is popular and that is placing caches that can be found within a few feet of the vehicle.

Saying that the quality of caches is going down though is not totally fair. There are still many "good" ones being placed, either in location or concept behind the cache. Like Beach Comber stated, caching means different things to different people. To some its the challenge, to others its being exposed to new locations and yet to others its about the numbers. There is plenty of room for everyone!!!

The key here is to stay focused on why you got into geocaching.

Cache On!!1

I have to be honest . . . I recently placed a cache and I had to really think long and hard before deciding to place it. I say this because the area wasn't really that scenic and it meant that I would have to use a micro.

Since micros are not my favorite type of cache (only my personal choice) I have tried to avoid using them whenever possible . . . I have used one for my Fill 'er Up cache due to the landowners (town) asking to not go very far from the roadside and a few micros as the first step in a multi-stage cache as I wanted folks to go to a location for the view (i.e. Bryer's Beach) before looking for the actual cache.

In the end I opted to go ahead with the cache as I felt the history of the location would be of some interest to geocachers . . . coupled with the fact that it requires a degree of stealth (I hope) and it is in (I think) a nice hiding spot (although not too tricky) and I could offer a clever clue with it.

That said . . . this isn't my favorite cache that I've placed, but as BC mentioned geocaching offers a little bit of something for everybody . . . whether it be a quick, urban micro (Once Bartlett's . . .) or a slightly longer walk/drive (Book-nobile).

I must also confess that I am starting to rethink my own "policy" of attempting to hide 1 cache for every 25 of my finds. While I am still committed to trying to do this in an effort to create new caches in the area for geocachers (old and new) I also believe that there will come a time when I will be unable to maintain the caches to the degree that I prefer (i.e. checking them every Spring and whenever there are a few DNFs on a single cache) . . . and I honestly do not want to get to the point of placing caches in guardrails just because there is a guardrail nearby (at least that is my hope . . . and again, nothing against the guardrail caches . . . to be honest I've found a few of these types of caches that actually brought me to a pretty view of a lake, stream, etc.)
    "Courage is not the absence of fear, but the realization that there is something more important than fear."

"Death is only one of many ways to die."

John, things sure have changed since we started--eh? 100 caches used to be a darned respectable number of finds--now there's probably 100 caches within 20 miles of us. Not caring one whit about "the numbers" (I have nothing whatsoever against those that do, btw), I think, makes it easier to pick and chose which caches to do--heck, I haven't logged probably my last 40-50 finds--can't get more anti-numbers than that! It just goes with the territory--there are only a finite number of "nice" spots available--when those are gone, I guess it's lamp post micro time--sigh!

d’76 Guest

I have to admit that I was a huge advocate to get rid of Micros. I hated them. I found many of them had no redeming qualities other than a number. However, there are times that i am just to tired to go on a big hike or a long all day drive for one cache or two. I have found that on rainy days or days that i just dont want to do alot of walking (being lazy) I rather enjoy the park and grabs.

I found that after all the bitching that I did about the dalmations I have done many of them and can say that I have enjoyed it along the way.

So yes in some aspects there are not alot of caches that are getting placed that are great adventures to you or I but some will enjoy them. There will be some I am sure soon enough that we will have a blast doing.

Havent talked to you in awhile John. How are things.

Default Well, I have numbers

As I approach the 500 mark, I realize that numbers are important in this game to a lot of people. I am not a big numbers' person and I have refused to find a cache that is on a guard rail, five feet in front of me, because I thought the location was lame. I had fun posting the DNF on that one because the cache owner was wonderfully honest about it's location.
    I love the long hikes and kayak trips to find one cache. Hey, it took TAT and I one weekend to grab a cache (Seal Trap Cache GC8437)! Besides that one, my all-time favorites include Dave1976's "Gorge"ous (GCPETB), "Air as Myth Geocache" (GCX69W) placed by the Parksville Prowler (my brother-in-law), Out on a Ledge Cache (GCPKRG), and some solo Nova Scotia and Seattle hikes. Yet, when I place a cache I tend to think of my Mum and Dad and families that like geocaching. They usually are kid and elderly (sorry Mum and Dad) friendly. So, each person has their reason to cache. Yes, I tend to lean Haffy's way... but that's a shared reason why we cache.

I've gotta say that it's too bad "the numbers" get control of some people. I think that's what's behind the big increase in meaningless "park and grab" micros in Maine. There is no reason for most of these "urban" caches other than to facilitate the stats.

As a matter of fact, I once over heard one cacher bragging about his "position" in the numbers game, and the fact that "nobody noticed" how fast he was moving up. I kept my mouth shut instead of pointing out that it was probably that nobody really cared...

You can find several posts I have made here and on other sites predicting Maine was coming to this point. Diversity is a good thing , but quality suffers as soon as haste due to elements like competitions, addiction to numbers, the rush to hide a cache at a location before someone else does, and other factors present themselves. I could see this heading our way just by following the gc.com forums and see what was happening in the more populated areas. When you can go to a park without a GPS and just look under every park bench and on every light pole and get 10 caches in an hour, it's hard to imagine they were placed for anything but the numbers.

Once again I take this opportunity to plug my Anatomy of a Great Cache Hide article in hopes future hiders might read it and consider what it says before placing a cache. Perhaps people who have placed caches can see how well those caches match my opinion (as well as other cacher's opinions, I hope) of what a great cache hide is.
    DNFTT! DNFTT! DNFTT!

"The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it..."