vb:literal>

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Another Delorme victory!

Default Congrats!!

Seems like just yesterday. I loved the trip, being up north is a beautiful place to be. And congrats on the milestone cache too. My truck has now hosted 3 DeLorme conquers. Wouldn't you think I would be done by now.
    Why not live life like it is your last day....instead of pretending to be a member of the Peter Pan Club and believing you will be around forever.

Quote Originally Posted by Team2hunt View Post
    My truck has now hosted 3 DeLorme conquers.
    Gals, I think we found our driver! Woo hoo!

Default Thanks....but

Quote Originally Posted by cameoooooo View Post
    Gals, I think we found our driver! Woo hoo!

Holy cow! Some of those caches are in the middle of nowhere. But then again.....OK!!
    Why not live life like it is your last day....instead of pretending to be a member of the Peter Pan Club and believing you will be around forever.

Just a question...

How do you keep track of your Delorme finds? Do you load all your finds into Street Atlas and then manually stick pins in the paper maps? Or is there a way to put the paper map boundaries into Street Atlas?

d’76 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by WhereRWe? View Post
    Just a question...

How do you keep track of your Delorme finds? Do you load all your finds into Street Atlas and then manually stick pins in the paper maps? Or is there a way to put the paper map boundaries into Street Atlas?
    Some one put an excel data base togeather and posted it here some where. Then you use it in GSAK and all the work is done for you. I think it was TAT and Sabby but I am not sure.

Quote Originally Posted by WhereRWe? View Post
    Just a question...

When the Challenge was first posted, several utilities came out. The one that made it the easiest for me was a set of tracks that I could display in Mapsource; brdad created them. The tracks show the page/map boundaries as white lines across the Maine Mapsource map. I then added a waypoint for each map with the map number. Red circles showed the exempt maps, green flags showed maps I had, and red blocks marked the maps I needed. I save this as a separate Mapsource file called delorme.gdb.

I also use GSAK extensively. Using the export function filtered to caches I'e found in Maine, I create a Mapsource file called maineFinds.gdb. I then take the tracks from delorme.gdb and copy them into this new file. I also do the same with the waypoints with the map numbers and symbols. It's pretty easy to see where I've already done a map. As I progressed, I changed the symbols from red blocks to green flags in the delorme.gdb file. As I did so, I also copied the waypoint I was claiming for the map back into the delorme.gdb.

You can find a zip file of my delorme.gdb (renamed maine-delorme-challenge.gdb to be clearer) at www.kayakerinme.com/delorme/maine-delorme-challenge.zip

This also works very well for planning purposes. From GSAK, I export a file with all active Maine caches then copy-and-paste the tracks and waypoints into that Mapsource file. It's easy to see which caches are on which pages. On several occasions I traveled just to the first cache on a map then hopped back over. This was particularly useful when we (T2H, KK, etc) traveled northward to the event in September.

All the credit goes back to brdad for creating the track files in the first place. Before that I was using my own spreadsheets and the .csv files with GSAK and trying to figure it all out. The Mapsource tracks give me a way to visualize the state and know what I had done and what I needed to do.

I haven't tried any of this with Street Atlas or Topo USA but with Mapsource I didn't have any need to do so.

Quote Originally Posted by kayakerinme View Post

You can find a zip file of my delorme.gdb (renamed maine-delorme-challenge.gdb to be clearer) at www.kayakerinme.com/delorme/maine-delorme-challenge.zip
    I get a "file not found" error with this link. I'll see if I can search the forums to find the original post.

Then I hope someone will be at the event next week that can help me after I've given up in frustration! LOL!

(Edit - OK - I found the problem - needed to go directly to your site, not gcmaine.org - and found the file. I'll try it and see what happens)

Quote Originally Posted by kayakerinme View Post
    Sorry about the link. Apparently I didn't paste something propery in the link box. How about this one?

http://www.kayakerinme.com/delorme/m...-challenge.zip

Cool! Thanks. I am almost there - I am a new MapSource user so am learning the ropes. I have cleared your waypoints and info from the map and saved it on my system to import mine. I have generated PQ's with my finds from GC.com and have loaded these into GSAK. Here is where I am stuck - two questions.........

In what file type is it best to save data in GSAK to import into MapSource?
    When in MapSource how do I import the data from GSAK? I am only seeing a way to receive information from my GPS, but nothing else.

Thanks for your help!!
    ~ Beach Comber ~

Here is a link to a post from Sabby about an excel file. Hope it helps anyone who might need it.